OMG APPLE HURRY UP

stepee

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Yeah old af like I thought. Air 3rd generation 2019

The m2 on the current ipad air sure would be a hell of a jump over the A12 in that!

The A14 of the $330 ipad would also be a reasonable upgrade but if you wanted to that route I’d probably wait for a new regular ipad model as it’s not THAT big a leap over your air and that model is from 2022 so you know it’s coming.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biggie said:

I’m wary of refurbished. 

Me too lol. But it is another option so I wanted to put it out there. I’d probably wait to see if there is a regular ipad upgrade or get that air (if you can) imo. That air should last a long time and at least you can just buy the base since 128gb isn’t bad. Unless you plan on getting any of those console like games.

Well, none of the new iPadOS stuff really addresses the complaints that people have about using the iPad a a primary computing device. I never really expected them to do much, but still a mild bummer.

The Apple Intelligence stuff did look pretty impressive. If they can live up to what they promised here, it's a very compelling package. I love the idea of an AI assistant that understands and can find the necessary context for personal questions.

I've only scanned the info on the intelligence stuff, but this kind of application seems more reasonable to me than other BS people have done with LLMs.

Big win on the local computation too.

• Hype 1

Some cool stuff though I can’t really get excited for os upgrades that won’t be out for several months.

Happy about the games toolkit improvements and more apple silicone games coming!

I don’t know about that mention that vision already has 2000+ native apps. I wonder where they are cuz I have a vision and browse there store a lot and uh where????

Spatial update to flatscreen pictures I’m actually hype for. 

I wanted ipad connectivity like the macbook has though. New gestures and everything are cool.

Mouse support is something I really want but was kinda hoping we wouldn’t have to sit until fall :P

I’m curious where the image training data is sourced from. I only got about half way through the AI stuff, I’ll finish up later, but yeah it’s good stuff. Love that it’s primarily local driven. 

I guess it makes sense that the kings of UI design would bring out one of the first non gimmicky AI implementations 

Naming it Apple Intelligence so people abbreviate it to AI and hopefully associate the two is definitely a clever move! Miss all the shots you don’t take and all

I'm glad that my M1 iPad Pro will get iOS 18 and all the AI stuff. Apple could have decided to keep things exclusive to newer models to try and force an upgrade cycle, and while I'm sure plenty of people feel left out, this is a much more generous rollout than say, what Google does with it's Pixel line.

• True 1

@stepee do you have another phone older than the 15, the one you're giving to Leon?

Like I mentioned earlier I have a first gen SE (from 2016/2017) but I only use it for Sleep Cycle. I have to keep it plugged in because the battery is dead, but I think the battery is bloating now, like the screen is popping out from the case and you can see a big seam of light coming the side if you turn it sideways, and the screen is getting a bit discolored as well.

What I'm saying is, I think this phone's days are numbered but because I only use it for one thing I don't need the new hotness, I just need one that isn't going to explode on my face while I sleep.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@stepee do you have another phone older than the 15, the one you're giving to Leon?

Like I mentioned earlier I have a first gen SE (from 2016/2017) but I only use it for Sleep Cycle. I have to keep it plugged in because the battery is dead, but I think the battery is bloating now, like the screen is popping out from the case and you can see a big seam of light coming the side if you turn it sideways, and the screen is getting a bit discolored as well.

What I'm saying is, I think this phone's days are numbered but because I only use it for one thing I don't need the new hotness, I just need one that isn't going to explode on my face while I sleep.

Sorry, I gave my iPhone12 to kk last fall after I got this one :(

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, stepee said:

We can see who needs a new one the most when the times comes in fall - but it would definitely be a waste of a 15 pro max 1tb to use as a sleep tracker :P

What if I switched to Pokemon Sleep instead? Totally worth it? :p

• Sicko 1

Finished the AI part of the demonstration and yeah good stuff but still curious where it sourced the pixels from for all the art stuff. I hope it’s trained on public domain/their own libraries/maybe your own content? They of course don’t mention this. Which makes me assume it’s just stealing pixels like the others.

I really love all the context sensitive stuff and even smaller things like Siri letting you change what your instruction is mid sentence and keeping up is very handy. Creating auto vacation slideshows seems cool. Love being able to search pictures or even videos for context. Only showing urgent notifications sounds rad if it works. 

Noticed that chatgpt integration seems to always ask that you want to submit to the first which makes Elon’s crocodile tears even funnier.

And the 15pro seems to be the entry point for support so whoever we give that to should probably be someone interested in that stuff :P

I'm very curious to see how third party apps end up working with Personal Context. I hope personal context doesn't become the new "default apps" dispute, where Apple is favoring all their own services and excluding all others. It could even be the reverse this time, because this time the big companies running the most popular third party apps might even have reasons to avoid integrations.

I can imagine Google and Microsoft in particular avoiding implementing all this. From what I can tell from the documentation, personal context is part of the App Intents framework. So theoretically personal context could work with Gmail, Outlook, Google Voice, Teams, etc if they update their apps. Looking through my shortcuts app right now, I do see Outlook and Teams, but I don't see any Google app other than Chrome.

It also brings up questions about how those apps use data. I'm not confident in exactly how apps like Teams or Gmail work, but I don't think they're always pulling every email and message into local storage in the background. They're certainly not pulling in attachments. Would my iPad query those apps or would it just miss any recent context? Will all this just work way better for people that use Mail and iMessages for everything?

Apple could turn this into a very compelling reason to use an Apple device, or it could end up being compelling only to those that use Apple devices and primarily rely on Apple services. The latter would be a real bummer.

• Halal 1

So I’ve been noticing a kind of “blurry spot” on my AVP and kinda hand waived it but it was starting to annoy me as I’ve been using it more and more in the living room where it’s more obvious. It was only in MR not in VR so I could diagnose it down to the camera. At which point I knew it was my fault.

A couple weeks back I was charging it from across the room kinda and tripped on the cord and it fell off my chair onto the hardwood floor. Now, if my phone did this I feel like it would survive but I guess it’s just more of a direct hit with this big curved glass. I thought it was okay and kinda didn’t connect the two for awhile. But one I realized what it was I couldn’t stop focusing on it.

So I had to bring it in for repair on Monday and won’t get it back until Tuesday. At least that’s what they said. I was hoping they could do it same day in store. Honestly I think all they do is diagnose it then ship a new one to the store from what I’ve read.

But man oh man it really made me realize I do love the stupid over priced thing a lot. I miss it :(

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

If anyone is curious btw it’s $800 to fix it. lol.

I didn’t have the plan but the plan would have been $500 and then the cost would be $300 sooooooo

Yeah, I know

On 4/5/2024 at 4:33 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

The only thing is that Apple Care sucks now. It used to be they would replace anything no questions asked. I went in there like a month after I got my ipad because there was a scratch on the screen I hadn't noticed before. None of my other devices have a scratch like this. And this guy tried his hardest NOT to get me a replacement and said it was regular wear and tear. To this day that is still the only thing wrong with the screen. Fuck that guy!

• Sad 1

It’s shipped back to the store! hopefully it’s next day air so it’s still coming tomorrow. I wanna go back to Hellblade 2 but I like playing it on here where it’s the entire wall of my living room.

• stepee 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I was upset so much of my day was used up paying taxes so I’ve added a homepod to my apple environment because at this point it makes sense to replace my alexa with that.

I bet your place is kick ass wall to wall tech lol

Just now, Biggie said:

I bet your place is kick ass wall to wall tech lol

Oh yeah! And I hardwire ethernet to my bedroom to a router there so I can have wired speed on everything streaming all across everything!

• stepee 1
  • Hype 1

Oh sweet, I really got this just to play music in my bedroom as my tv speakers are lacking for that. But didn’t think that duh this will also work for my movies/tv and also it even passes my laptop audio over so for gaming too. Nice upgrade over my tv speaker, essentially it’s a smartbar with digital assistant functionality. Honestly one of Apples more reasonably priced products. 

I could see getting one for the living room it I continue to like it when a new model comes out, or maybe a mini.

• stepee 1

To fully complete my pivot to full Apple zealotism I got myself a developer account now! Mostly I need that Vision 2.0 as soon as I get it back to convert standard photos to 3D :O

• stepee 1

This seems like it could be a good deal for someone:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-10-9-inch-ipad-air-5th-generation-m1-chip-wi-fi-64gb-space-gray/4906404.p?skuId=4906404

M1 is still quite powerful. Seems like a good deal for $400. The big issue being its 64gb, I’m glad that’s no longer the base as that is just so small. But if you aren’t planning on playing too many games and just smaller games, then you don’t really need a lot of storage. The 256gb is on sale too but at $550 you might as well get the new base Air for $50 more since that starts with 128gb which is probably fine for most people now.

• stepee 1

After slowing orders for Vision Pro components and showing very little at WWDC, the new rumor is that Apple is canceling the Vision Pro 2 and putting all their effort into a more affordable headset that should be less than half the price. The rumor is they want to keep the same screens in the cheaper model, which would be impressive. Apple also has a pretty good history of putting high end processors in even down market models, so I would hope they keep much of the processing capability as well.

It's only a rumor, but it's an easy one to believe. For a product to make a dent in Apple's massive scale, it needs to sell a lot of units, and no matter how capable the Vision Pro is, it's never going to hit scale near it's current price point.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, TwinIon said:

After slowing orders for Vision Pro components and showing very little at WWDC, the new rumor is that Apple is canceling the Vision Pro 2 and putting all their effort into a more affordable headset that should be less than half the price. The rumor is they want to keep the same screens in the cheaper model, which would be impressive. Apple also has a pretty good history of putting high end processors in even down market models, so I would hope they keep much of the processing capability as well.

It's only a rumor, but it's an easy one to believe. For a product to make a dent in Apple's massive scale, it needs to sell a lot of units, and no matter how capable the Vision Pro is, it's never going to hit scale near it's current price point.

This makes me think I at least won’t be tempted by an update for 3 years or so :P

• stepee 1

Got the Vision 2.0 beta installed! Lots of cool new stuff to try but the start has got to be that AI convert any picture into a 3D picture functionality. It’s incredible honestly. It’s not just depth, things really pop out. And it’s so automatic and just generally looks very convincing. Quite impressive.

• stepee 1