The First Descendant | F2P 3rd Person Action RPG Shooter Using Unreal Engine 5 | Coming July 2, 2024 for Consoles & PC

Keyser_Soze

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Time to invest in a rubber stamp!

I wish but its a state level process, and that means old, dumb rules that are in theory design to prevent...corruption. Yes, New York, the land of corruption free government! :lol:

• True 1

I put another hour or so into it. I'm enjoying it but it is a bit odd in some spots.

The combat is really good and fun and fast, which is a good thing because you'll be doing a lot of it.

The odd parts come in everything else. Like, you're automatically instanced with people all over the world and then if someone starts a mission then any random person in the area is doing the mission. It feels weird at first. But then when you go to the "dungeons" you can choose to do it alone or with other people. Since I was already accustomed to doing it with other people I just did that first dungeon with other people.

Then some of the things that were hard to follow until you get into the menu was the idea of "mastery" and all the trinkets and stuff. It doesn't help that in the middle of combat it gives you tutorial prompts and you can't exactly read it while doing everything else. :p

Pro tip: look at your map in the big hub area and go visit the various things around there, and it might give you an idea of what to do with all this junk.

I put in 2 hours yesterday and I'm enjoying it, but I agree with all of the Weird you mentioned @Keyser_Soze. That said, because I've logged an ungodly amount of Warframe time and Plenty of Destiny, I figured most of the upgrading out well enough. Hoping back in today for an extended run. 

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I do like those pandas a lot

It looks beyond weird when you see them wandering around the game environment, because the world is clean, cold, and almost clinical. Why is that panda in the O.R.? 

• Hype 1

Normally I don’t try much f2p but if the hook is interesting like say all the destruction in The Finals then I’ll give it some time playing around. Panda is a good hook. Is it pretty impressive looking as a UE5 title?

Maybe I’ll check it out when I get back if you guys still think it’s good in a month :P

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Normally I don’t try much f2p but if the hook is interesting like say all the destruction in The Finals then I’ll give it some time playing around. Panda is a good hook. Is it pretty impressive looking as a UE5 title?

Maybe I’ll check it out when I get back if you guys still think it’s good in a month :P

Here is a graphics quality quick break down

Engine - 10 

Art Direction - 7

Budget to leverage UE5 - 5

• Sad 1

OK, after 9 hours logged, I have 2 descendants (playable characters). I've fought and defeated two of the colossi, which function as the games gate keeper bosses. The game is a game. It has game stuff you can do. It has wordy dialog everywhere you turn, and its definitely a collection of words. Combat involves the act of fighting. There are many "fleebs" to collect. The story characters are either try hard dorks or embarrassingly lame. All of the women are sex dolls and all of the men are gruff tough guys. Except for "Jeremy", who I think is a pretty bad representation of a gay man. Imagine if Ray from Archer was an unhinged spaz. The person who wrote this definitely has a sword cane and believes that the epitome of cool is cruising around on a motorcycle, face a permanent grimace, hoping, but totally not CARING if anyone even notices them. Also there are mods for your character. Also, I've played quite a few Social looter shooters and I have to say that this one has the highest concentration of gross names for player characters that I have ever seen. 

Also, What is with the boss names?! The first boss you fight is named: wait for it... Greg. No, I'm not kidding. Also, also, the covert wing of your G.I. Joe doofus parade is called...COLON. :lol: This is a fucking dumb game! :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sicko 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@Mr.Vic20 So I unlocked Bunny too. Did you switch or did you keep yourself rolling with whoever you are?

I'm tempted but I kind of want to wait till I get Valby to switch (If I get Valby lol :p )

I’m jumping back and forth between them. Working on a third now and just got my first gold weapon.

• Hype 1

41 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I’m jumping back and forth between them. Working on a third now and just got my first gold weapon.

I started research on that thunder weapon, or whatever it's called. Since Bunny was one minute I saw the 4 and said, "ok 4 minutes" but hung around and looked a bit closer. 4 HOURS!

Whoops! :p

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I started research on that thunder weapon, or whatever it's called. Since Bunny was one minute I saw the 4 and said, "ok 4 minutes" but hung around and looked a bit closer. 4 HOURS!

Whoops! :p

When you get your thunder gun, note that it will be crafted as a level 1 weapon. You'll need to upgrade it by sacrificing the highest level weapon you don't want. You can merge those weapons at the station right next to teh gun dealer in Albion. 

23 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

You'll need to upgrade it by sacrificing the highest level weapon you don't want.

That's fine because that's like the end of every mission. :p

Jesus you get a lot of guns and junk VERY fast.

• True 1

They had a "dev chat" a little bit ago. Not every glamorous and my man needs a mod in the chat badly. That being said that discord translation bot also more @stepee bait.

The Cliff notes:

• Apology for Caliber delay because there were so many purchases the server overloaded.
  • Apology for Azure service failure. The dev team stayed up all night to fix it.
  • PS5 performance patch coming
  • They plan to improve client and server stability
  •  Fix various bugs and the loud Nexon logo sound
  • Fix for Twitch drops not getting distributed or beta test rewards

• Talks about Open API - Which is why the TOS you sign at the start is the way it is. And they don't use your personal information except for nicknames - (If you were unaware this is part of the review bombs the game got on Steam)

• Improvement to sound of assault rifle.
  • They will revise and improve (the crashes) - Out of Video Memory is part of one crash, it's related to Intel CPUs that you need to change in the BIOS
  • Season 1 starts on August 29, Season 2 in December (with a bunch of other info on the slide)
  • New Descendant Luna, Ultimate Valby and new boss (July 2)
  • Seasons will be 3 months long and new content will be updated every month

Played a little more, beat Greg. I wasn’t paying much attention to my loot this early on, I guess because I’m used to more gradual stat increases. But no, I quickly realized I had guns that were like 20x stronger than what I was using. Suddenly heads were exploding with ease.  :lol: 

It’s fun, I see the appeal. If I had people to roll around with I would probably stick with it, but as it is I don’t see myself playing for long. 

Reached my first confusing quest moment. The side quest where you have to pick up shards for the next descendant. It was like "put the shards in the thing next to the reactor" and I was like what the hell? Then I saw you had to get more fragments than what I had but yeah there are some confusing quest wordings (similar to my wordings) in the game that could maybe have a tad bit more detail.

• Halal 1

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Apology for Caliber delay because there were so many purchases the server overloaded

It's interesting, on this note, I didn't think much about this. But it's currently the #1 "top selling" on steam so it is actually pretty wild to imagine how many people bought something from this to overload the servers. Also #5 concurrent so this game is doing well so far.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Fix various bugs and the loud Nexon logo sound

Also, not something I thought about much until it was pointed out. It was kind of loud. But it's been patched now it makes no sound! :p

There is a clear cultural and language lens warp happening here. It makes most of the dialog and characters seem like they are at a summer camp for cosplaying “sexy lame Armageddon”. People, we now face an existential threat, make sure everyone keeps it tight and looks like a hyper sexualized caricature! Ladies, we’re going to be fighting in some really rugged and hostile environments and every choice counts, so you know what that means! High heels on and tits out soldiers, we’re going to war! :duckhuntdog:

and yet, despite all that, the fact that I’m still playing 20 hours in (hopefully) tells you that there is a genuine core game loop that works. It really should since it’s ripped off some of the best in the business for the majority of its ideas. 

• Hype 1

My friends wanted to play it, probably because it was free, so we tried it last night. I am not all that impressed as I am already bored. I have gotten to the point where the more grinding and types of things grind for bore me at a conceptual level. I’d be more put off by the monetization if the game wasn’t free. 

missions are too short and too easy. Mission and level design too linear. The mission objectives are very similar and a fee hours in already getting repetitive.  But honestly it is that the missions feel over too quickly where we’ve never been close to dying where the game feels uninteresting. Greg wasn’t hard. He was just tanky. He was more interesting, but only for the first third of the fight. 

voice acting is a mixes bag. Bunny is just Tracer, but every other women seems bored and uninterested. Men are hamming it up. So bad it’s funny, but never good. Writing wise it just feels like they slammed every cliche from every show, movie, and game that has done this before. So much of this game feels like this, but not as well executed as their “inspirations”. 

• stepee 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

No room for Bunny haters ITT. BANNED! :talkhand:

the biggest disappointment in Bunny, besides the on-the-nose design and name (a common thing with this game and nouns) , is that she doesn’t move any faster than the character I had before. In gameplay she feels no different than the ice lady, but in lighting flavor. She doesn’t even have a different jump or dodge. They took so much from Destiny and made the classes even more interchangeable where their personality exists only in cutscenes. 

20 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

the biggest disappointment in Bunny, besides the on-the-nose design and name (a common thing with this game and nouns) , is that she doesn’t move any faster than the character I had before. In gameplay she feels no different than the ice lady, but in lighting flavor. She doesn’t even have a different jump or dodge. They took so much from Destiny and made the classes even more interchangeable where their personality exists only in cutscenes. 

Fake news! When she jumps and lands she sends out an electric pulse.