Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - update (08/28): hands-on previews from Gamescom

Keyser_Soze

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

98feeeb59386013722b4d12a72e01934.png

WHY JAPAN?! WHY?!?!?!?

Would Japan die if they stopped putting in shitty fake animal mascot characters? I HATE THEM! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I mean, it won't stop me from getting the game BUT MAN

Props to FF4 for not having one of those.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | Coming 2024 - Announcement Trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | Coming Fall 2024 - Announcement Trailer
  • 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

It looks pretty action-y. I'm into that. If I ever finish Persona 5 maybe I'll give this a look. 

It's a hybrid. You fight the lower-level enemies in real time, and the higher-level ones in turn based. But I'm guessing you spend most of the combat in the turn-based.

• Halal 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Keyser_Soze changed the title to Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | Coming October 10, 2024 - Character Showcase Trailer

This might be my most anticipated game for the rest of the year. With that in mind, I don't think I need to watch any more videos of it. I'd rather take in all the characters and the world while playing the game.

I’m looking forward to it, but I am slightly disappointed there aren’t romances. I always have fun with them in rpgs.  I appreciate they’re building something new with different systems from Persona. I’ll buy this eventually! 

On 7/31/2024 at 6:39 AM, XxEvil AshxX said:

This game looks neat but seriously that animated graphic around the text boxes would the annoy the fuck out of me. The whole ADHD flashiness of this game is the same reason I couldn't do Persona.

Ndv0J0R.png

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - update (08/23): recent trailers

WWW.IGN.COM

Atlus is doing what it does best by bringing what we love about Persona to a fascinating, politically charged fantasy world in its new RPG Metaphor ReFantazio.

Playing five hours of Metaphor ReFantazio proved what I'd been thinking for years since I fell in love with Persona – that the series foundation could reach new heights if used in a different context. And the context here is a violent political fantasy drama. The daily structure and social sim mechanics built around a turn-based RPG are so familiar but have been revamped in several small yet impactful ways, and it's shaping up to be a brilliant, synergistic way of exploring an entirely new and fascinating fiction in the comfort of a framework I already know and love.

WWW.VIDEOGAMER.COM

Key takeaway from our Metaphor ReFantazio preview? It's good, and we need more of it.

In my hour with Metaphor ReFantazio, I came up with a long list of reasons why this is a bold move from Atlus. Its departure from established IP is exciting, especially considering the long list of Persona rehashes we’ve seen since P5 dropped. But the questions I wanted answered most focused on what the world is going to be like, is traversal going to be more of the same ice-skating across barren land, or will we continue navigating through cities in SMT’s signature (yet dated) pin-drop dungeon crawler style? Thankfully, Atlus does away with its previous systems, and exploring one of its worlds is finally a rewarding and interactive experience. One where you’re not constantly fighting against the environment or jerky controls. The Vengeance reboot for SMT:V teased the next-gen potential of Atlus’ games, but there was an irrefutable element of scarcity. The world was barren, boring at times, and weirdly uncanny for the rest. Euchronia flips that on its head. The world is brimming with life and interactivity where its spiritual predecessors could not, and it feels new, unexplored, and inviting. 

WWW.PCGAMER.COM

It may feel familiar to Atlus fans, but the new ideas in Metaphor steal the show.

When I talk to friends about Metaphor: ReFantazio, I really try to do so without constantly mentioning Persona in the same breath. Now that I've had the opportunity to preview the game for approximately four hours, I might as well give up. Within a handful of minutes my blue-haired protagonist entered a big city for his first time, met a character who had "future best friend" written all over him, and they soon found themselves facing a powerful monster that would surely kill them both. Just in the nick of time, an otherworldly power emerged from the depths of my protagonist's soul. Guided by a mascot fairy companion who provides commentary in battles, I commanded him to cast elemental magic and vanquish it for good. The main character didn't literally scream "Persona!" but I sure was thinking it.

WWW.RPGSITE.NET

Earlier this month we had the chance to attend an extended preview event for Metaphor in New York City, and we're more excited than ever for the full game.

While previous Atlus games have toyed with the idea of time management, the entirety of Metaphor's gameplay loop revolves around an emphasized version of the system. Sure, I could take on a quest that takes me directly East from town; but if the distance is so long, it may not be worth it if there's only one point of interest relating to one objective along the way. If even using the gauntlet runner will cost me precious time that I could spend doing anything else, it's best to ensure you're truly prepared - and that you're not simply throwing good time away that could be better spent elsewhere.

To that end, there is a truly astonishing amount of side-objectives on display at any given moment. I opted to take a quest that would drive me south from a village to an ancient tomb, in search of treasure; along the way, I crossed paths with another guantlet runner, leading to an all-out brawl between myself and another competitor for the thrown. Even knowing what you want to accomplish and where sometimes isn't enough; and you'll have to consider not just what you intend to do, but perhaps what other NPCs might be doing, too.

WWW.VG247.COM

We’re probably never going to get a Delicious in Dungeon game, but Metaphor ReFantazio is doing its best to fill the culinary fantasy void

In my humble opinion, the mark of a good game is one that lets you obsess over food. If I can wander into a fantasy RPG and start salivating over the food assets, hearing the phantom voice of Anthony Bordain in my head as I go and sit with the locals in their caff of choice and chow down on some scrumptious-looking brunch, I’m going to have far more patience for the hours of grinding I’ll likely need to do to get into the meat of the experience.

Good news, then. Metaphor ReFantazio is obsessed with food. Smitten with it, maybe. In a recent demo, hosted by Sega and Atlus, I got to play the opening few hours of the game, and then another section of the game about 20 hours in (give or take). And yep, the food jumped out at me the most.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

An odd Gamescom demo detailed - Huge JRPGs from Atlus are at their slowest and most basic at the very beginning, so playing the first hour of Metaphor: ReFan...

Huge JRPGs from Atlus are at their slowest and most basic at the very beginning, so playing the first hour of Metaphor: ReFantazio at Gamescom wasn't exactly the most impressive 60 minutes we've spent with the game pre-release. Full of tutorials and cutscenes, we wouldn't have encountered a single battle if we didn't start skipping dialogue in order to see more of the game before our time was up. Without its Persona pedigree and glowing impressions from previous expos, we would have come away from our hands on session a bit disappointed. Thankfully, that doesn't matter much because we already know it's set to be one of 2024's biggest highlights. This just wasn't the best demo for a noisy showfloor.

A mouthful in all senses, Metaphor: ReFantazio, an original IP from Studio Zero – a team made up of Persona veterans – continues to stretch the word soup of game names to its limit. But what does it mean? Well, just like part of its namesake, it’s an idea, a comparison, and an image that is designed to take your mind to unexpected places. This becomes even more clear when you actually play it, with Metaphor: ReFantazio drawing on the grotesque and off-kilter ideas of the Persona franchise and spinning them out into an all-new RPG experience.

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

The battle music in Metaphor: ReFantazio is incredible. Urgent, insistent chanting builds tension over dramatic string …

What Atlus appears to have accomplished with Metaphor, then, is not just a twist on its own oeuvre, but a twist on high fantasy RPGs as a whole. That's especially true of the visuals: the main city is an intriguing amalgam of Parisian elegance and futuristic skyscrapers, while elsewhere swords and magic mix with steampunk technologies - the walking Gauntlet Runner vehicles the party journeys in, for instance. There's a certain graininess to the visuals and it's sometimes a little busy, but there's a rustic charm too.

Fans of SMT and Persona will easily slip into Metaphor. But importantly, this is a fresh start for Atlus and new fans alike. This expansive, detailed, and complex RPG (both structurally and thematically) is incredibly ambitious. Yet even from this preview, it's clear this will set a new high bar for Atlus, and - if the final game all comes together - perhaps even the RPG genre itself.

As anyone who has played Persona will know, things can take a while to get going, and while I did reach combat in my Gamescom session, it was about 10 minutes of an hour-long hands-on. Thankfully, I can tell you that the combat seems to be just as snappy and interesting as Persona, but this opening isn’t quite as effective of a demo as we’d hoped.

We’re still excited for Metaphor: ReFantazio and are certain it will be a game that lives up to its pedigree – but just don’t expect the first hour to be full of fast-paced action. 

With this being the team’s first real foray into something of Metaphor’s magnitude, it already feels impressive from the glance I got at the result, while the few side quests I dabbled with teased me with promises of the game’s larger world and its mysteries to uncover. Since the game's first concept art was revealed all those years ago, with the crimson-haired elf in armor, I've been all-in on whatever ride Atlus wants to take me on. Everything I've experienced so far has done nothing to dull that excitement, and I have come away from my handful of hours with Metaphor with even more anticipation than I did going in. I've never been more ready to ditch my high school uniform for a suit of armor – October 11 can’t get here fast enough.

KOTAKU.COM

The newest game from the minds behind Persona has a lot to say about the futility of using fantasy as escapism

Here’s the thing, Atlus can say that Metaphor: ReFantazio has no political agenda, but this isn’t a story that materializes out of thin air from a team that is imagining a worst-case scenario. Just because it’s not about a specific political campaign or candidate doesn’t mean it isn’t making a statement about the world we live in. The belief that the world can and should be made better than it is right now is an inherently political view that extrapolates beyond a fantasy setting. The attempts to distance itself from reality when it so pointedly mirrors current global, societal unrest isn’t surprising in the current landscape of the video game industry. No company who wants their game to sell millions of copies is going to say outright that “this game is about rising up against corrupt systems and those exist in our world.”

But saying your game has things to say about the way the world is doesn’t automatically mean you’re talking about Kamala Harris and Donald Trump. Saying it’s all just hypotheticals when the game clearly unpacks the notion of the fantasy genre as idealized escapism undercuts the world the team built to examine class, political machinations, and othering. It was jarring to hear Atlus representatives’ attempts to distance Metaphor’s intriguing foundations from anything that might read as controversial. I mean, the game is literally called “Metaphor.” Sometimes you just have to let the art speak for itself, and the excellent four hours I played of Metaphor shouted over even the sanitized answers from someone trying to sell me something.

WWW.POLYGON.COM

Persona 3, 4, and 5 devs Studio Zero have a new original RPG in Metaphor: ReFantazio, which we played ahead of its October release date on PS5, Xbox, and PC.

Atlus’ new role-playing game, Metaphor: ReFantazio, strikes an impressive balance for a project of its ambition: It’s both squarely aimed at longtime fans of the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei series, but detached from the legacy of those games, making it extremely welcoming to new players.

In other words, if you’ve ever been wary about jumping in on Atlus’ brand of massive, occasionally bizarre RPGs, Metaphor: ReFantazio is a great entry point. Game director Katsura Hashino calls the upcoming game a “third pillar” franchise for Atlus, and from what I’ve played, developer Studio Zero is earning the right to boast about the prospects of its new game.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy? Metaphor: ReFantazio takes the best of Atlus to create something new in a high fantasy setting.

It’s hard to put into words everything that I feel about Metaphor in just one article, so you can bet I’ll be writing up a few others too. What you need to know is this: some elements will be familiar to those who have played Persona/SMT, but Metaphor is its own beast. It maintains Atlus’ staples of a banging soundtrack with gorgeous style and graphics, but it introduces plenty of new mechanics and features alongside some familiar elements, like a remix of your favourite song with some new trendy bop. Metaphor seems to be offering up a tantalisingly interesting narrative against a high fantasy setting, unlike anything it’s done before. I’m already hooked and I want more.

WCCFTECH.COM

Metaphor: ReFantazio is setting up to spice the Persona series formula quite a bit while offering a compelling story

In my hour with the game, I was also able to test out the game's combat system and explore one dungeon, the Northern Bord Fort, which honestly felt very straightforward and not particularly remarkable. Metaphor: ReFantazio employs the Turn Press combat system, which allows both player and enemy to obtain extra turns when hitting weaknesses, but with a new twist that gives players an advantage if they stun the enemy before entering combat by attacking them on the field. This is a great addition that does wonders for the game's pacing, even though this iteration of the Press Turn system is pretty snappy to begin with. For the rest, battles play the same as in the latest Persona and Shin Megami Tensei games: find an enemy's weakness, exploit it, and win the battle while avoiding getting one's own weaknesses exploited. I was unable to test out the Archetype system, unfortunately, as my time with the demo ended before it was properly introduced, and exactly when another feature from the Persona series got introduced: a time limit for main quests.

Evaluating a massive role-playing game like Metaphor: ReFantazio in just one hour is impossible, but my time with it during Gamescom definitely left me hungering for more. For the first time in a very long time, the formula of the Persona series is getting a much-needed shake-up, and I am very interested to see if the game will end up being something more than just Persona in a fantasy setting.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - update (08/28): hands-on previews from Gamescom