Talk To Me - A24's Newest Horror Thriller

I am stunned at both myself & those here that also enjoy these types of films, to not have a thread about it yet!

Saw this over last weekend and WOW! What a fantastic way to showcase loss, the yearning for desperate reconnection, interesting family dynamics, a whole new way to come at this type of sub-genre. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since Sunday. Please, if you're trying to see something, take a chance on this. The opening sets the tone for the film to come & the stakes couldn't be higher. I hope you all enjoy if you get the chance to see it!

• Halal 1

My wife has had a fear of hands since she was a kid. Not normal everyday hand stuff. More like if you wanted to prank her, you could have a hand pop up unexpectedly somewhere, then she will lose her shit. I showed her the trailer but she only lasted about halfway through. I look forward to seeing it eventually though!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

My wife has had a fear of hands since she was a kid. Not normal everyday hand stuff. More like if you wanted to prank her, you could have a hand pop up unexpectedly somewhere, then she will lose her shit. I showed her the trailer but she only lasted about halfway through. I look forward to seeing it eventually though!

Did she have a horrible experience watching the 90's Addams Family movies? I mean Thing is just adorable!

7 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Did she have a horrible experience watching the 90's Addams Family movies? I mean Thing is just adorable!

Honestly, it was an episode of Hey Dude! on Nickelodeon. I ended up finding the episode a few years ago on Amazon and it’s super tame. It just scarred her young child mind. “s02e06 Ghost Stories”. 

• Shocked 1

Was having a convo w/ my buddy who went to see this with me, we're in agreement that we NEED a life size sculpt of that hand. My crazy idea was to have A24 make their own limited special edition where the hand is life size, encased in glass. Have the discs for the film in a cardboard pull out sleeve case at the bottom of the encased hand, wherein the discs are NOT in that wack ass cardboard sleeve per page, but the plastic push button release style.

OK maybe I went a bit overboard, or perhaps I should work in marketing, either way :dancing:

• Halal 1

That's when you turn around and politely ask them to be quiet for the movie, if they relent & continue on, get a refund from the theater then. I'll absolutely shout down someone using a cell phone in a theater while the movie is playing, that is heresy of the highest kind.

7 hours ago, SoberChef said:

That's when you turn around and politely ask them to be quiet for the movie, if they relent & continue on, get a refund from the theater then. I'll absolutely shout down someone using a cell phone in a theater while the movie is playing, that is heresy of the highest kind.

I always want to, but don't want to risk missing something on screen lol. The movie was free anyway because I get free passes from my work. 

• stepee 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched it last night.

I liked it, but felt it was a little thin overall and that the ending sort of throws the rest of the movie into question.

Spoiler

So Mia dies and immediately becomes a wandering spirit just like everyone else.  We see the weird afterlife she’s in which is just nothing, save for the summoning candle and table with an outstretched hand.  

If that’s the case, what is going on with everything else?  The Mia we see being summoned is clearly just Mia, not some weird evil doppelgänger.  There’s no demonic presence moving her or urging her to do anything.  Who or what is the thing possessing everyone and making them evil and violent?  If the people pulled in by the hand are real dead souls, what is the pit of torment we see Riley in?  

At sone point it all kind of just crumbles on itself.  It’s still a good watch and Wilde’s performance is really captivating, but the core premise just doesn’t hold together.

• Halal 1

6 hours ago, LazyPiranha said:

Watched it last night.

I liked it, but felt it was a little thin overall and that the ending sort of throws the rest of the movie into question.

Hide contents

So Mia dies and immediately becomes a wandering spirit just like everyone else.  We see the weird afterlife she’s in which is just nothing, save for the summoning candle and table with an outstretched hand.  

If that’s the case, what is going on with everything else?  The Mia we see being summoned is clearly just Mia, not some weird evil doppelgänger.  There’s no demonic presence moving her or urging her to do anything.  Who or what is the thing possessing everyone and making them evil and violent?  If the people pulled in by the hand are real dead souls, what is the pit of torment we see Riley in?  

At sone point it all kind of just crumbles on itself.  It’s still a good watch and Wilde’s performance is really captivating, but the core premise just doesn’t hold together.

I liked it too but agree with your points. They're making a sequel which will probably elaborate on the questions you have regarding the mythology and world building.

• True 1