~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

So it looks like there was a systemic polling error in Florida in the favour of Republicans, and possibly much of the US. One person on CBS speculates that because of the anti-media focus of the GOP and Trump that a certain % of the US population can no longer be accurately polled.

People lie to pollsters? GTFO! No way!

It's not like 2016 election results proved there were far more racists in the county than the early polling suggested.  

My bet is most of them showed up as "undecided" since they didn't want to feel like they were being judged for being a terrible human being and having shitty opinions. 

I've not been watching for the past few hours but checking in now I'm not sure why the freakout so far. Senate was never going to happen and house still looks on course. Boomers are still the worse fucking generation and will kill us all. and a large part of the US is still racist as fuck. Seems about normal.

I remember hearing that Dems had a solid 17 or so seats that were very likely to flip.

Their strong chances were based on a meaty two dozen others races where it was close, but figure out of all those races the Dems could at least scratch out 7 to take the House.

What's worrisome is that it comes down to pretty much what happened in 2016, "Everything has to go just so for Trump to win"

Unlikely for Republicans to win all the 1-3% races they need to keep the House, but possible if things fall just so....

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

Well 1.5 million people got their voting rights restored in Florida at least.

A common and frustrating dynamic is that direct ballot measures that represent what would be considered Democratic positions always seem to do better than Democrats themselves. A whole bunch of minimum wage referendums won in 2016 while Dems were getting shitcanned.

2 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I've not been watching for the past few hours but checking in now I'm not sure why the freakout so far. Senate was never going to happen and house still looks on course. Boomers are still the worse fucking generation and will kill us all. and a large part of the US is still racist as fuck. Seems about normal.

Interesting to see the effects of O’Rourke’s overall strong performance in Texas in how many other races ended up much tighter than expected. Strong candidates at the top do matter.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

Which would be what exactly?

If you campaign on restricting gun rights, you will lose those rural and suburban voters.   I would be more than willing to vote for Democrats, especially this year, if they would just leave gun control off the table.