Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door [May 23, 2024]

Keyser_Soze

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Bro my mind ain’t up to the task. lol. I’m still enjoying it but goddamn these puzzles are giving me a headache. 

I suck with puzzles in games. I feel your pain. 

12 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Bro my mind ain’t up to the task. lol. I’m still enjoying it but goddamn these puzzles are giving me a headache. 

Glad you are enjoying it overall

I didn’t want to have to come back for my money.

• Haha 1

Thats what made me stop playing TOTK because every fuckin thing you had to do was basically a mini puzzle. 

Now I am playing a game that's too easy with no gameplay. Got to find the happy medium. 

Ok no spoilers but after unlocking and finding quit a few things the game has got alot more fun. Also figured out the paper airplane mechanic is sort of like a back and forth rhythm type thing and I can now fly much further and better. Overall I raise my score from a 7/10 to a 9/10. I still wish the paper airplane was easier though. 

• stepee 2

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

Ok no spoilers but after unlocking and finding quit a few things the game has got alot more fun. Also figured out the paper airplane mechanic is sort of like a back and forth rhythm type thing and I can now fly much further and better. Overall I raise my score from a 7/10 to a 9/10. I still wish the paper airplane was easier though. 

Really glad to hear. 

I picked up my switch from the dock just to get the install going and man, after using the Steam Deck so much, the Switch feels like such a cheap toy. Switch 2 really needs to up their game.

5 minutes ago, legend said:

I picked up my switch from the dock just to get the install going and man, after using the Steam Deck so much, the Switch feels like such a cheap toy. Switch 2 really needs to up their game.

Same thing happened to me. The Switch is like a dollar store toy lol. 

• True 1

Ok so yaaaaaa this game has opened up. I got the town opened up entirely and I have found 

Spoiler

a badge store on the west side that has great badges like defeat weaker enemies instantly on First Strike which is a game changer. Also underground all the way to the left there is a guy who trades in extremely useful badges for Star pieces. Some cost a lot of your pieces but man are they good! 

The game is pretty special. 

• Hype 1

I'm mostly enjoying this, but man, I do not care about the story at all and the dialog is so long and can't be sped up. I'm just mashing A over and over to get through it as soon as possible.

Get the stars, I know. It's a Mario game.

1 hour ago, Paperclyp said:

I find the dialogue to be a delight. The writing is probably my favorite part about the game. Also games with bright colors really make my brain feel nice. 

They say the damnedest things! I love it!

Okay reached Glitzville the town in the sky on chapter 3. Very cool concept and battling my way up the ranks of the fighters. The game seems to get better with each new area. Hope that trend continues. 

• Hype 2

On 5/28/2024 at 3:16 AM, Biggie said:

Okay reached Glitzville the town in the sky on chapter 3. Very cool concept and battling my way up the ranks of the fighters. The game seems to get better with each new area. Hope that trend continues. 

That is one of my favorite places in games!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve collected 5 of the Crystal Stars. 2 more to go. I am Level 16 and 35 hours in. Top 3 Nintendo games ever for me personally. Never played the Game Cube version and so glad I got to experience it on the Switch. 

• True 1

41 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm about to head to pirate area. I'm definitely enjoying it, but it doesn't rank as highly for me as it does for other people.

You’re dead to me. Try to obtain a soul for goodness sake. lol

17 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yesterday he didn't like making units in RTS games, today he doesn't rank the pirate area as highly as other people. Does this guy even like video games!?!?!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Says the person who never finished BG3!

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yesterday he didn't like making units in RTS games, today he doesn't rank the pirate area as highly as other people. Does this guy even like video games!?!?!

Myth is objectively better than every other resource building RTS where you compete spam mouse clicks the fastest. I like it when you have to use, you know, actual strategy!

Also I didn't say I didn't rank the pirate area as highly as others -- I haven't gone there yet, it's next. I was saying I don't rank the game as highly as others!

12 minutes ago, legend said:

Also I didn't say I didn't rank the pirate area as highly as others -- I haven't gone there yet, it's next. I was saying I don't rank the game as highly as others!

Ah, but you can see how it could be interpreted that way right? :thinking:

36 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Ah, but you can see how it could be interpreted that way right? :thinking:

I think "I'm about to head to pirate area" pretty clearly indicates that I have not yet gone there yet and therefore cannot have an opinion on the area :p But the subsequent "It" could be more grounded to avoid scanning error.

24 minutes ago, legend said:

I think "I'm about to head to pirate area" pretty clearly indicates that I have not yet gone there yet and therefore cannot have an opinion on the area :p But the subsequent "It" could be more grounded to avoid scanning error.

But the game is a remaster/remake so you could have actually have gone there before and know how people hold it in high regard yet you do not.

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

But the game is a remaster/remake so you could have actually have gone there before and know how people hold it in high regard yet you do not.

I suppose! I think I’ve indicated elsewhere that I never played the original, but I won’t hold you accountable for not knowing that. Mainly my response was flowing from Biggies comments in the game as a whole that immediately preceded my post. 

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, legend said:

I suppose! I think I’ve indicated elsewhere that I never played the original, but I won’t hold you accountable for not knowing that. Mainly my response was flowing from Biggies comments in the game as a whole that immediately preceded my post. 

You monster 

• True 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, legend said:

Finally finished this today. Overall pretty good, although I don't think I liked as much as its legendary status suggests. I'd give it a solid 4/5 stars.

The most legendary thing about the game is the (post game?) 100-floor challenge.  It’s absolutely incredible.

oh and

Spoiler

Devil peach

I like Super Mario RPG better, but there’s no doubt it’s a big improvement on Paper Mario 1.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

The most legendary thing about the game is the (post game?) 100-floor challenge.  It’s absolutely incredible.

oh and

I have to assume that is a joke :p I mind numbingly did 50 levels of it just to get the inventory expansion and then bailed.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I have to assume that is a joke :p I mind numbingly did 50 levels of it just to get the inventory expansion and then bailed.

Its legitimately great.  They throw the new hardest boss in the game at you on the last floor.  Yes it takes time to get through it, but in challenge it’s the Mario RPG equivalent of Grandmaster’s Galaxy. 

3 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Its legitimately great.  They throw the new hardest boss in the game at you on the last floor.  Yes it takes time to get through it, but in challenge it’s the Mario RPG equivalent of Grandmaster’s Galaxy. 

Seems a shame that they gated it behind incredibly mundane busy work then.