Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door [May 23, 2024]

Keyser_Soze

1 minute ago, legend said:

Seems a shame that they gated it behind incredibly mundane busy work then.

Yes, but that increases the stakes more, and means you can’t just go into the fight 100% prepared.

I really enjoyed it by the end.  I think you can skip some floors?  It’s been a while for me.

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Yes, but that increases the stakes more, and means you can’t just go into the fight 100% prepared.

I really enjoyed it by the end.  I think you can skip some floors?  It’s been a while for me.

Every once in a while you can skip up to 5 floors. Getting to level 50 was still absolutely painful as it was.

I have a strong general opinion that making players play easy portions of game (especially if they have to replay it upon failure) just so they can get to the challenge they care about is absolutely awful game design. Maybe someday I'll find a game that does it in some way that actually seems like a good idea. I've yet to find that game though :p 

The best games encourage you to try again when you fail at an interesting challenge, not punish you for it. I'll die on this hill.

Actually, I somewhat take that back. Good rogue likes can get away with it because you're not doing the same thing every run. The story, your player, and world, are changing. However, even then my biggest problem with rogue likes is the time sink to get back to the challenging part can feel annoying.

One solution not offered enough is having a training area when you die where you can practice boss fights, but without getting a victory if you win since it's just a practice. (With one of your last builds you had when you got there previously).

Alternatively, I really liked Rogue Legacy 2's solution to this where you could lock the world (really, at any time, not just for bosses). It let you get right back to a boss immediately at the expense that you couldn't collect more stuff because all the enemies you previously fought would be dead. Although the Rogue Legacy 2 approach won't work for every rogue like. It depends on the mechanics.