~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

We're up to nine candidates:

The candidates are: Reps. Tom Emmer of Minnesota, Byron Donalds of Florida, Mike Johnson of Louisiana, Jack Bergman of Michigan, Pete Sessions of Texas, Kevin Hern of Oklahoma, Dan Meuser of Pennsylvania, Gary Palmer of Alabama and Austin Scott of Georgia.

The GOP candidate forum is set for 6:30 p.m. ET Monday. Then, an internal conference vote will occur at 9 a.m. Tuesday. Speaker Pro Tem Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., has said his intention is to move to a floor vote “as soon as Tuesday.”

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

We're up to nine candidates:

From the "who supported what" comparisons it seems like Emmer is the best of the worst outcome here. Supported raising the debt limit, supported the recent CR, voted against the attempts to not certify the election, supports aid to Ukraine.

34 minutes ago, Jason said:

From the "who supported what" comparisons it seems like Emmer is the best of the worst outcome here. Supported raising the debt limit, supported the recent CR, voted against the attempts to not certify the election, supports aid to Ukraine.

Yes, Emmer is absolutely the "least terrible" option and should really be supported by the Democrats should he be the nominee.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Yes, Emmer is absolutely the "least terrible" option and should really be supported by the Democrats should he be the nominee.

If he's the nominee and the Democrats don't take advantage of that then it will finally be somewhat on them for not doing so at this point (in terms of supporting Emmer, which they should do).

1 hour ago, Air_Delivery said:

There is no way Democrats are giving anyone their vote without concessions

I agree with that mentality but at the same time if it's the best you're going to get under any circumstance and the only alternative is letting the process of government stall while the Republicans implode is not a winning strategy unless you hope the Republicans come to their senses soon enough to offer concessions, which I'm not entirely sure they'll do given they're a bunch of dipshits.

11 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree with that mentality but at the same time if it's the best you're going to get under any circumstance and the only alternative is letting the process of government stall while the Republicans implode is not a winning strategy unless you hope the Republicans come to their senses soon enough to offer concessions, which I'm not entirely sure they'll do given their a bunch of dipshits.

Republicans in their current state would see giving them something for nothing as weakness. Unless they are willing at the bare minimum to reinstate democrats on committees they should not give them anything. 

• True 1

41 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I agree with that mentality but at the same time if it's the best you're going to get under any circumstance and the only alternative is letting the process of government stall while the Republicans implode is not a winning strategy unless you hope the Republicans come to their senses soon enough to offer concessions, which I'm not entirely sure they'll do given their a bunch of dipshits.

Republicans literally have the ability to elect a speaker with 0 help from democrats....it's their game...their ball. 

• True 3
  • Halal 1

34 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Republicans in their current state would see giving them something for nothing as weakness. Unless they are willing at the bare minimum to reinstate democrats on committees they should not give them anything. 

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Republicans literally have the ability to elect a speaker with 0 help from democrats....it's their game...their ball. 

All of this is of course true but then we're gonna be on this merry go round for a long while. Hopefully Republicans either get their shit together or make concessions, I'm just not hopeful of either happening.

1 minute ago, Greatoneshere said:

All of this is of course true but then we're gonna be on this merry go round for a long while. Hopefully Republicans either get their shit together or make concessions, I'm just not hopeful of either happening.

I mean even when there was a speaker, nothing was really getting done.

Just now, stepee said:

Well you may think they haven’t really gotten anywhere with Hunter yet, but believe me, you’ve only seen the tip of it

We've all seen way more than just Hunter's tip thanks to Large Marge. 

• True 2

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

We've all seen way more than just Hunter's tip thanks to Large Marge. 

Ominous obviously hasn’t seen the whole thing if he thinks nothing is getting done!

People act like congress gets nothing accomplished but then forget that without this republican house we wouldn’t have even seen Hunter Biden’s cock at ALL

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Ominous obviously hasn’t seen the whole thing if he thinks nothing is getting done!

People act like congress gets nothing accomplished but then forget that without this republican house we wouldn’t have even seen Hunter Biden’s cock at ALL

And how inferior it made all the chuds feel.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

There's still day to day shit that was getting done in the House, and they did pass the 45-day funding bill extension. Right now they can't even do much procedural stuff is my understanding.

Kicking the can down the road, again, isn't really getting shit done. 
It's like showing up for work and pissing into the coffee pot.

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Kicking the can down the road, again, isn't really getting shit done. It's like showing up for work and pissing into the coffee pot.

But that's just government, they're always technically just kicking the can down the road which is why we always have a government funding crisis at some point in regular intervals. We still need a Speaker.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

But that's just government, they're always technically just kicking the can down the road which is why we always have a government funding crisis at some point in regular intervals. We still need a Speaker.

America is getting what it voted for, and that needs to be on display. 

4 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Right, it's been on display for weeks now. I'm not saying the Democrats fold the minute Emmer is chosen by most Republicans but the holdouts prevent it thus keeping this circus going. Demand concessions, etc. (if Emmer even gets there). But at some point if the Republicans can't get it done someone has to step in or this will affect the American people and if we want to take this that far we can but I'm not down with hurting the American people if we can help it, even if many voted for the idiots now causing the problems. But I get the strategy behind it. If Democrats go that route I'll be curious to see what the practical consequences turn out to be depending on how long this goes and it gets to that point.

4 hours ago, Ominous said:

Cant wait for the next election…

The GOP will try all the voter fraud they accused the Dems of committing and will act indignant about the whole thing… lots of armed Rittenhouses at the various voting places

Emmer "won" the first round of the internal DOD voting:

Vote tally:

Emmer 78
Johnson 34
Donald’s 29
Hern 27
Scott 18
Bergman 16
Sessions 8

They will keep voting internally until one candidate gets the majority of the conference votes, eliminating the lowest voter-receiver each round.