OMG APPLE HURRY UP

stepee

20 minutes ago, Biggie said:

You got one too?!?!?!  You mother fucker. 

I probably shouldn’t have. It’s stretching my fun budget a little, but I’ve got a side gig dog/housesitting this summer that will pay for it, and it’ll be nice to have for those stays. 

• stepee 2

Performance is pretty crazy on the M4 - now this shows me true gaming on apple silicone with no active cooling unlike the iphone 15 pro attempts. That chip is too cut down. If they could get a m4 chip like this in a phone it would be crazy. But this chip inside a tablet that weighs less than a pound and is much slimmer than your phone even is also crazy, it can’t be too far off.

Village on ios for whatever reason has like full pc settings unlocked. They took this out of RE4 and at the time it seemed like a bad idea, but now I’m glad they did because it makes a great test app for apple silicone gaming performance.

I put everything on high settings and some on max settings and set it at native res 1600p and played through the opening shootout survive the attack session just fine and it was quite smooth. It’s vrr and you can’t see exactly what the fps is, but definitely north of 30fps but I don’t think it’s quite holding 60fps either. But it’s definitely playable and if I tinkered with it, great IQ and 60fps seems like it would be quite easy to achieve here. 

Looking at it spec wise I guess the ipad M4 should still be slightly more powerful than a series S in the gpu but quite a bit better on the cpu. So unlike the iphone15 hype it really does have some serious gaming horsepower, even if there are sadly too few opportunities to use it. 

I’ve been saying this since freakin 2008 now but damn I wish Apple would just suck it up and release a fucking gamepad. Whatever their weird hang up is, they just need to get over it already FUCK. 

Now even ignoring iphone I have four apple products that I like to use a gamepad with (tv, pad, vision, macbook) and I’m not going to have a gamepad laying around for each one. So I have one xbox pad that I switch between them. Which for me seems easiest to just each time I’m switching to remove the previous association and repair. Which is really hacky.

I’d love an apple gamepad that’s actually a lot like the recent razer kishi pro but made by apple and when you don’t have an iphone plugged in it can be used on any apple device wirelessly. And then make it so they pair to everything just like airpods do for seamless switching. I’d easily pay $200 for that.

I will say that the 2022 ipad which is now $350 really is a pretty good tablet for its price. The display is pretty good for a lcd and honestly it’s probably more than fine for most people. It’ll probably hit like $280 on sale during the holiday and I think that would be a good deal for a lot of people. You can even use an apple pencil (not the pro) and keyboard case with it still.

9 minutes ago, Biggie said:
WWW.NINTENDOLIFE.COM

We're off to 'Frisco - Nintendo has announced plans to open a second Official Store in the USA. The company will be opening a brick-and-mortar shop in San F...

@stepee

Im seriously going to go there kinda often and buy random shit to support it. This is like so fucking cool to me!

• Hype 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:57 PM, stepee said:

I will say that the 2022 ipad which is now $350 really is a pretty good tablet for its price. The display is pretty good for a lcd and honestly it’s probably more than fine for most people. It’ll probably hit like $280 on sale during the holiday and I think that would be a good deal for a lot of people. You can even use an apple pencil (not the pro) and keyboard case with it still.

The modern iPad Pro price is in a really weird spot. if you kit one out with a keyboard, pencil, and decent storage, it's expensive. And while it works as a laptop replacement for 95% of what I'd want to do for work and 99% of what I'd want out of a non-work, non-desktop device, there's inevitably some random website that doesn't gel with Safari or even iPad OS Chrome. It's weird to lay out that much money and have to compromise at all.

That said the iPad Pro I got a few years back (11", M1 I believe) is probably the most reliable personal computing device I've ever owned? I don't think it's ever crashed, the maintenance is basically zero, it's not slowed down since I got it, it's held its value well if I decided to flip it, etc. And I think we're just now really starting to see some limited software, mainly games that I likely wouldn't play on a tablet, that won't run on it.

So clearly that stability and reliability is worth SOMETHING. But that sticker shock is real.

6 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The modern iPad Pro price is in a really weird spot. if you kit one out with a keyboard, pencil, and decent storage, it's expensive. And while it works as a laptop replacement for 95% of what I'd want to do for work and 99% of what I'd want out of a non-work, non-desktop device, there's inevitably some random website that doesn't gel with Safari or even iPad OS Chrome. It's weird to lay out that much money and have to compromise at all.

That said the iPad Pro I got a few years back (11", M1 I believe) is probably the most reliable personal computing device I've ever owned? I don't think it's ever crashed, the maintenance is basically zero, it's not slowed down since I got it, it's held its value well if I decided to flip it, etc. And I think we're just now really starting to see some limited software, mainly games that I likely wouldn't play on a tablet, that won't run on it.

So clearly that stability and reliability is worth SOMETHING. But that sticker shock is real.

Im trying to figure this dilemma out by owning both. Or so I tell myself to justify my tech addiction. But I am curious what drives what owning new versions of both. I don’t think my ipad will take over my music recording just because of form factor and inputs etc. They almost coexist? But like, it’s not worth the money to do that though. They both do so much of the same thing.

If I were to get one I think I would kit out an ipad pro. There is very little you can’t do on it. And the screen is the best physical screen there is atm. I think it feels amazing to hold too. I also don’t think getting the base ipad pro for $950 as it was on Amazon today without anything else will have a bad time. 

25 minutes ago, stepee said:

Also @Biggie I’m upgrading my phone this year and switching to a yearly plan - want my iphone 15 pro max when I switch?

I have the 14. But thanks. Good looking out. @Bacon might want it but he is to much of a bitch to post on my board. 

Just now, Biggie said:

I have the 14. But thanks. Good looking out. @Bacon might want it but he is to much of a bitch to post on my board. 

Yeah actually if he has an older phone that would be a great move. Good looking out. 

THOUGH he gets my 4090 so if someone else wants it let me know and they get dibs!

1 minute ago, TheLeon said:

I have an SE.

An OG SE or the new SE?

I've told this story before but I had the original SE but Boost switched whatever company owns them and whatever sim card tech they have my phone couldn't use so I was forced to get the one I have now.

I still use it for an alarm clock but the battery is deadish and I think bloating.

I believe it’s the second generation SE, maybe 4 years old at this point. I got the battery replaced last year, and I was planning on just keeping it until it stopped working, but if there’s a giveaway on the table…

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I believe it’s the second generation SE, maybe 4 years old at this point. I got the battery replaced last year, and I was planning on just keeping it until it stopped working, but if there’s a giveaway on the table…

It's all yours at this point

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Yeah actually if he has an older phone that would be a great move. Good looking out. 

THOUGH he gets my 4090 so if someone else wants it let me know and they get dibs!

I’ll take your old iPad though. Mine is a piece of crap. 

• Sad 1
  • Sicko 1

On 5/25/2024 at 8:07 AM, Biggie said:

I’ll take your old iPad though. Mine is a piece of crap. 

My brother picked that one unfortunately and picked it up a couple days ago.

TheLeon does seem like a good candidate for the 15!

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I want to buy a new Apple TV but rumors say a new one drops so here I wait

Bored Cabin Fever GIF

Yuppp. I’d like an appletv for my living room and to replace my nvidia shield out here but not with a new one rumored. I’m really hoping for a m1 powered one that lets me play apple arcade stuff on tv a lot nicer.

Also there are new streaming codecs to improve moonlight and stuff where streaming works a lot better on my newer apple products.

I was just reading the rumors for apple tv and they are saying under $100. That’s cool to have a new apple tv that is under $100 and would be a great way to push Apple Arcade but can we get an apple tv pro maybe then? 

I feel like a m1 which can then run stuff like RE4R/Assassins Creed Shadows etc would make a lot of sense. Hell if they could ink a deal to get COD and Madden on it then they would have fully entered the console market right when MS leaves!

Oh man fuck yeah I set up the ALVR test pilot beta and it was a pain in the ass but I got it going pretty good now with hdr injected and everything. 

Having never seen pcvr on oled before the difference in contrast and color accuracy is pretty freakin huge. Tried out Trover, Polybius, as they are all gamepad games and it was good times.

Looks like besides the Vive pads you could use joycons as well and it also has hand tracking emulation which is ehhhh atm. Hopefully a better self tracking solution comes along beyond joycons soon, I’m sure it won’t be long. There is so much potential for this headset that Apple is holding back, can’t wait for it to be unleashed.

Also tried Marvel’s What if? interactive experience thing and it’s super rad. Definitely feels like an amusement park experience (and it’s slightly more interactive than I thought, with actual gameplay). The way it jumps on and out of VR and MR and mixes and plays with the two is very cool and gets your mind racing about possibilities for the future of entertainment.

So anyone with an ipad 11” or smaller I just really really want to recommend:

A.CO

Amazon.com: ipega-PG-9083S Wireless game controller for iPhone14/13/12/11/X,XR/ ipad for Galaxy S23/S22/S21/S10+/ Note20/10 VIVO,one Plus,Android Smartphone...

I use it all the time; actually I use it way more than the keyboard case. It works for all gamepad games and it holds it so well and it makes moonlight a beautiful dream. I recced it to rev since he has an older 11” pro and curious if he feels the same. I really think this is the hidden gem of the ipad world.

Also again I want to stress that it works in tate mode and retroarch is a thing now on ios and vertical shoot em ups right. ipad is now the perfect device for those. And actually for tate mode I’m almost positive that the 13” will work just fine.

Used some doubled sided adhesive to mod my imitation bobovr AVP strap with a battery pack so now it fits just as good as the quest. I can have it actually dangle over my eyes with the visor removed and have nothing touching my face at all if I want now. 

For actual usability it’s so much better ESPECIALLY for MR which is the whole point of the vision pro. It’s so silly that there is no default option that lets you do this without hacking random shit together from Amazon yourself. 

Other stuff I’ve gotten have been great toys that make certain things nicer but the ipad is something I really was missing. I love having an actual tablet. I actually use the keyboard case a lot less than I thought and the pen more than I thought. It’s something I use a decent amount every day.