~*US Federal Government Shutdown Watch - Fiscal Year 2024 Edition*~

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

He was 29 in this picture. WTF.

F80LqdtbcAAWdWV?format=png&name=900x900

Omg, lol..

my daughters High School law/government class is making her do a political campaign as part of some project.. it goes in-depth enough to ask for votes and campaign posters.. sure as shit one of the damn pictures she generated is this same side profile pic with documents in hand and a US flag in the background.. this pic is  hilarious

MURPHY said a resolution to empower McHenry would “kick the can down the road”

He believes Mike Johnson and Kevin Hern are two candidates who could get 217 if Jordan can’t. He said he had talked to both to encourage them to get in.

Hern told me he’s willing to take a look.

GOP SC Rep Norman: This Speaker drama is not going to go away with extra time. You can be around Thanksgiving and Christmas. You talk about another CR

Eli Crane, who’s a strong Jordan backer, isn’t happy with McHenry resolution. 

“I know what my voters want. And I know what the American people want, and it's Jim Jordan. I don't think a lot of the people in this conference actually give a shit what the American people want.”

I can't say that I blame them considering that the "American people" have no goddamned idea what they want to begin with.

Per CBS's Scott MacFarlane:

Multiple House Republicans are telling us the resolution to temporarily empower Speaker Pro-Tem Patrick McHenry “is dead.”  Won’t come to the floor for a vote 

Rep Jim Jordan (R-OH) will plow ahead and try to change the minds of the 22 (so far) defectors

They’re nowhere

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jwheel86 said:

A snap election mechanism in the Constitution was a real oversight, among other things. 

The American constitution values inertial stability over pretty much everything else. Everything is designed to move incredibly slowly and without large changes, and everything can cancel every other part out. In fact, the whole GOP move to allow a single member to potentially oust the Speaker is 100% in line with the values of the US constitution, is so far as it mucks up functioning/fast-reacting government.

• True 1

WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., is resisting a push to get him to move legislation without an explicit vote to expand his powers.

In a closed-door meeting Thursday, Rep. Patrick McHenry, R-N.C., told GOP colleagues he might resign as speaker pro tempore if Republicans push him to try to move legislation on the floor without an explicit vote to expand his powers, according to multiple lawmakers in the room.

“If you guys try to do that, you’ll figure out who the next person on Kevin’s list is,” McHenry told the room, three sources said, referring to former Speaker Kevin McCarthy's secret list of GOP lawmakers who would serve as temporary speaker in the event of a vacancy.

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From Politico's Olivia Beavers:

I wonder if there is some vicarious living going on with this one.

Jordan and Hannity thought they could play Trump style bully ball on this(and maybe they could have if the margin wasn't so tight) but they got the opposite reaction. As in some Reps reacted like, "I may have had to kowtow to that orange bastard for years, but I'll be damned if I am going to be the bitch for some nobody from nowhere Ohio.....".