The Bikeriders - MC Movie Set in 60's w/ Austin Butler & Tom Hardy - June 21st 2024

SoberChef

Co-written and directed by Jeff Nichols so I'm immediately interested. This one has been getting a lot of festival buzz, which is no surprise with Nichols at the helm. If people haven't, they really should watch his previous written/directed films Shotgun Stories, Take Shelter, Mud, Midnight Special and Loving. Dude crushes it every time. Michael Shannon is in every single one of his films too, which is cool since Shannon is almost always good. 

• True 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • SoberChef changed the title to The Bikeriders - MC Movie Set in 60's w/ Austin Butler & Tom Hardy - June 21st 2024
  • 2 weeks later...

This was a solid character piece, perfectly encapsulating a moment in time within a subsect of society. Everyone in the stellar stacked cast nailed their roles, the "love triangle" done in a way that isn't traditional was nice, sad to see such a time have come to pass by (seemingly so quickly nevertheless!)

I'd definitely enjoy rewatching this to spend time w/ the characters for sure. 

• Halal 1

Pretty good, the dialogue and Kathy's narration really carried it. Everything was a little formulaic but that's not a terrible thing, the formula exists for a reason.

Spoiler

I did like that after Johnny's death Benny realized it actually was about the friends he made along the way and settled down with Kathy. That's kind of a flippant TV tropes way to address it, but I feel like I've seen that pattern so much in real life with people who are into a hobby 'outgrowing' their community, moving on, and then wondering why they fall out of love with the hobby.

• stepee 1

On 6/25/2024 at 1:14 AM, SoberChef said:

This was a solid character piece, perfectly encapsulating a moment in time within a subsect of society. Everyone in the stellar stacked cast nailed their roles, the "love triangle" done in a way that isn't traditional was nice, sad to see such a time have come to pass by (seemingly so quickly nevertheless!)

I'd definitely enjoy rewatching this to spend time w/ the characters for sure. 

Yeah, I forgot to come back after I watched it. I really enjoyed the movie, and I’ll be looking forward to watching it again when it’s on streaming services. Probably buy it on the apple media store or something. 

• Hugs 1

I saw this waaaaay back in September last year and really enjoyed it. It is less about the narrative and more about spending this slice of time with these interesting characters. I thought the performances were all fantastic, and I wish Jeff Nichols didn’t go so long between making movies.

If you enjoyed the film, there is a website that is relatively easily found via google that has a bunch of audio clips from the original interviews that the book is based on. The accents are spot on 😂

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to see this last night and it wasn't exactly what I expected, but I did really enjoy it. Between the trailers and this summer release date, I went in expecting something with a bit more violence and tension and action. Those elements season the film a little, but it's primarily a character piece, and a very enjoyable one at that. It feels like something that will be forgotten come awards season, especially since it's not making any money at all (my wife and I were joined by one other person in our showing), but the three leads of the film all give great performances. Yeah, the accents can come off silly in a trailer, but I think they worked well in the film. For a film about a "biker gang" it's not all that rowdy, but it's a compelling character study and easy to recommends to anyone interested.

Given the photographer that is present in so much of the film, I kind of wish we got some Civil-War sytle photo inserts, but at least we got some of the origional photos in the credits. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I saw this waaaaay back in September last year and really enjoyed it. It is less about the narrative and more about spending this slice of time with these interesting characters. I thought the performances were all fantastic, and I wish Jeff Nichols didn’t go so long between making movies.

If you enjoyed the film, there is a website that is relatively easily found via google that has a bunch of audio clips from the original interviews that the book is based on. The accents are spot on 😂

8 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Went to see this last night and it wasn't exactly what I expected, but I did really enjoy it. Between the trailers and this summer release date, I went in expecting something with a bit more violence and tension and action. Those elements season the film a little, but it's primarily a character piece, and a very enjoyable one at that. It feels like something that will be forgotten come awards season, especially since it's not making any money at all (my wife and I were joined by one other person in our showing), but the three leads of the film all give great performances. Yeah, the accents can come off silly in a trailer, but I think they worked well in the film. For a film about a "biker gang" it's not all that rowdy, but it's a compelling character study and easy to recommends to anyone interested.

Given the photographer that is present in so much of the film, I kind of wish we got some Civil-War sytle photo inserts, but at least we got some of the origional photos in the credits. 

Yeah, always appreciate nice touches like that during the credits. Was fun trying to figure out who was who, but for the most part (and special thanks to the costume design department) it was actually fairly easy to do as everything was so accurate!

• 3 weeks later...

I caught this last weekend and this was a pretty good movie, a solid 7/10 bordering on a 7.5/10. Unsurprisingly, Jeff Nichols nails the setting and mood of the film, a somewhat quiet slice of life about a motorcycle club in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Handsomely made from top to bottom, the execution on a technical level is top notch. Acting is uniformly great - Austin Butler does a lot with barely any lines in the movie. However, with all that being said, the movie often felt aimless and meandering, and there was no dramatic momentum to make up for that. Individual scenes are compelling to watch but by the end I didn't feel all that much for Butler and Comer's characters. The movie felt like more that we the audience are a fly on the wall watching what's happening, but when characters come and go in the narrative and there isn't a lot of dramatic heft to make up for it with the main characters the movie begins to feel like a series of vignettes without a lot of ooomph to make me feel what the characters are feeling. Without that the movie is beautiful to look at and engaging to watch from scene to scene but it doesn't feel like it all adds up to much for the viewer. Also, while I expected Tom Hardy to have some weird voice, as usual, I have no idea what accent Jodie Comer was doing. Seemed almost like a parody of a Chicago accent. Her acting was great otherwise, but that stood out to me. 

Regardless, the movie is absolutely worth watching and while it's not Nichols' best or most heartfelt work, it's definitely a solid film. I hope more people check it out. 

• stepee 1

I actually really enjoy slice-of-life filmmaking. Not always, and it has to be well done, but when it works...there is something nice about getting a window into an otherwise obscure sub-culture and just watching the way people in such a community relate to one another. The film is also just beautifully photographed, which helps with that fly-on-a-wall feeling. 

On Comer's voice, you can listen to the real Kathy here. Comer's accent is only slightly exaggerated, lol 

BLEAKBEAUTY.COM

Kathy, ChicagoKathy Bauer, ChicagoKathy at home, Chicago In 1966, in Chicago, Danny Lyon sat down with some of his favorite people that he knew as a member of the Chicago Outlaw Motorcycle Club. One was Kathy Bauer, the twenty-five-year-old mother of three that had met and married nineteen-year-old Benny, one of the more reckless riders…

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually really enjoy slice-of-life filmmaking. Not always, and it has to be well done, but when it works...there is something nice about getting a window into an otherwise obscure sub-culture and just watching the way people in such a community relate to one another. The film is also just beautifully photographed, which helps with that fly-on-a-wall feeling. 

On Comer's voice, you can listen to the real Kathy here. Comer's accent is only slightly exaggerated, lol 

Yeah, I'm also a big slice of life fan when it's done well. Listening to those recordings, you're right, it really isn't that exaggerated and now I just feel bad for people saddled with what I found to be a pretty unbearable voice to listen to if it was in real life. :p 

• Haha 1