Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - Opencritic Posted

Keyser_Soze

kN8HBlV.png

So close, then they hit me with "doesn't always work" lol.

I want something as close to 100% reliable as possible, because if I ever have to redo an hours-long intro to a game with no hard save slot, I will absolutely not be redoing it, just moving on at that point!

These features are cool, but building your game better is cooler!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

So, in regards to needing a large head...

Spoiler

is there a reason we just don't drag out the baby human monster? It'd take some work, but the "human" was already able to leave the sewers. Seems dumb to not take it. Ever since starting chapter 2, I thought we'd get our big monster head from a human. Again, seems dumb.

19 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is games that are stingy with saving for no reason! Everyone game that doesn't have a good reason not to, should just have a "suspend save" if nothing else. Lemme close the game whenever I need to!

Especially for me, I like to start the intro to a game to get it out of the way, and usually continue the next day. Some games will have you sitting there for hours before you can save. 

I said the same thing earlier in this thread! Any JRPG without a quick save is doing it wrong! In 2024 there is no good reason not to be able to save whenever I want. 

that said, I noticed the auto save feature is extremely aggressive and saves EVERYWHERE. Open a chest, pick up an item, almost anything you do triggers a quick save, so at least there is that. 

15 hours ago, Biggie said:

I played more of the demo and it just isn’t my cup of tea. It didn’t grab me at all and I have no desire to return to it. Even if it were to come to the Nintendo Switch. I WANT DRAGON QUEST 

I love the game, but I’m all in on DQ3! Not sure if you played it before, but it’s fantastic. It’s just sad they released it before 1&2, because there’s some cool narrative stuff if you play it in the correct order. 

12 hours ago, Best said:

I made a good decision to play this on my deck laying in bed. At the mines now. 

I play it quite a bit on Portal. JRPG’s are great on handheld. But wasting 70$ to buy it a second time would be a no go for me.

it’s weird, I definitely have “places” where I play different games. JRPG’s are console or handheld. ARPG’s on PC. Action games on PC as much as possible. Adventure games on console. CRPG’s on PC without question. Shooters on PC. And my favourite genre, RTS, is unplayable anywhere except PC, and when Stormgate releases I will probably be glued to mine. I still play StarCraft 2 and WC2&3 regularly with friends. 

im building a new PC now. Hoping I can actually get a 5080 in February when they release. Been a while since I built a new top of the line PC. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I play it quite a bit on Portal. JRPG’s are great on handheld. But wasting 70$ to buy it a second time would be a no go for me.

it’s weird, I definitely have “places” where I play different games. JRPG’s are console or handheld. ARPG’s on PC. Action games on PC as much as possible. Adventure games on console. CRPG’s on PC without question. Shooters on PC. And my favourite genre, RTS, is unplayable anywhere except PC, and when Stormgate releases I will probably be glued to mine. I still play StarCraft 2 and WC2&3 regularly with friends. 

im building a new PC now. Hoping I can actually get a 5080 in February when they release. Been a while since I built a new top of the line PC. 

I was willing to take another $70 hit for my comfort in playing. I'm about to fire up my deck now to continue my journey. 

• Hype 1

59 minutes ago, Best said:

I was willing to take another $70 hit for my comfort in playing. I'm about to fire up my deck now to continue my journey. 

I’ve said it previously but most Atlus games are always on Nintendo consoles and it’s so strange it’s left off the Switch. I’d play it if it were. 

33 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve said it previously but most Atlus games are always on Nintendo consoles and it’s so strange it’s left off the Switch. I’d play it if it were. 

I looked it up in why it's not on Switch and the consensus is that it wouldn't run on it. Which is bullshit imo. The game is not a powerhouse visually. It's cell shaded and the Switch can run TOTK and Xenoblade Chronicles 3...

Most likely it will come out on Switch 2. 

5 minutes ago, Best said:

I looked it up in why it's not on Switch and the consensus is that it wouldn't run on it. Which is bullshit imo. The game is not a powerhouse visually. It's cell shaded and the Switch can run TOTK and Xenoblade Chronicles 3...

Most likely it will come out on Switch 2. 

There is no way that game couldn’t run on Switch 

ATLUS is still in the pick and choose what RPGs go where mode. Shin Megami Tensei V was a switch exclusive for instance. But Persona games were exclusive to Playstation for a long time. Then they figured out they could make more money if they put it in other places so now things like  Metaphor gets to be on Xbox (with some marketing promotion from Microsoft of course)

On 10/19/2024 at 5:24 PM, TheLeon said:

I’ve only played about 10 hours, but that got me through the first major dungeon, some side stuff, and made it to the second town. I’ve been pretty happy with the pacing so far. 

As for saves, I agree. The notion of having to wait until you get to a “save point” is antiquated and lame (show me the person who defends this in 2024 and I’ll show you a maniac). I do utilize the Xbox quick resume and I love that, but having the hard saves is a huge relief. 

But you can save anywhere in this game. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.. Press up on the d pad and you can save wherever

1 minute ago, eventide11 said:

But you can save anywhere in this game. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.. Press up on the d pad and you can save wherever

No you cannot save anywhere. That's what a few of us are complaining about in here.

This is what I did today playing on my deck...

1 hour ago, Best said:

Since I'm playing on my deck I just paused my game and hit the power button to shut it off while I'm charging it. 

14 hours ago, Best said:

No you cannot save anywhere. That's what a few of us are complaining about in here.

This is what I did today playing on my deck...

I've been playing it on PS5 and haven't had that issue at all. Maybe it's a deck thing idk. Debating on getting it for the deck but the demo doesn't even work after multiple download and reinstalls so I'm hesitant

54 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

I've been playing it on PS5 and haven't had that issue at all. Maybe it's a deck thing idk. Debating on getting it for the deck but the demo doesn't even work after multiple download and reinstalls so I'm hesitant

I'm quite confident that they didn't change the fact that you cannot manually save in the middle of a dungeon or any number of other places for PS5. They have those cat shrines and safe rooms for a reason. The game *does* do autosaves at various points. If you know when the last one was and are comfortable with that, that might be fine. I haven't stress tested it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, legend said:

I'm quite confident that they didn't change the fact that you cannot manually save in the middle of a dungeon or any number of other places for PS5. They have those cat shrines and safe rooms for a reason. The game *does* do autosaves at various points. If you know when the last one was and are comfortable with that, that might be fine. I haven't stress tested it.

You're still talking about Metaphor Fantazio right? I just know I was in the mining tunnel dungeon yesterday and saved there by doing that 🤷 it gave me a prompt about how to save early on and that's how I've been saving ever since. Never seen a cat shrine.. Yet..

16 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

You're still talking about Metaphor Fantazio right? I just know I was in the mining tunnel dungeon yesterday and saved there by doing that 🤷 it gave me a prompt about how to save early on and that's how I've been saving ever since. Never seen a cat shrine.. Yet..

Yes, I'm talking about Metaphor. The entry to dungeons is usually considered part of the "safe zone." Similarly time doesn't pass unless you enter the dungeon properly from this safe entry zone. I' bet that's what you're thinking about. Or alternatively, If you're early the game, it's very plausible you're in zones they're not counting as "dungeons" yet too.

Again, the dungeons are designed around safe room and cat shrine save points (very much like the Persona games). If the game let you save anywhere, there would be no need for those.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eventide11 said:

I've been playing it on PS5 and haven't had that issue at all. Maybe it's a deck thing idk.

It's save system is the same on all platforms. I was originally playing on PS5 then switched to playing on my deck for comfort.

It looks extremely good on the OLED and runs great, too. 

But yea, you can only save in safe areas like towns. While exploring areas with enemies you won’t be able to do so. 

• Halal 1

Yes, there is one spot in the mine where you can save in the mine, after the fat bastard. You can't save just anywhere. There are literal save rooms in dungeons because you can't save anywhere. This "debate" is plain ignorance.

Which is oddly relevant to what I came here to post. So, I don't know if the game is trying to actually be meaningful in it's message, but it comes across as comedy. Like, the whole racist shit has so far totally ignored the aspect of the upper crust using the differences of the poors to keep them at each other's throats. It's literal skin-deep racism. Not only that, but having the common rabble be so ignorant, and latching on to elementary school level ideals, such as free drinks, is... Well, it's not exactly unrealistic, but as the player, it makes me want to side with the evil Louis rather than anything else. Why would I want to lead a nation of racist idiots lol? Like, I wish they actually made it feel like you were in the running for king instead of a Japanese High School's Class President. I feel like the only reason the MC will win Class Prez is cuz he's the only one who is like, "I'm going to do Class Prez  things when I'm class prez." It also mostly ignores religious differences. It's there, but it hasn't been brought up that much yet as it mostly affects faceless NPCs. Religion might be the biggest factor when it comes to racism, prejudice, and discrimination. But so far, it's just "well, you have round ears instead of pointy ears".

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yes, there is one spot in the mine where you can save in the mine, after the fat bastard. You can't save just anywhere. There are literal save rooms in dungeons because you can't save anywhere. This "debate" is plain ignorance.

Which is oddly relevant to what I came here to post. So, I don't know if the game is trying to actually be meaningful in it's message, but it comes across as comedy. Like, the whole racist shit has so far totally ignored the aspect of the upper crust using the differences of the poors to keep them at each other's throats. It's literal skin-deep racism. Not only that, but having the common rabble be so ignorant, and latching on to elementary school level ideals, such as free drinks, is... Well, it's not exactly unrealistic, but as the player, it makes me want to side with the evil Louis rather than anything else. Why would I want to lead a nation of racist idiots lol? Like, I wish they actually made it feel like you were in the running for king instead of a Japanese High School's Class President. I feel like the only reason the MC will win Class Prez is cuz he's the only one who is like, "I'm going to do Class Prez  things when I'm class prez." It also mostly ignores religious differences. It's there, but it hasn't been brought up that much yet as it mostly affects faceless NPCs. Religion might be the biggest factor when it comes to racism, prejudice, and discrimination. But so far, it's just "well, you have round ears instead of pointy ears".

I mean, the ultimate plot in Persona 5 is

Spoiler

That humanity betrays the phantom thieves because they actively want to give up control of their life and welcome the villain abusing them. It's only through the phantom thieves persisting and giving them hope for something better that the common man comes around to not stabbing themselves in the eye with a spoon.

Atlus tends to have a pretty negative view of humanity by default, except with hope that they can be better.

Prior to a Trump presidency, I would have thought it was over the top. Now it think it's not pessimistic enough!

1 minute ago, legend said:

Prior to a Trump presidency, I would have thought it was over the top. Now it think it's not pessimistic enough!

I mean, I also think it's not pessimistic enough. That was kinda my point in calling it skin-deep. Like, the game can come across as childish. I am surprised by the lack of slaves and a sex industry that is all about exploiting racial division. I am surprised there is less murder and no one seems to be calling for the outright extinction of other races. Why do the Elda even exist? I know the last king was trying to make the kingdom one big melting pot, but what about before that? I am sure these things exist in-universe, but a lot of the darker topics seem to be shelved for the most basic of takes on why people hate other races.

50 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, I also think it's not pessimistic enough. That was kinda my point in calling it skin-deep. Like, the game can come across as childish. I am surprised by the lack of slaves and a sex industry that is all about exploiting racial division. I am surprised there is less murder and no one seems to be calling for the outright extinction of other races. Why do the Elda even exist? I know the last king was trying to make the kingdom one big melting pot, but what about before that? I am sure these things exist in-universe, but a lot of the darker topics seem to be shelved for the most basic of takes on why people hate other races.

I mean how much more more racist murder do you need? :p 

Spoiler

The plot for Martira is that the ruler had a hybrid child that was killed because it was a "dirty" hybrid. In her rage she kills others child to feed her "human" baby that she replaces it with and justifies by the cruelty of the world.

Meanwhile, the background of the other character they introduce, Heismay, is that his particular tribe is constantly persecuted and his son was brutally beat and left for dead. The text is:

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Heismay_Noctule

Not long ago, I, too, had a child. But I couldn't protect him. It was in a nearby village. Some paripus started a riot, and my son was caught in the middle of it. They beat him until he was barely recognizable. Even bloodied and battered, he clung to life. But his body was broken. He couldn't move. And not a single person came to his aid. He was a eugief. And to them, that's all he was. But... he was a helpless child, left to die in a pool of his own blood! By the time I finally got to him, it had been hours. It was too late. I couldn't abide it. Reality was too painful, and I ran until I was spending my nights and days in the sandworms' pit. Better to live in solitude than in the embers of hell. That was the real reason I lived in that den of beasts. I thought death would be a mercy.

1 minute ago, legend said:

I mean how much more more racist murder do you need? :p 

I want to see it, not be told about it. And like, it'd be interesting to see less important NPCs vanish due to being murdered. Like, there was a boy who shits on the Elda in the the lower quarters. I noticed that one day he was missing. Like, what if he got dragged away and killed and that's why he's missing? Or like, I wanna see "street justice" of NPCs gutting each other. Or maybe the wrong guy gets drunk in the wrong bar and he gets stabbed to death. I wanna see it at the civilian level. I want to see true despair. A lot of telling. Not a lot of seeing.

31 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I want to see it, not be told about it. And like, it'd be interesting to see less important NPCs vanish due to being murdered. Like, there was a boy who shits on the Elda in the the lower quarters. I noticed that one day he was missing. Like, what if he got dragged away and killed and that's why he's missing? Or like, I wanna see "street justice" of NPCs gutting each other. Or maybe the wrong guy gets drunk in the wrong bar and he gets stabbed to death. I wanna see it at the civilian level. I want to see true despair. A lot of telling. Not a lot of seeing.

Okay well what they explicitly show and what they narratively cover are two different things. Yes, it doesn’t show you all the grotesque things they describe. There are rating considerations.