Ferrari (directed by Michael Mann, starring Adam Driver as Enzo) - Official Trailer

Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors of all time. I actually loved Blackhat and it's been 8 years since that movie (his last feature film, ignoring him directing the pilot for the TV show Tokyo Vice). That looked really fucking good without even saying or showing too much. The shots look incredible (no surprise there). Mann has wanted to make this for a long time, originally he was going to do Ford v Ferrari before just producing it and letting James Mangold direct it. I guess he couldn't let it go, so we have this now. I'm in.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

With the right director, I'd absolutely watch that, and Driver has worked with an absolute murderers row of directors.

It's kind of ridiculous in how such a short time he's worked with pretty much every famous and acclaimed director you can work with. I mean, his career only started 13 years ago in 2010, in chronological order (noteworthy directors):

-You Don't Know Jack (HBO TV movie directed by Barry Levinson, small part but gets to work with Levinson)

-J. Edgar (directed by Clint Eastwood, another small part but gets to work with Eastwood)

-Girls (Lena Dunham, this is what introduced me to Adam Driver and I immediately clocked he was going to be big one day, this show launched his career)

-Frances Ha (Noah Baumbach)

-Lincoln (Steven Spielberg, small part but gets to be in key scenes with Daniel Day-Lewis)

-Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Bros., again, a supporting role but sings key songs associated with the film)

-While We're Young (Noah Baumbach again)

-This Is Where I Leave You (Shawn Levy)

-Star Wars: Episodes 7 and 9 (J.J. Abrams)

-Midnight Special (Jeff Nichols)

-Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)

-Silence (Martin Scorsese)

-The Meyerowitz Stories (Noah Baumbach for a third time)

-Logan Lucky (Steven Soderbergh)

-Star Wars: Episode 8 (Rian Johnson)

-BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee)

-The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Terry Gilliam)

-The Report (Scott Z. Burns)
-The Dead Don't Die (Jim Jarmusch again)

-Marriage Story (Noah Baumbach for a fourth time)

-Annette (Leos Carax, the fact he got to work with this guy who only makes a movie once a decade is crazy)

-The Last Duel (Ridley Scott, but he also gets to work with writers/directors Ben Affleck and Nicole Holofcener by proxy, as well as Matt Damon)

-House of Gucci (Ridley Scott again)

-White Noise (Noah Baumbach for a fifth time)

-Ferrari (Michael Mann)

-Megalopolis (the upcoming magnum opus project by Francis Ford Coppola that has finally been shot)

-Heat 2 (on Ferrari, Michael Mann has said now in interviews he and Adam Driver discussed Driver playing a young Robert De Niro, adapting Mann's novel Heat 2)

That's just an insane list. Crazy. Even more impressive is that most of these movies are good to really good, with some interesting failures sprinkled in but even the interesting failures are mostly worth watching. I only skipped 7 movies in his entire filmography! Even of those 7, two of them are Tracks, directed by John Curran, and What If, directed by Michael Dowse, both of which are good movies by directors that arguably could have been added to the list. And 6 of the 7 films were all made between 2012 and 2014 when Adam Driver was still starting out. Only the extremely recent dud "65" that came out is outside of that range. Pretty good on his part (and his agent and manager and publicist). :p 

• stepee 1

• 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Ferrari (directed by Michael Mann, starring Adam Driver as Enzo) - Official Trailer
  • 3 months later...

I watched this over the weekend and it was really good - I highly recommend people check it out. First, it feels like a real film made by a real director which feels increasingly rare in this day and age. And the driving scenes are incredible and the crashes are truly horrific to witness. This is probably Mann's most human film since The Insider or Ali where he spends a significant amount of time on family drama and trauma - the different ways Enzo and his wife speak to their dead son at his grave at the beginning of the film was really well done. I'm a Michael Mann stan but this was a genuinely good film worth watching. Also frequently funnier than you would expect too.