Edge Magazine ranks the 100 Greatest Videogames of the last 30 years

Commissar SFLUFAN

35 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Is Street Fighter 2 the actual “best” fighting game of all time - I would say of course not. But given the quality of it plus its context in history, were I making this list, it would have strong consideration for top 10.

You know max went down this road recently and not that his word is gospel or anything but he does consider it the best fight game of all time. Mainly because it you know created the whole genre and a game that is basically still playable today.

Spoiler

He doesn't go super in depth in this particular video because he's done it before but he does say it towards the beginning

So while yeah there were games that came after and refined it, it's certainly a game that should be held in high regard above others.

• stepee 1

28 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Maybe there would have been a time I’d agree.  But with where gaming is now, something that isn’t best ever in its class probably doesn’t deserve to be in a top 50.  Unless being second or third best in a genre or franchise still gives it a ton of sway.

I don’t mean to imply either way is the correct way to do it, I just find these lists to be a mashup of the two styles and it makes for some odd lists. 

• True 1

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

You know max went down this road recently and not that his word is gospel or anything but he does consider it the best fight game of all time. Mainly because it you know created the whole genre and a game that is basically still playable today.

By that logic, Super Mario Kart is the best kart racer of all time.  Dragon Quest 1 is the best JRPG of all time.  Herzog Zwei is the best RTS of all time.

Its more just a way the FGC chooses to look at things, IMO.

17 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

It’s so easy to roll your eyes at these lists, but could we as a group do any better? I would love to see what a D1P list looks like. 

I really like this site, its the most intuitive way I've found to make an earnest list for yourself.  Maybe we could pull together a larger list based on results generated there after some nominations.

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just pick the most recent game because it's the "best"

I don't think this is always the case.

While Elden Ring isn't exactly Dark Souls, ER is practically DS4 and I still think DS1 is by far the Dark Souls. I'll never replay ER, but I will replay DS1 again.

Halo 3 was the last good Halo. No, I didn't care for Reach.

I think SM64 is far better than Odyssey and I'm not really a Mario guy.

OoT, MM, WW, TP, SS, and ALbW(legit amazing btw) are all better than the Switch Zeldas.

Final Fantasy is pretty diverse so it is quite easy to say an older title is better.

I will say that I think Mario Kart gets better with each installment. I remember being all excited to play Mario Kart 64 again on the Wii VC and was so disappointed by it after playing Mario Kart DS.

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Right, that was the idea of what I was saying.

What I meant is that even without legacy there are previous titles that are better than the modern titles.

I read your post in that you have to factor in legacy otherwise the newest version is always the best, and I disagreed with that.

If legacy mattered then DOOM makes more sense than DOOM Eternal but legacy doesn't matter nearly as much to me and so I would never put DOOM on a list when DOOM Eternal exists.

On the other hand, nu-halo is legit bad and makes Old Halo look even better.

Totally with Bacon here.  One thing I’ll add is that recency bias can also make evaluating new games difficult, especially within franchises.

Too many people are inclined to think more content = better.  There’s no truer example of this in my mind than Smash, which keeps sacrificing general responsiveness to make up for bad netcode.  A lot of open world and racing games probably fall into the mix here as well, piling on in ways that aren’t always for the best.

7 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Sure, but only when they still deserve to hang.  Can we still say SF2 is the best fighting game ever?  Or just the one with the most history attached?  I’m kind of two minds there.

Another example: I feel that the ‘timeless’ quality of Wind Waker is a bit of a cover.  It’s stuck in a no man’s land between traditional 3D Zelda and BotW/ToTK, and doesn’t excel at either approach.  But people get nostalgic for the visual style and story.

You know which Zelda should be in its place?  A Link Between Worids.  I noticed LTTP was missing, but sacred cows be slaughtered, the 3DS game is better.

LTTP was a 1992 release in EU so it doesn’t count, like Super Mario World. Street Fighter 2 Turbo is their pick, not SF2, and that makes a lot more sense than just SF2. I think some version of SF2 probably still counts for a top 100, when you combine how good it still is today, how it’s perfect and pure in its own way, and that it created the genre as we know it. That said, I would just choose Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo to represent it and that I think would be a lot more agreeable. Also SF4 over SF3 is a take. 

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ok I’ll start:

1) Super Mario World

2) Symphony of the Night

3) Mario 64

4) Metal Gear Solid 2

5) God of War

6)

You guys fill the rest 

My top 10:

1) Mario 64

2) COD 4 (mp online only)

3) Ico

4) Shadow of the Colossus 

5) GOW/Ragnarok 

6) TLOU/TLOU2

7) OOT

8) Red Dead Redemption 2

9) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 

10) Drawing a blank

58 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Why don't we make a top 100 list?

I'd be interested in what parameters we'd use. 

I like the idea of doing an open nomination thread first, before voting, of what games should belong on a top 100.

Submitting a 100 games vote after would probably be the best, but there's a huge temptation to push pet games higher on your personal list to give them a better chance to chart.  Partly why I'd advocate for using this.

Maybe we could make an honorary second list of the best 50 games that didn't chart, with brownie points for less mentions.  Because we're heartless bastards.

• stepee 1

19 hours ago, 5timechamp said:

Its always interesting seeing these lists.. you can always feel the turmoil of rating a game for its significance and historical importance vs is it still a great game that is still above others of its kind

I feel like that is especially apparent with sequels and I don't think this list is particularly consistent in weighing each metric. GTA 3 isn't "the best" GTA game, but it's definitely the most important. Meanwhile, other better sequels ranked higher than their arguably more important predecessors.