Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - Opencritic Posted

Keyser_Soze

9 hours ago, Best said:

I downloaded Ys X: Nordics and I really like it. 

@stepee was really looking forward to this. It's got the same vibe as Lacrimosa of Dana. Very bright and colorful. 

It got me distracted from this game. 

I haven’t even looked at Y’s X yet. I hated Y’s IX. I did enjoy Y’s VIII though. 

I really need to replay Y’s 1&2 sometime. It’s been like 30+ years.

28 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I haven’t even looked at Y’s X yet. I hated Y’s IX. I did enjoy Y’s VIII though. 

I really need to replay Y’s 1&2 sometime. It’s been like 30+ years.

Ys IX was a huge step down from VIII. Even @stepee who was a huge fan thought the same. Ys X is pretty good from the little I played of the demo. It has a cool art style and it's back to being really vibrant. 

By no means am I stopping Metaphor Refantazio. I played it today but didn't really accomplish anything. 

• Halal 1

I made it to the second story dungeon yesterday. Fighting the ???? was a waste of time. I didn't care that the rewards were lame, but it doesn't even die and it comes back. I didn't fight it the second time. I don't expect the second time to be any different. What also sucks is red crystals mobs. They are harder to kill and the obstacles make it easier to hit the crystal accidentally. I'm having to reset it's health more often.

I’m halfway through the 4th dungeon. I didn’t get to play yesterday, busy getting stuff ready for winter. Tonight I’m going to try to finish this dungeon. I really feel like the relationship with 

Spoiler

Louis Is about to come to a head, and we’ll finally be in open opposition to him.

It just feels like the logical next step in the story. 

It’s not my GotY so far, that’s still Rebirth, but it’s absolutely a solid second place. 

I’m also not in a rush to beat this. There’s nothing coming that I’m interested in until Brothership and Dragon Quest 3 in November, so I can enjoy my time with this while also getting in some nightly Space Marine 2. 

I have a Warhammer The Old World grand  tournament this weekend, so today will be my last time playing until Monday. The Dawn Zharr match to war!

I'm only at the grand cathedral dungeon but I'm not happy in how slow this story is moving. I feel like the 6 hours I've played has kinda been like a huge tutorial with constant pauses with explanations on how the systems work in the game. 

I'm not as motivated to play this today because of this. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

I'm only at the grand cathedral dungeon but I'm not happy in how slow this story is moving. I feel like the 6 hours I've played has kinda been like a huge tutorial with constant pauses with explanations on how the systems work in the game. 

There's a looot more game to go. And yes, a lot of early stuff continues to introduce mechanics, because there's a loooot of them. It also picks up considerably! Really starting to get into it where I am, which I assume is right behind Bacon.

But yes, Ys X is also a ton of fun. Also kind of has a slow start but a shorter one since it's only like a 30-40 hour action game. Damn thing runs smooth as butter too!

6 minutes ago, legend said:

That's because it is. This is going to be a 80-100 hour game.

Oh I understand it's length but Persona 5 wasn't this detailed. It's not a big deal as I'm actually currently playing it right now. 

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

There's a looot more game to go. And yes, a lot of early stuff continues to introduce mechanics, because there's a loooot of them. It also picks up considerably! Really starting to get into it where I am, which I assume is right behind Bacon.

Very good to hear. 

4 minutes ago, Best said:

Oh I understand it's length but Persona 5 wasn't this detailed. It's not a big deal as I'm actually currently playing it right now. 

As someone who hated the beginning of P5 when I first played it, I beg to differ :p At one point I was getting immensely frustrated because I wanted to save and quit to have dinner but the game wouldn't stop endlessly throwing dialog and system descriptions at me. I almost signed it off for good that night.

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, legend said:

As someone who hate the beginning of P5 when I first played it, I beg to differ :p At one point I was getting immensely frustrated because I wanted to save and quit to have dinner the game wouldn't stop endless throwing dialog and system descriptions at me. I almost signed it off for good that night.

Haha my memory isn't so hot these days. I actually genuinely mean that. I'll absolutely take your word on this. 

• Halal 1

14 minutes ago, legend said:

As someone who hated the beginning of P5 when I first played it, I beg to differ :p At one point I was getting immensely frustrated because I wanted to save and quit to have dinner but the game wouldn't stop endlessly throwing dialog and system descriptions at me. I almost signed it off for good that night.

One of my biggest pet peeves is games that are stingy with saving for no reason! Everyone game that doesn't have a good reason not to, should just have a "suspend save" if nothing else. Lemme close the game whenever I need to!

Especially for me, I like to start the intro to a game to get it out of the way, and usually continue the next day. Some games will have you sitting there for hours before you can save. 

• stepee 1
  • Halal 2

21 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

One of my biggest pet peeves is games that are stingy with saving for no reason! Everyone game that doesn't have a good reason not to, should just have a "suspend save" if nothing else. Lemme close the game whenever I need to!

Especially for me, I like to start the intro to a game to get it out of the way, and usually continue the next day. Some games will have you sitting there for hours before you can save. 

Completely agree!

18 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Play it on Xbox and use quick resume. EZ

Not the same as a real save, because sometimes I might not resume the same game for multiple days, or I'll play a bunch of random smaller titles for a bit inbetween, like playing some co-op games with my daughter or wife. And Xbox quick resume only supports like 3 saves, which is neat but still wouldn't be enough.

4 hours ago, Best said:

I sometimes suspect with games like this that most of the game is finished and the prologue extended and drawn out as needed to insert more and more tutorials and exposition based on play testing feedback so you don’t feel lost when the real game kicks in. So you end up with a prologue that could have taken 2 hours getting filled up to 10. But they also want to preserve a bunch of the mystery boxes for the story so sometimes stuff just “happens” to introduce it without feeling like was part of a normal flow of the story. So you’re getting exposition and lore dumping without story and characters pop in and pop out, and mechanics keep getting layered on. 

most of the time if you can get past the rest of the game is so good you barely remember the manic and drawn out intro. 

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Play it on Xbox and use quick resume. EZ

Like Xbob, I don't like doing this. (I'm playing this on PC, but even on consoles and my deck I avoid using hardware suspends without hard saves). I absolutely use these features with a save and they're super convenient, but sometimes power goes out, or you are moving between games, or any number of other things you can't count on. I just want a real concrete save and console platforms shouldn't have to bail out game designers from adding a simple feature.

Even if it's just a suspend save, give me that please!

• True 1
  • Halal 1

On 10/18/2024 at 1:01 PM, Best said:

I'm about 8 hours in and this story is moving at a snails pace. I'm still really enjoying it but I hope things move along soon. 

5 hours ago, Best said:

I played more of the demo and it just isn’t my cup of tea. It didn’t grab me at all and I have no desire to return to it. Even if it were to come to the Nintendo Switch. I WANT DRAGON QUEST 

I’ve only played about 10 hours, but that got me through the first major dungeon, some side stuff, and made it to the second town. I’ve been pretty happy with the pacing so far. 

As for saves, I agree. The notion of having to wait until you get to a “save point” is antiquated and lame (show me the person who defends this in 2024 and I’ll show you a maniac). I do utilize the Xbox quick resume and I love that, but having the hard saves is a huge relief. 

• stepee 1

20 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I played more of the demo and it just isn’t my cup of tea. It didn’t grab me at all and I have no desire to return to it. Even if it were to come to the Nintendo Switch. I WANT DRAGON QUEST 

I played more today and had a lot of fun. I'm kinda a noob to these types of games so that is why I don't understand how they work like everyone else in this thread does. 

I'm tempted to buy this for my deck so I can play these long hours while comfortable in bed.  

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Best said:

I played more today and had a lot of fun. I'm kinda a noob to these types of games so that is why I don't understand how they work like everyone else in this thread does. 

I'm tempted to buy this for my deck so I can play these long hours while comfortable in bed.  

These game are best played in handheld in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, legend said:

Like Xbob, I don't like doing this. (I'm playing this on PC, but even on consoles and my deck I avoid using hardware suspends without hard saves). I absolutely use these features with a save and they're super convenient, but sometimes power goes out, or you are moving between games, or any number of other things you can't count on.

Power doesn't matter,  games don't matter. I've suspended games in quick resume for months and it works perfectly. The only thing that throws a wrench in the works is if the game gets patched, then the game closes down. In any case the idea behind the statement is that hard saves are far between (according to you two). So you will be making a hard save. I'm not saying play the whole game without making a hard save.

As for not having an Xbox, nobody's perfect. 🤷‍♀️

59 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Power doesn't matter,  games don't matter. I've suspended games in quick resume for months and it works perfectly. The only thing that throws a wrench in the works is if the game gets patched, then the game closes down. In any case the idea behind the statement is that hard saves are far between (according to you two). So you will be making a hard save. I'm not saying play the whole game without making a hard save.

As for not having an Xbox, nobody's perfect. 🤷‍♀️

It seems like every time I decide to trust a system like this, it fails me. Not gonna do it :p 

Oh and actually I do have an Xbox. But it's for my wife for the sole purpose for her play Fable 2 and 3.

• Halal 1