The quiet authoritarianism of the 2008/2009 bank bailout

1 hour ago, Nokra said:

Fascinating read, thanks. Have you read the book mentioned, @SFLUFAN  (Crashed)? Or anyone else? I'm intrigued but knowing as little as I do about these kinds of financial matters I'm worried it might be way over my head. 

I haven't read Tooze's new book yet (probably going to ask for it as a Christmas present), but I have read his previous book The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy and found it to be perfectly understandable for someone who isn't well-versed in deep financial matters.  Tooze very much writes popular histories for mass audiences.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've read that a good alternative could have been for the government to simply pay off a lot of these mortgages instead of just bailing the companies out, but I don't know enough about the situation to say if that would have been a good idea.

That notion was very much an idea that was floated in "fringe" economic circles at the time, but has gained greater credence in subsequent years.

5 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've read that a good alternative could have been for the government to simply pay off a lot of these mortgages instead of just bailing the companies out, but I don't know enough about the situation to say if that would have been a good idea.

But the government only exists to help corporations, not the economy or individual familes/people! C'mon now.