Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | PC/PS5/Xbox Series | July 19, 2024, Update (07/15): reviews from OpenCritic posted

Keyser_Soze

Fend off foul creatures and lead the Spirit Stone Maiden on her path. Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a brand new title which upholds Capcom’s legacy of original and innovative works. This labor of love follows in the tradition of truly unique titles such as Okami and Shinsekai – Into the Depths. Explore an incredible world in which traditional Japanese aesthetics are brought to stunning life by the power of RE Engine. Enjoy a unique gameplay experience blending action and strategy. Witness an epic clash between the spirit realm and mortal man.

Making a thread for this one, maybe they show more off at the Capcom thing tomorrow 🤔

• 8 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | Day One Game Pass Coming 2024
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | PC/PS5/Xbox Series | 2024, update: recent videos posted
  • 2 months later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | PC/PS5/Xbox Series | July 19, 2024, update: SGF Video
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | PC/PS5/Xbox Series | July 19, 2024, Update: Making of Video #0
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

I'd say they don't make 'em like they used to, but this take on tower defense really dances to its own beat.

It takes the eyes a few seconds to focus on what Kunitsu-Gami actually is, past the lush painterly graphics that pull heavily from traditional Japanese art. What we have here is essentially tower defense, except the "core" you must defend is a woman ceremonially dancing her way across a corrupted landscape, purging it of its defilement with ceremonial twirls. And your towers are villagers you free from the spiritual malaise and give defensive roles to fill: an axeman who will valiantly go head-to-head with the yokai pouring out of corrupted Torii gates, or a shaman who freezes surrounding enemies every few seconds.

And, because this is a Capcom game, you also get to run around with a katana and slice yokai to pieces far more quickly than the villagers can do themselves. 

Kunitsu-Gami establishes its loop very quickly: during the daytime I scurried around a compact stage with a few paths that branch off the central road, looking for corrupted growths to purge by slashing them or holding a button for a few seconds. These provide the magical currency (orbs!) I used to assign villagers roles, but I also needed to spend loads of orbs to clear the road for the maiden to be able to progress. Time passes, and after roughly eight minutes (when I didn't choose to fast forward) day would turn to night and monsters would begin pouring out of one end of the map, headed for the maiden. 

@Keyser_Soze

Just now, stepee said:

Capcom is one company that DOES do demos, and I think, assuming this is good, it would be a good idea for them to!

Right. Release a demo , aka the beginning of the game, and let your demo save carry over to the full release

Do It GIF

• True 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | PC/PS5/Xbox Series | July 19, 2024, Update (07/01): demo available on Steam/PSN/XBL
52 minutes ago, Brian said:

Played the first level on Ally. I can kind of get it to a lock 30 fps while looking pretty good. 

Im surprised ally can’t hold at least 40 - I definitely had to lock it to 30fps but was able to do decent looking settings at native 800p. The default settings are ROUGH and it isn’t  worth trying to push past 30 especially because you really want to see the art here as the main draw.

In general I would probably moonlight stream this one to a handheld from my desktop because unlike other “its all about the art” the art here seems to rely on heavier lighting work and post process to achieve its intended look. 

Glad it’s coming to gamepass, I’ll try it again after launch. I’m glad you do a lot of actual action but I wonder if everything else will bore me too much.

Will wait for impressions on this one. Strategy isn't exactly my forte, but I'd be willing to give it a look if it doesn't go too far into the minutia and micromanaging. If it's just allocating resources to different allies and assets to get bonuses and shit, that would be alright.

• 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jul 19, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 19, 2024)
  • PC (Jul 19, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jul 19, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 19, 2024)

Developer: CAPCOM CO., LTD.

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 81 average - 86% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

The Nerd Stash - Julio La Pine - 9.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is an enthralling and addictive game that everyone should experience at least once. Its combination of gameplay elements and approach to replayability are flawless and something that will hook players in for hours.

Generación Xbox - Frank Montes - Spanish - 93 / 100

One of the impressive details of this industry comes with those games that break the established mold, going beyond all conventions and seeking to provide us with a rewarding and entertaining experience, and Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess fits perfectly with these words.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9 / 10

I'm blown away that Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess seemingly came out of nowhere and it's as awesome of a game as it is. From its exciting strategic combat to its gorgeous moments of downtime all wrapped in outstanding audio, I absolutely can't wait for a sequel. 🏯

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 9 / 10

All the precision and craftsmanship of Capcom are found in this unique game, which mixes action and strategy in one of the most compact and memorable experiences of the year.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10

A wonderfully fresh combination of genres that probably shouldn’t mesh as well as it ultimately does, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a unique and thrilling game that shows just how creative Capcom can still be.

Final Weapon - Alex Patterson - 4.5 / 5

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a wonderfully strange experience that deserves as much recognition as Capcom's heavy hitters. An imaginitive gameplay structure, fantastic artwork, and a beautiful soundtrack combine to form a package that's well worth your time. I absolutely love it, and if it strikes your interest, you probably will too.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a unique game that brilliantly blends together action and strategy, resulting in a game that makes you think and keeps you on your toes. Add in sublime enemy design and a wonderful soundtrack, and you have a game that rubs shoulders with the best of 2024 so far.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 9 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami is one of the most exciting titles of 2024 so far, with thrilling combat and strategy in such a beautifully designed world.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - 9 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami is more than just a visually appealing game; its unique gameplay style offers a dynamic action-strategy experience that is truly worth your time. The mechanics are intuitive and easy to implement, allowing you to focus on the overall strategy without overthinking. Its user-friendly customization is remarkable, enabling you to play at your own pace while consistently challenging you with its well-designed game mechanics.

The presentation of Kunitsu-Gami is exceptional. From the music and aesthetics to the simple yet engaging storytelling, the game’s world is beautifully crafted. You can take the time to appreciate its originality and cultural elements through its many extras. It is a fully realized world, with every element contributing to its charm, providing something to marvel at during your downtimes.

Sirus Gaming - Erickson Melchor - 9 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami Path of the Goddess is an amazing game deserving of a spot in Capcom's roster of games. I don't see it as something that'll get the Resident Evil treatment of world-building, but it is nonetheless another hit from Capcom. Hopefully, we may see another collaboration with Okami if the stars align. I highly recommend this game for players who enjoy a lot of hack-and-slash action in their games and wouldn't mind a small dose of RTS to round out the experience.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 9 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a delightful surprise from Capcom. It's not a big-budget blockbuster or the obvious start to a franchise, but this unusual stand-alone game really feels like something creative and special. The core gameplay loop is plenty of fun, and the graphics are a testament to strong art design. Indeed, the only real complaints I can find are a few lackluster boss fights. It's a game that hearkens back to the days of titles like Okami - and not just in visual appearance. Kunitsu-Gami is absolutely worth a look if you're a fan of Capcom's unconventional titles.

Hobby Consolas - Daniel Quesada - Spanish - 88 / 100

Capcom continues on a roll with a game full of personality, which can overwhelm a little at first but that catches you hopelessly with its very balanced mix of action, strategy and folklore. Don't miss out on trying it.

The Games Machine - Nicholas Mercurio - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is an original and exciting video game, capable of captivating through its game design and showing a pleasant and touching story. It might be challenging for those who are unaccustomed, but that's the beauty of deep video games, with a playful expression that reaches its peak through a fantastic approach.

PC Gamer - Kerry Brunskill - 86 / 100

Kunitsu-Gami's a gorgeous and engaging take on the tower defence formula.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess succesfully brings together elements of the tried-and-true strategy and action genres to offer up something truly unique. While there will be debate about how worthwhile the replay value is here, Path of the Goddess leverages some incredible enemy and objective variety to keep things fresh from beginning to end.

Nexus Hub - Sahil Lala - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a throwback to Capcom's daring PS2 days in all the best ways - a fast, strategic and challenging action-RTS that blends genres to great effect.

PlayStation Universe - Joe Richards - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a wonderfully innovative fusion of genres that managed to take me on a journey from frustration to being totally absorbed in the world that it offers. Across a lengthy campaign, everything comes together to create a story that feels well and truly realised. Some rough edges do little to diminish just how impressed I am in how quickly this game managed to turn me around. While it might take a while for it to truly soar, it soars high.

TechRaptor - Tyler Chancey - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is light on overt storytelling, but packed with satisfying, entertaining action strategy gameplay. It's worth a look.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8.5 / 10

While Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess may not be the best action game or the best tower defense game around, Yoshiro and Soh's journey is undeniably compelling. Thanks to great map, scenario, and enemy design, along with plenty of viable tactical options and a wide arsenal of abilities, this new IP from CAPCOM stands out as one of the most surprising titles of the year, held back only by minor issues, such as a shallow narrative and a low challenge level.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is experimental Capcom at its best.  While some of the fights can teeter on feeling unfair the majority of the game is a glorious mix of hack-and-slash action with a heavy dose of tower defense.  It’s launching directly into Game Pass and is well worth checking out for anyone looking for 14+ hours of a damned good time.

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 82%

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is the much needed risk so much of the games industry refuses to take. It’s an artistic gem that despite some rough edges bursts with creative ideas and a very strong vision. While it may not appeal to everyone, this has all the ingredients for a cult classic.

Gamersky - Mega杰尼龟 - Chinese - 8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a unique work in its own right. Capcom has seamlessly blended action and tower defense - two seemingly unrelated genres - using an astonishing art style and the niche, mysterious theme of Shintoism, making the game look more like a piece of art emerging from a rural shrine.

However, like many games that attempt to merge different gameplay styles, this fusion brings a fresh experience but also weakens the depth of both genres.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess’ amazing art style and clever blend of action and tower defense make this experimental title one that succeeds despite some flaws.

Gamers Heroes - Johnny Hurricane - 80 / 100

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is one of those games that will have you going back for one more quick level. If you’re still on the fence, check out the demo and get yourself hooked.

SECTOR.sk - Branislav Kohút - Slovak - 8 / 10

Undoubtedly, the original game combines action battles with the tactical use of settlers and preparations for the invasion of monsters. All wrapped up in Japanese folklore.

IGN - Casey DeFreitas - 8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a fascinatingly fun action-strategy hybrid with unique gameplay and impressive art design.

CGMagazine - Zubi Khan - 8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a strategy game like no other, complete with that classic Capcom charm, making it an essential experience for longtime fans of the studio.

Hardcore Gamer - Jordan Helm - 4 / 5

An easy-to-grasp premise coupled with a campaign with an abundance of clever twists and turns, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess stands as one of Capcom's most interesting ventures into smaller-scale experiences yet. A game that doesn't shy away from its smaller stature, yet never feels like it's sacrificing the quality of production we've come to expect and praise Capcom for. Some great artistic use of color and lighting on top, only emboldening further a game that feels miniature yet grand at the same time. The surprise isn't that Capcom can excel just as well on newer, smaller-scale projects. It's that for a premise revolving around a combination of combat, real-time tactics, overhead management and tower defense-style adaptation, Capcom and Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess have found a way to make such anxieties of the Strategy genre a still-perilous but altogether more exciting and interesting path worth taking.

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 8 / 10

An adventure full of strategy, designed for both veterans and newcomers, and distinguished by its beautiful artistic direction. It's hard not to grown attached to Soh and Yoshiro during their pilgrimage.

Noisy Pixel - Bailey Seemangal - 8 / 10

I had no idea what to expect from Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess, but it will undeniably be another hit under Capcom's growing catalog of critically acclaimed successes. On a personal level, this title echoes some portion of the developer's past that I've missed dearly, and sincerely hope it sticks around and grows. The gameplay shortcomings here may fail at encourgaing the incentivized repaly value enough, but they don't detract from the quality present here.

PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a compilation of good ideas, elevated by the excellent setting, delivering a very entertaining title for fans of Japanese mythology and a clear love letter from the developers to it.

Pure Xbox - PJ O'Reilly - 8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a unique strategy experience that draws from traditional Japanese culture to give us an incredibly detailed world to work through, one bite-sized level at a time. The strategy here is tight, the animations and combat look and feel great, and the dancing, music and base-building ensure that there's always something to do in the downtime between Seethe-destroying sorties. Capcom are still on that hot streak, and we are here for it.

Screen Rant - Ben Brosofsky - 4 / 5

Kunitsu-Gami isn't going to be for everyone, and even for those who do find it alluring, its gameplay loop might eventually start to wear thin. But it's hard not to love something this creative, especially when its seemingly disparate gameplay elements are so deftly unified with a consistent and compelling style. There might be hundreds of fluid action games with more sophisticated combos and hundreds of strategy titles with deeper mechanics, but there's only one Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess, and that makes it worth a lot more than many of those games will ever be.

TheGamer - James Kennedy - 4 / 5

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a breath of fresh air. Its tireless commitment to its aesthetic, and enticing, varied gameplay make for a memorable experience. One that is as charming as it is enthralling. In an era where Capcom largely produces remakes and sequels, games like Kunitsu-Gami are more important than ever. Every inch of Kunitsu-Gami feels deliberate, and the passion of those who developed it bleeds through. Kunitsu-Gami is carving a path forward for Capcom, and at the end of that path is a more creative gaming landscape.

Windows Central - Zachary Boddy - 4 / 5

Capcom's new franchise takes another stab at combining action and strategy game genres, and it does so with great success. This tower-defense-like pits you against varied hordes of enemies across diverse challenge stages dripping with style, and it's a lot of fun to conquer. It can sometimes be frustrating more than invigorating, though.

Digital Chumps - Ben Sheene - 8 / 10

Much like last year's Exoprimal, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of The Goddess shows a Capcom willing to take risks. In this particular experiment, a tower defense/action strategy hybrid is bathed in Japanese culture with deliberate--sometimes slow--gameplay.

Spaziogames - Domenico Musicò - Italian - 7.8 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a blend of genres that demontrates how Capcom is one of the few brave Majors left that can experiment with games in a market of mere clones. Not a top-notch game, but a very consistent one.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Giulia Serena - Italian - 7.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a game that successfully blends action, strategy, and management elements, offering a varied and engaging experience. My initial hesitation towards the strategy genre turned into growing satisfaction as I progressed through the levels, thanks in part to the highly inspired artistic direction and attention to Japanese cultural details that make Capcom's title unique and captivating. However, certain aspects, such as character design and the storyline, could have been improved.

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 75 / 100

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a very good game that mixes some genres that seem unmixable, but once you start to play it, you see that the combination of action RPG and strategy tower defence is not just possible but highly likeable.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 75 / 100

Kunitsu-Gami is a striking game both conceptually and visually, exactly the kind of experimental game that I wish we got more often. I just also wish it pushed itself a little further than it does. Offense runs the show in Kunitsu-Gami, which unfortunately undermines some of its potential strengths. Still, the game keeps itself engaging with its hybrid of action and strategy, as well as the courage to change up its structure.

Fun Factor - Diogo Arez - Portuguese - 7 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is an interesting mix of action and tower defense strategy, with an impressive art direction and a charm that reminded me of old PS2 Capcom titles like Okami, although some gameplay issues and the first few tedious hours hold it back.

Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 3.5 / 5

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess isn't perfect, but it's a fascinating game and one that begs for a more refined sequel that builds on its ideas. What's here is still mostly great and should greatly appeal to fans of tower defense games, the Pikmin series, and even the Demon Slayer anime. It's great to see Capcom willing to roll the dice on such a unique concept, and hopefully there's more of Kunitsu-Gami to come.

Gameblog - _SutterCane - French - 7 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess won't be the game of the year, but it's still a pleasant surprise from Capcom.

Gamefa - Mostafa Zahedi - Persian - 7 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a unique game with a beautiful art style. it once again shows that Capcom is not afraid to experiment with new ideas. that being said, hybrid nature of the game somewhat works as a double edge sword, meaning it stops both gameplay elements: Action and Strategic from becoming fully operational. Nonetheless, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is one of the most unique games in recent years.

Push Square - Max Freeman Mills - 7 / 10

It might not feel quite as new as its billing, but Kunitsu-Gami is still a lovely little game, with a seriously engrossing hook that'll have you wishing it was longer than it actually is. The plates it keeps spinning are impressive, even if it's actually a little slight in the final weighing.

But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 6 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami Path of the Goddess is an incredibly mixed bag that, while including several great elements, is held back by overly simplistic, floaty combat mechanics and a lackluster narrative.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 6 / 10

Fascinatingly strange in all the best ways but while the action is solid the strategy aspects are undercooked and the disparate gameplay elements never gel the way they should.

Chicas Gamers - Álvaro Bustío - Spanish - Unscored

Capcom has decided to give us something different, and we can say that they have succeeded. Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess manages to combine the already obsolete world of tower defense with the incombustible hack & slash that we all like, and it does so with a title that has incredible synergy. The game surprises, amuses and does not bore, bombarding us with new mechanics or objectives that constantly give us a feeling of freshness and constant originality without overwhelming us, something that is very difficult in a strategy game.

The game has a large number of missions, which also invite us to tackle many very different situations, so at one point we will be in a cavern without light, another in the middle of a boat trip or at others we will just be a spirit. and we will only be able to give orders to the villagers. In addition, it invites you to replay its levels to get rewards if we meet certain objectives such as finishing the level without taking damage or in a certain amount of time. We can assure you that you will have a good handful of hours ahead of you before finishing it, with the main campaign being very difficult to finish in no less than 15 hours of play.

Console Creatures - Patrick Tremblay - Recommended

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess may not be for everyone. Tower defence games are a niche genre; many may not enjoy the repetitive aspect. However, the game is captivating, with diverse gameplay and well-balanced challenges.

• Shocked 2

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess - New IP From Capcom | PC/PS5/Xbox Series | July 19, 2024, Update (07/15): reviews from OpenCritic posted

It's a really solid game for sure. Not one I'll play long term but it's well made, fun, different in a good way and Capcom kinda going back to their roots. Found myself playing longer than I thought when I first tried it