~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

“Despite all of Cruz’s problems—and there are plenty—here’s a guy who’s running around talking about Medicare for all, and impeaching Trump, and abolishing ICE. And it’s killing him,” Karl Rove, the former senior adviser to George W. Bush, told me in Austin this summer. “Even for people who dislike Cruz, impeaching Trump strikes many of them as terrible for the country. I’ve got friends and family members who may not vote for Cruz. They don’t like Cruz. But Beto isn’t contesting them. I mean, it’s just weird.”

Karl Rove is surely an unbiased source of opinion on this.

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I really don't think you can have it both ways. 

• Appeal to Republicans who can't stand Cruz, taking a moderate stance in general to do so
  • Appeal to your own values and go and stir up excitement from the disenfranchised voters

The ridiculous following Beto has garnered with young voters and politically apathetic people would not really be there if he came out like Bill Clinton circa 1992 trying to appeal to the GOP. It might be a toss up as to which could get you more votes, but at least in the end, he's not necessarily a sellout. Which he would probably care more about being genuine to himself and his mission rather than winning. I wouldn't agree to that, but he most certainly thinks that way. 

14 minutes ago, Comet said:

I really don't think you can have it both ways. 

• Appeal to Republicans who can't stand Cruz, taking a moderate stance in general to do so
  • Appeal to your own values and go and stir up excitement from the disenfranchised voters

The ridiculous following Beto has garnered with young voters and politically apathetic people would not really be there if he came out like Bill Clinton circa 1992 trying to appeal to the GOP. It might be a toss up as to which could get you more votes, but at least in the end, he's not necessarily a sellout. Which he would probably care more about being genuine to himself and his mission rather than winning. I wouldn't agree to that, but he most certainly thinks that way. 

The Democrats need to learn from the GOP: It's better to lose with a true-blue candidate than the lose with one that went to "the middle." The reason is that your base gets fired up by the former, and will stay fired up even if they lose. 

Dems also need to have quality candidates up and down the ballot; part of the story in Virginia was Northam's lead extending thanks to people turning out for lower card races and juicing overall numbers. Having a quality Congressperson to vote for increases the chance they'll vote up ticket too even if that person doesn't excite them.

In politics, it seems, coattails are rode in both directions.

Edit: P.S. This can also help cover the need for enthusiasm. Ralph Northam didn't need as much charisma because other well known candidates in the state did.

3 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I know it seems like this means something, but it doesn't. 

A reporter teed up a question for Trump and he swallows the bait and the hook together, leaning into the thing that happened. This is the same thing with the NYT teeing up Mueller's Red Line and many many instances since. 

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I know it seems like this means something, but it doesn't. 

A reporter teed up a question for Trump and he swallows the bait and the hook together, leaning into the thing that happened. This is the same thing with the NYT teeing up Mueller's Red Line and many many instances since. 

I don't think it means anything; it's just funny to me. :p 

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

The Democrats need to learn from the GOP: It's better to lose with a true-blue candidate than the lose with one that went to "the middle." The reason is that your base gets fired up by the former, and will stay fired up even if they lose. 

Let's be real, Republicans will vote for ANYONE with an R in front of their name and there's nothing Dems can do about that. They were LITERALLY about to elect a child predator. LITERALLY.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

The fact that the Democrats have a real possibility of claiming the House and several governorships is an achievement in and of itself considering the decimation of the party at all levels since 2010.

And like I said, there's always the option of violence!

:grittycube:

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I always tell myself I'll take election day off.  Not so I can vote (Absentee for me!), but so I can just watch the news all day.  I find it exciting, and since I'm neither a Republican or a Democrat, I can't be that upset or happy about the results. 

39 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

The fact that the Democrats have a real possibility of claiming the House and several governorships is an achievement in and of itself considering the decimation of the party at all levels since 2010.

And like I said, there's always the option of violence!

Both parties have faced decimation multiple times in history and rebounded. It's not really that shocking.

Also, they could potentially win around a dozen governorships.

24 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

No on both. I am not a big fan of special tax breaks for one, and on the property improvement over, fuck those guys. Wealthy enough to make flood improvements to your house, and you want a tax break for it? Get outta here

I'm a hard "no" on the flood improvements one, but still undecided on the veterans one.