Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - Opencritic Posted

Keyser_Soze

8 hours ago, Best said:

I don't understand this stance but you're missing out on one of the best RPG's in recent years. 

I never can enjoy games like this chained to a TV. It’s okay sometimes but I really enjoy laying on the couch or bed and playing them in handheld mode. From what I’ve played of the demo it doesn’t seem like the Switch couldn’t run it and almost all ATLUS games are on the Switch. 

• stepee 1

This game is really, really great. It’s not that often I’m completely gripped by a game. The last ones I can remember before this were Rebirth and Elden Ring. I love the story so far. The job system is incredible. Combat is fun, especially bosses and when the enemy gets the initiative. There’s tons of time to explore with the calendar system, and most of all, no awful high school aesthetic and annoying characters like persona. I absolutely love the party members in this game.

I’d say the hooks  are now firmly in place. 

I’m unsure if this will end up being as impactful to me as P5 and P5R were to me. It’s not yet on that scale, but I hated P5 at first and it very slowly because one of my favorite JRPGs. As such, I’ll have to finish this to know. 

However, I can confidently say that the changes in design they’ve made have all been for the better and I hope the P6 team is paying attention. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

11 hours ago, Biggie said:

I never can enjoy games like this chained to a TV. It’s okay sometimes but I really enjoy laying on the couch or bed and playing them in handheld mode. From what I’ve played of the demo it doesn’t seem like the Switch couldn’t run it and almost all ATLUS games are on the Switch. 

I got you. Yea, this could have easily ran on the Switch so that's a shame.

Maybe it'll come to Switch 2 later on. 

Glad to read these impressions. I'm still early but I really like it. It's more of a "cleaned up" Persona game in a fantasy setting which is right up my alley!

1 hour ago, legend said:

I’d say the hooks  are now firmly in place. 

I’m unsure if this will end up being as impactful to me as P5 and P5R were to me. It’s not yet on that scale, but I hated P5 at first and it very slowly because one of my favorite JRPGs. As such, I’ll have to finish this to know. 

However, I can confidently say that the changes in design they’ve made have all been for the better and I hope the P6 team is paying attention. 

Agreed on the changes. Especially the whole party being able to Switch Archetypes. I found the system in P5 to be pretty underwhelming. In combat they mostly become boring support characters. 

One thing I don’t understand is that I don’t seem to be getting any bonding events with the 4th character. My other bonds are at 4+ for the party, but they are still at 1.

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Agreed on the changes. Especially the whole party being able to Switch Archetypes. I found the system in P5 to be pretty underwhelming. In combat they mostly become boring support characters. 

I disagree on the others being support, but it certainly affected who you took in, which might mean you weren't using someone you might want to use, simply because they didn't have the right skill set, and this changes that.

I also appreciate that some of the upgrades on the "main path" for party members also requires them leveling up a different archetype as well so that even if you play them "pure" you have to cover more bases.

19 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

One thing I don’t understand is that I don’t seem to be getting any bonding events with the 4th character. My other bonds are at 4+ for the party, but they are still at 1.

I couldn't comment there as I'm not that far yet!

14 hours ago, Biggie said:

Yeah, tbh, I’ve been playing this more on my Portal than on my TV. I agree that JRPG’s are the perfect “lazy games”. I don’t have to worry about button response being perfect, just play and enjoy it. 

I just got through the third dungeon in one day, I’m pretty powerful even though I’m only level 30. Every character has two maxed Archetypes, working on a third. My main character has 3, with a few others between 5 and 15 because of all the Archetype EXP items I get and attempting to complete Mores quests.

7 hours ago, Bacon said:

If I could only change 1 thing about this game it would be the MC's design, or at least just his outfit. I hate the white coat.

Agreed, that’s why I bought the Etrian Odyssey set, only to find out you’re only wearing it “sometimes”. 

1 hour ago, TheLeon said:

I ended up ignoring my reasons for not buying this, because I finally got to the end of the demo and I didn’t want to switch to another game. :lol:

You're confusing me. So you do enjoy the game and want to play more?

I only had a chance to play like 45 minutes today so I'm still really early. 

Just now, Best said:

There isn't a mod yet to fix that?

no, I looked

and in any case, I dislike when a characters outfit doesn't match the cutscenes

I have never used an alt outfit in games with anime cutscenes because of that. I need full immersion.

• Sicko 1