~*Official Utterly Useless Old Woman, AOC, and UBI Thread*~

One week.

Two years of political hell, and we're down to one week from being able to finally do something about it.

I feel like in some ways a substantive portion of two years of my life has been wasted because every day there's this cloud hanging over all our heads about what vile, racist, misogynist thing our president is going to say or do next. Like living in a constant state of never being able to fully relax.

19 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

One week.

Two years of political hell, and we're down to one week from being able to finally do something about it.

I feel like in some ways a substantive portion of two years of my life has been wasted because every day there's this cloud hanging over all our heads about what vile, racist, misogynist thing our president is going to say or do next. Like living in a constant state of never being able to fully relax.

I was bummed election night and worried about the future, but I told myself, "No matter what happens in Washington, I need to make sure that my life is just fine regardless. And I need to be involved." And so for me, personally, it's been a delightful two years, from weight loss to learning skills I never thought of learning to concentrating on my career and getting a good raise to taking my first cruises ever. I had to re-calibrate to make sure that I remembered that the person with the most control over me is me.

Civic engagement was the biggest change. I always voted in presidential elections and midterms and I voted down ballot, but the past two years, I've voted in small county referendums, I've voted down to school board and soil conservation, and I want to continue that until death because we all are supposed to be born with this voice, so it's about time we use it.

It's honestly driven me into being better, so if anyone's noticed a lot of optimism from my end, it's more that we became complacent, and I feel more empowered than ever to make change. And if it doesn't work, I try again the next time, but I just went eight years watching every locality try to block national policy that I liked, and I've realized that if I can better my community and state, that'll make a small difference no matter what happens nationally.

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

One week.

I was going through unemployment during election night, so from then until I got hired in February, that was probably the lowest point of my life.

And now, soon after this election, I'll be starting another job that appears to be promising.

I hope both this election and this job work out in my favor, for the sake of my sanity...

• stepee 3

6 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I try not to indulge in rampant acts of optimism, but I am reminded of Nate Silver pointing out that after liberals lost in 2016 we've kind of become dug in to this assumption that every polling error  inherently falls to the benefit of the GOP. And that's not necessarily the case.

If Dems are up 7 and the margin of error is 3, that might mean Dems only win by 4, but it might also might mean they win by 10.

Underestimating the enthusiasm of a notoriously apathetic voter base seems to have a lot of potential for messing with models.

2 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I try not to indulge in rampant acts of optimism, but I am reminded of Nate Silver pointing out that after liberals lost in 2016 we've kind of become dug in to this assumption that every polling error  inherently falls to the benefit of the GOP. And that's not necessarily the case.

If Dems are up 7 and the margin of error is 3, that might mean Dems only win by 4, but it might also might mean they win by 10.

Underestimating the enthusiasm of a notoriously apathetic voter base seems to have a lot of potential for messing with models.

Yeah, in 2012, it fell to the Democrats. In 2014, it fell big time with Republicans, particularly in governors' mansions.

I'm not gonna walk in expecting Dems to overperform because that's an easy set-up for disappointment. But let's just say it wouldn't surprise me based on special elections thus far and I certainly hope they do.

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

A poll released today had Cruz up 3.2%, be interesting how accurate polls are with like half the states already eclipsing their early vote totals from 2014 with a week left to go.

If (and that's a strong if) the youth vote is actually between 30-40% (instead of the normal 10-20%) this election in Texas, then the polls are going to be off since they are presuming a normal turnout for that age range. Didn't someone just run the numbers and say that the 18-29 vote is up 508% in one state? 65+ is also up 98%, however.

But I think it's possible that in some states we are going to see an even larger margin for the Democrats than predicted by polls. And we have Snapchat to thank for that, I think. At least one social media platform is doing good work for democracy.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

If (and that's a strong if) the youth vote is actually between 30-40% (instead of the normal 10-20%) this election in Texas, then the polls are going to be off since they are presuming a normal turnout for that age range. Didn't someone just run the numbers and say that the 18-29 vote is up 508% in one state? 65+ is also up 98%, however.

But I think it's possible that in some states we are going to see an even larger margin for the Democrats than predicted by polls. And we have Snapchat to thank for that, I think. At least one social media platform is doing good work for democracy.

Theres like this weird obsession within the polling community to say youth turnout isn't going to be huge even when their own numbers say otherwise, maybe they're being defensive about their models i have no idea, but this NBC headline is just wild, while its data has 57% of millennials saying they will Probably or definitely vote.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/record-turnout-not-millennials-just-third-say-they-ll-vote-n926231

I am about to turn 32 and been heavily into politics since my teens and young people not voting is one of the most infuriating things on God's green Earth.

For the love of everything that is holy they need to go out and fucking VOTE for chrissakes. It shouldn't be a 40% turnout even (as amazing as that is) it should be 100%. Like, why isn't it? What the fuck are they doing? It's during the day on a Tuesday, they don't go to college classes anyway. GO FUCKING VOTE.

Sorry, it's just so stupid. As stupid as why there is low minority voter turnout too. 

FUCKING VOTE.

17 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I am about to turn 32 and been heavily into politics since my teens and young people not voting is one of the most infuriating things on God's green Earth.

For the love of everything that is holy they need to go out and fucking VOTE for chrissakes. It shouldn't be a 40% turnout even (as amazing as that is) it should be 100%. Like, why isn't it? What the fuck are they doing? It's during the day on a Tuesday, they don't go to college classes anyway. GO FUCKING VOTE.

Sorry, it's just so stupid. As stupid as why there is low minority voter turnout too. 

FUCKING VOTE.

I mean we have the easiest system by which to vote: we vote on a Tuesday, employers are on board with giving time off to vote(doesn't need to be paid, the great majority of people don't live paycheck to paycheck and their health insurance isn't tied to employment), lines are short to non-existent in convenient locations, and there no deliberate voter suppression.

• Haha 1

The next time the Democrats win both houses of congress and the Presidency (if ever), they need to do three things:

1) Make election day a national holiday

2) Make Puerto Rico a state (and possibly DC...but there are decent arguments against it)

3) Double or triple the size of the House of Representatives (which also fixes the electoral college to a degree, giving more weight to the populous states).

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

The next time the Democrats win both houses of congress and the Presidency (if ever), they need to do three things:

2) Make Puerto Rico a state (and possibly DC...but there are decent arguments against it)

3) Double or triple the size of the House of Representatives (which also fixes the electoral college to a degree, giving more weight to the populous states).

None of these three things will happen. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

They should also tenderly fellate you while baking you a pot pie if we dare to dream so large. 

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I mean we have the easiest system by which to vote: we vote on a Tuesday, employers are on board with giving time off to vote(doesn't need to be paid, the great majority of people don't live paycheck to paycheck and their health insurance isn't tied to employment), lines are short to non-existent in convenient locations, and there no deliberate voter suppression.

I'm aware of all those reasons and they don't apply to the young any more than they do to the old. Presumably it would apply to the young less since they have energy and drive the old presumably don't have, and they are more socially aware and technologically plugged in.

And some of those reasons are new - yet young people historically never vote. So, again, doesn't per se apply. If this was in reference to minorities, while the fact those reasons exist does indeed suck, work twice as hard to vote to get 'er done then. It can be done, even if it is a huge hassle. That's how important it is.