Gaza/Israel Update (09/02): general strike/mass protests in Israel pressure Netanyahu to agree to cease-fire deal

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm not sure the US calling for a unilateral ceasefire will actually accomplish anything good in the long term for either the Israelis or Palestinians.  The only way the bloodshed stops at this point is for Hamas to capitulate and accept that Israel will occupy Gaza.

Exactly, Hamas crossed a redline for Israel and there’s no way they will back off. Hamas surrenders or Gaza is obliterated, there are no other options now.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

Biden is in a tough spot. I don't think he wants another issue to chip away at his popularity. 

This isn't an American problem so he should do what the right thing is because just stepping away is not the right choice. Let history make it's own judgement. 

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Game pass going up blame Sleepy Joe!

Never forget dozens of American bases were attacked and American service members were injured by Iran under Trump and we did nothing in response. But he is still the one we need to lead us during this or something cause eggs are expensive!

I thought his SIL was gonna fix this issue? Chalk another issue up to Trump.

• Halal 1

WWW.ALJAZEERA.COM

Israeli military says it destroyed unidentified ‘aerial target’ and separately intercepted surface-to-surface missile.

Yemen’s Houthi rebels claim they launched a “large number” of ballistic missiles and drones towards Israel and warned of more attacks to come.

Israel earlier said it destroyed an unidentified “aerial target” over the Red Sea on Tuesday morning.

“There was no threat or risk to civilians,” the Israeli military said.

The incident triggered air raid sirens in the popular Red Sea tourist resort of Eilat and sent residents running for shelter.

Separately, the Israeli military said that it used the “Arrow” aerial defence system for the first time since the October 7 outbreak of the war with Hamas to intercept a surface-to-surface missile in the Red Sea fired towards its territory.

Yahya Saree, a spokesperson for the Houthi’s military, said the operation was the third targeting Israel and threatened to carry out more strikes “until the Israeli aggression stops.”

Earlier, a senior Houthi official told the AFP news agency that the Iran-backed Yemeni group had sent drones towards southern Israel.

“These drones belong to the state of Yemen,” Abdelaziz bin Habtour, prime minister of the Houthi government, said.

lol.  I fucking hate the "disproportionate response argument." It's so fucking stupid. Someone breaks into my house with a knife and goes after my fiancé I have to grab my gladius and not my assault rifle cause proportionate response herp-derp.

• stepee 1

Just now, TUFKAK said:

lol.  I fucking hate the "disproportionate response argument." It's so fucking stupid. Someone breaks into my house with a knife and goes after my fiancé I have to grab my gladius and not my assault rifle cause proportionate response herp-derp.

I've always been 🤷‍♂️ on Bernie and this just a reminder of how 🤷‍♂️ he is. Sounds good, idealistic, not reality. 

1 minute ago, TUFKAK said:

What about when the person you keep imprisoned in your basement breaks out and attacks your wife with a knife.

APNEWS.COM

A flurry of Israeli airstrikes Tuesday on a refugee camp near Gaza City leveled apartment buildings, leaving craters where they once stood.

A  flurry of Israeli airstrikes Tuesday on a refugee camp near Gaza City leveled apartment buildings, leaving craters where they once stood, as ground troops battled Hamas militants across northern Gaza and attacked underground compounds.

Buoyed by the first successful rescue of a captive held by Hamas, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected calls for a cease-fire and again vowed to crush Hamas’ ability to govern Gaza or threaten Israel following its bloody Oct. 7 rampage, which ignited the war.

Several hundred thousand Palestinians remain in the northern part of Gaza, where Israeli troops and tanks reportedly have advanced on several sides of Gaza City, the sprawling urban center.

In the Jabaliya refugee camp on Gaza City’s outskirts, at least six airstrikes destroyed a number of apartment blocks in a residential area, the Hamas-run Interior Ministry said. It reported a large number of casualties but did not immediately provide details.

Footage of the scene from Al-Jazeera TV showed at least four large craters where buildings once stood, amid a large swath of rubble surrounded by partially collapsed structures. Dozens of rescue workers and bystanders dug through the wreckage, searching for survivors beneath the pancaked buildings. A group of young men pulled two children from the upper floors of a damaged apartment block, cradling them as they climbed down.

UNRWA, which hundreds of thousands of people in Gaza rely on for basic services even in normal times, says 64 of its staff have been killed since the start of the war, including a man killed alongside his wife and eight children in a strike late Monday.

“This is the highest number ever of U.N. aid workers killed in any conflict around the world in such a short time,” spokesperson Juliette Touma told The Associated Press. “UNRWA will never be the same without these colleagues.”

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
APNEWS.COM

A flurry of Israeli airstrikes Tuesday on a refugee camp near Gaza City leveled apartment buildings, leaving craters where they once stood.

I went to Dreamland, I saw what we did to that place, one might call it "disproportionate."

3 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Hamas propagandists have done a great job of confusing liberals by using language of oppression. Every time they compare the situation to Native Americans I cringe as it's fucking disgusting, I say as someone who actually has indigenous family living in mountains. 

So please enlighten us "confused liberals" as to the substantive differences.

Hamas propagandists have done a great job of confusing liberals by using language of oppression. Every time they compare the situation to Native Americans I cringe as it's fucking disgusting, I say as someone who actually has indigenous family living in mountains. 

lol.

You think Americans give a fuck about natives. It's just something they say to virtue signal.

I went to Shiprock as an emergency response RN during the pandemic, nobody cares about them at all, you had Americans complaining that they turned people away from tribal lands.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TUFKAK said:

Except this isn’t only what happened here. Someone broke into your house, you shot them dead and then you shot a missile toward their house to kill their brother, who planned this with them, and their wife and children who had nothing to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

Except this isn’t only what happened here. Someone broke into your house, you shot them dead and you shot a missile toward their house to kill their brother, who planned this with them, and their wife and children who had nothing to do with it. 

Using this example, you shoot at me from your brothers house, I shot back with a higher caliber weapon and it hits your family who was in the house with you. Was I just supposed to let you shoot at my house with no response?

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

So please enlighten us "confused liberals" as to the substantive differences.

1- Unless you're native American you TOO are a Colonialist. The children of colonialism crying about it happening elsewhere while reaping the benefits of it is fucking ridiculous. 

2- I don't see Israel as Colonialism, they clearly have a history there! But even if you want to look at recent history, they were placed there in a difficult circumstance and have no other option but to defend themselves. 

• stepee 1

1- Unless you're native American you TOO are a Colonialist. The children of colonialism crying about it happening elsewhere while reaping the benefits of it is fucking ridiculous. 

2- I don't see Israel as Colonialism, they clearly have a history there! But even if you want to look at recent history, they were placed there in a difficult circumstance and have no other option but to defend themselves. 

Capitalism and exploitation is bad. 

Sent from my iPhone.

• Sicko Sherman 1

Just now, TUFKAK said:

Using this example, you shoot at me from your brothers house, I shot back with a higher caliber weapon and it hits your family who was in the house with you.

Me shooting you justifies you choosing the action that kills innocent women and children?

If a mass shooter runs and hides into a house with people, then why do the police not blow the house up with a tank?

7 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I'm a Trinidadian of European ancestry - OF COURSE, I'm a "colonialist" and I make no claim to be otherwise.

Besides, from my perspective, the Israelites lost their historical claim to the land for the final time around 70 C.E., but that's neither here nor there in assessing the current tragedy.

1 minute ago, Subzwari1987 said:

Me shooting you justifies you choosing the action that kills innocent women and children?

If a mass shooter runs and hides into a house with people, then why do the police not blow the house up with a tank?

If I am firing in self defense you started the conflict, you put them in harms way. I don't lay down and die so I may not kill innocent people to preserve my life.

Comparing LE to a war is a non-sequitur.

If you start the fight, you don't get to demand how I respond to it and claim victimhood if you don't like my response.

• Halal 1