Castlevania: Nocturne (Netflix) - update (09/16): Season 2 release in January 2025

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just binged the whole season, it was excellent. The animation continues to just get better and better and I liked how they kept the vibe and tone of the original show but still made these characters and the era it takes place in feel different. While a season 2 hasn't been announced yet, the way this season ends it seems like it's pretty much a lock for another season.

Reveal hidden contents

Was really cool to see Harmony of Dissonance main character Juste Belmont get some love as it makes sense fo rhim to show up here but obviously never did in the original Rondo of Blood. Continuing to tie the various games together where possible in the timeline is a smart move. Even more interesting is this version of Juste's story took the darkest of the three endings from Harmony of Dissonance. And of course seeing Alucard at the end to start laying down groundwork for Symphony of the Night was awesome.

I mean:

Reveal hidden contents

All the games are connected - any Castlevania game that has Alucard is going to be even more directly connected and Alucard shows up in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse and appears again in Symphony of the Night, so we always knew we were getting a pretty connected sequel. I wasn't sure if they'd hold Alucard back until season 2 but it was cool he got a badass entrance here. I do agree seemed a little unfair to Dolta for him to just KO her after they built her up a lot in the season.

Oh yeah.

Spoiler

No beef with him being there, he's great and I'm happy he is. More a comment on his OHKO, particularly right after Richter leveled up. I guess he got to level 5 and Alucard is maxed at 50 or on NG+ or something :p

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I just binged the whole season, it was excellent. The animation continues to just get better and better and I liked how they kept the vibe and tone of the original show but still made these characters and the era it takes place in feel different. While a season 2 hasn't been announced yet, the way this season ends it seems like it's pretty much a lock for another season.

Hide contents

Was really cool to see Harmony of Dissonance main character Juste Belmont get some love as it makes sense fo rhim to show up here but obviously never did in the original Rondo of Blood. Continuing to tie the various games together where possible in the timeline is a smart move. Even more interesting is this version of Juste's story took the darkest of the three endings from Harmony of Dissonance. And of course seeing Alucard at the end to start laying down groundwork for Symphony of the Night was awesome.

Spoiler

Only thing that miffed me was how they just killed off Maxim and his wife off screen (granted I didn't play HoD due to... polarizing criticisms).  It's kind of similar to how they also just gave Leon Belmont a cameo appearance and that's about it.  I'll laugh if they try to force Sonia Belmont into continuity :P

I feel that the way Castlevania is going towards is rushing through the timeline in continuity and then possibly approaching either the 1999 Julius Belmont arc, or 2035 ala Soma Cruz.

I mean:

Reveal hidden contents

Honestly that kind of did set up and affirm that we're in it for a long-haul of a show, just like the previous series was. I'm still having a hard time reading the theme of it, other than the usual oh church bad vampires bad everything is nihilism trope (which.. I do like).

I'm just kind of ... sad we never get a Simon Belmont arc?  We just went from Trevor straight into Simon.

1 hour ago, darkness35 said:

Hide contents

Only thing that miffed me was how they just killed off Maxim and his wife off screen (granted I didn't play HoD due to... polarizing criticisms).  It's kind of similar to how they also just gave Leon Belmont a cameo appearance and that's about it.  I'll laugh if they try to force Sonia Belmont into continuity :P

I feel that the way Castlevania is going towards is rushing through the timeline in continuity and then possibly approaching either the 1999 Julius Belmont arc, or 2035 ala Soma Cruz.

I'm just kind of ... sad we never get a Simon Belmont arc?  We just went from Trevor straight into Richter.

My thoughts: 

Spoiler

I don't think the showrunners are only going to go forward in time. I think they'll jump around, adapting whichever games they feel fans want adapted or that they want to make. For the third show (if we get there), they could very well do Castlevania/Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (1691-1698) since they seem to want to adapt two games that are connected at a time and that would work well for a third series. If not that double feature the showrunners could do Castlevania: The Adventure/Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (1576-1591) or, as you suggested, the Soma Cruz games Aria of Sorrow/Dawn of Sorrow (2035-2036). If I recall, they hinted/showed some Soma Cruz stuff in the original show when they were showing the future with Saint Germain so they probably want to do those ones at some point.

As for not showing anything from Lament of Innocence (only mentioning Leon Belmont as the originator, which was nice) or Harmony of Dissonance (Juste just speaking about it in the past tense) is probably the best you're gonna get for one-off games in the timeline since the show seems to favor double features. However, that doesn't mean they don't do an episode cutting to the past and showing what happened to Juste, Maxim, and Lydie at some point in the show, it's not off the table. And given how important Lament of Innocence is to the origins of the Belmonts and the story of the franchise, they'll probably need to adapt it in some form at some point (I hope they do, I actually enjoyed that game, one of only four 3D Castlevania games). So I wouldn't necessarily write off getting more Leon and Juste. 

But yeah, I don't think you should assume we're never getting to Christopher Belmont or Simon Belmont just because we went from Trevor to Richter (well, and some Juste Belmont from Harmony of Dissonance to be fair). We'll probably get 3-4 seasons of this show, like how we got 4 seasons of the last show, before they move on to their next double feature. I think they chose Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night next because those are two of the most popular games among Castlevania fans with stories that can wok, expanded, in animated form. Everyone wants to see Symphony of the Night adapted. What they do next they could do Leon, Christopher, Simon, or probably most likely next for a totally different setting, Soma Cruz. 

On 9/29/2023 at 2:36 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I can see @Commissar SFLUFAN enjoying this for the representation alone. The 3rd episode is probably more compelling than all of the original show.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:16 AM, Kal-El814 said:

It's very good.

When it became clear what themes they were going to be dealing with I was concerned they were gonna bungle it. I don't know that I'm really in a position to judge how well they accomplished it (this will make more sense when you start :p ) but I think they handled it respectfully at least and probably pretty well considering this is a vampire killing anime.

I definitely thought the overall theme of vampires being both literally and symbolically representative of the blood-sucking aristocracy/white slave owners was executed just as about as well as could be reasonably expected from an anime series based on a videogame!

I vastly enjoyed the season overall though I haven't quite warmed-up to the protagonists as much as I did the cast of the original series as of yet.  The only real "negative" for me is Nastassja Kinski's voice acting as Tera...it really just isn't very good at all.

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

20 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The only real "negative" for me is Nastassja Kinski's voice acting as Tera...it really just isn't very good at all.

This was something that mildly bothered me towards the beginning. She's a bit plain and I thought Olrox didn't seem very lively. But as things went on and I realized hey these actors are actually are genuine representatives of their background it bothered me less. I do think Olrox came around as things went on, maybe Tera less so but I grew to enjoy them both.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That's what @Keyser_Soze mentioned earlier in the thread.

How dare this show have the temerity to feature two black characters and show depictions of slavery?!?!

Just saw the post you’re referring to.  It’s worse on RT. When I see low audience scores, annoyingly I usually check to see if the racist, 4chan incel crowd is behind the low score. It’s far too often the case. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Castlevania: Nocturne September 28 | Netflix - update: Season 2 renewal announced
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Castlevania: Nocturne (Netflix) - update (09/16): Season 2 release in January 2025