Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - Opencritic Posted

Keyser_Soze

The demo is surprisingly long, I'm at like 4 hours and not done yet.

Yes this is definitely Persona reskinned, however I'm enjoying it much more than Persona. I'm nearly 40 and the whole horny highschooler vibe of Persona games creeps me out and saps a lot of the enjoyment out of those games. So far this game has a completely different tone.

• Halal 1

Saw someone say the demo was "like 4 hours long" when it released. I clocked in at about 10-12 hours (not sure, had some idle time) and I could've stretched it out even further since there's some variance at the end on how you spend the first few bits of free time you get, which you can eat up in 5 minutes or in a couple hours. (It's Persona-ish, you know how it goes.)

Calling it Persona with a fantasy skin isn't inaccurate at all (some of the animations and camera movements even feel nearly directly lifted from Persona 5) but to me it's more like a best-of-Persona-and-SMT fantasy game. It's not quite Persona, because there's a press turn system, it's not quite SMT, because you're not recruiting or negotiating with demons, it's not quite Persona, because there's sections early on that feel like a standard JRPG's cadence in terms of cutscenes and progression, it's not quite SMT, because it has a story I'm actually paying attention to, it's not quite Persona, because everyone has the "wild card" ability, it's not quite either, because it even has stuff like front and back row ala Final Fantasy, etc.

Further, the setting and theme keeps my interest far more than most early games of Persona or SMT. In Persona, the early hours tend to be the most tedious because "stylish teen gets used to new city" is about as exciting as "man does laundry" once you've been through it a few times. SMT tends to begin a bit more interesting, but I feel like rarely gets more interesting as it goes along, whereas I feel like Persona tends to pay off more and get more engaging as you get further in.

To me, just learning about this weird, funky dark fantasy medieval world while also still slotting strangely cleanly into the "stylish teen learns new city" trope has been very entertaining. It's especially interesting because it's not at all stock standard fantasy, it's very strange in many ways, which makes it fun to learn about. I imagine I probably did clock in a bit higher than average on the demo because I read (and enjoyed) every single little codex entry I unlocked. Learning about the weird racism hierarchy, the walking house things to get across the wastelands, the odd magic system, humans and the like all was very compelling to me. I never felt like I was bored or waiting for something to happen. Stakes get raised in somewhat predictable ways, then it veers off into crazy bullshit, and I love it.

I'm glad I basically watched nothing pre-release. Not even the what-felt-like-600-year-long-video they put at the end of the demo to sell you on the game. Bitch I just played a multiple hourlong demo to completion, I don't need to be sold with spoilers! (I just looked the other way, took my headphones off and waited for the flashing lights to stop.)

So far it's been the most exciting game from Atlus in ages. I was slightly worried pre-demo as I had only seen a handful of clips out of context that looked good, but you never know with new IPs. Very glad to say I'm super into this one and can't wait for more.

Also, if playing on PC, download the nightly build of SpecialK -- the game for some reason has two different frame limiters fighting each other, along with other stupid issues (like defaulting to the last thread on Intel CPUs, which on most chips will be an extremely weak efficiency core) that really tanks the performance. Dropping that single file in the game folder improved performance to being near flawless for me, and hopefully Atlus fixes that before launch because what the fuck, two different frame limiters?!

• Thanks 3
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Also, if playing on PC, download the nightly build of SpecialK -- the game for some reason has two different frame limiters fighting each other, along with other stupid issues (like defaulting to the last thread on Intel CPUs, which on most chips will be an extremely weak efficiency core) that really tanks the performance. Dropping that single file in the game folder improved performance to being near flawless for me, and hopefully Atlus fixes that before launch because what the fuck, two different frame limiters?!

I will try this. I was extremely confused by the performance because let's face it, this is not a graphically demanding game. I had the UI selected frame limiter on in the game and decided to turn it off and things got better, but still felt off.

1 minute ago, legend said:

I will try this. I was extremely confused by the performance because let's face it, this is not a graphically demanding game. I had the UI selected frame limiter on in the game and decided to turn it off and things got better, but still felt off.

Yeah, it looks like a high-res PS3 game with some nice modern work on top of it. I think it looks great but it should be running at like 500 FPS on a mid-range PC! Was so glad that SpecialK worked as well as it did. Worked best for me in proper fullscreen mode, whichever mode you use you have to disable the in-game frame limiter so it'll turn off both and swap to SpecialK's, which is the best in the biz as far as I know.

• stepee 1

Damn 12 hours? I stopped at 5 and thought I HAD to be near the end. I was expecting 2 max.

Really has me wondering exactly how long the game is? Most games like this tap out around 60-70hours + an addition 20-30 for sidequests/end game. I know P5 was longer but that's an exception even for Atlus.

This year I didn’t think anything would come close to Rebirth for me, but already this world is challenging that assumption. Not saying I’ll prefer this, but it has that possibility.

I generally dislike the whole setting of Persona, but like the story and dungeons, but this is already so much more interesting than Persona to me. 

10 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Damn 12 hours? I stopped at 5 and thought I HAD to be near the end. I was expecting 2 max.

Really has me wondering exactly how long the game is? Most games like this tap out around 60-70hours + an addition 20-30 for sidequests/end game. I know P5 was longer but that's an exception even for Atlus.

Not sure if it will be the same, but Persona 5 Royal is over a hundred hours and I think my vanilla playthrough was around 100.

Just finished the demo. (A little annoyed, because they seem to stop you on a day, rather than story progress and it's possible I could have eeked out a bit further in the dungeon but decided to return to heal up rather than do a big fight with no mana and then it ended)

After watching their demo reel at the end, I feel like it raises the odds the universe is directly connected to persona even more. It could just be fan service but...

Spoiler

At one point, the MC yells "Persona master!" and then later they show Jack Frost.

15 hours ago, legend said:

Just finished the demo. (A little annoyed, because they seem to stop you on a day, rather than story progress and it's possible I could have eeked out a bit further in the dungeon but decided to return to heal up rather than do a big fight with no mana and then it ended)

After watching their demo reel at the end, I feel like it raises the odds the universe is directly connected to persona even more. It could just be fan service but...

Hide contents

At one point, the MC yells "Persona master!" and then later they show Jack Frost.

I had the exact same problem. I thought I would be able to go to the last day, so I started doing some quests, and it cut me off with 8 days to go. 

But I bought the game as soon as the demo ended. I really, really enjoyed the game.

I’m not really a graphics guy, but I was shocked how fuzzy some of the backgrounds are, especially considering the graphics and cell shaded art style. It shouldn’t be that demanding. The art style really is beautiful though, and I really enjoy the characters (which is a big change from Persona).

Im really looking forward to getting deeper into the persona system. I may replay the demo and see if I can beat the dragon I avoided the first time. 

The worst part is now the two week wait to play the full game. I’m so glad they took the persona framework and put it in a setting I actually enjoy. While some of the Persona stories are excellent, I really can’t get into the world or characters. Also, apparently the game has no weird dating system, which is another great choice. If there is romance, I prefer it’s chosen by the writers and told through the story. 

I really wish they had let us finish out the time we had to complete the dungeon, instead of just stopping us suddenly. 

• stepee 1

I played the demo for a couple of hours. Not sure how I feel. Yesterday I also played the demo for FFXVI on PC. Different stories, but similarities in the beginnings where both games a cutscene and dialog heavy, press forward, cut scene and dialog heavy, press forward, cut scene and dialog heavy, repeat, repeat, press x, cutscene and dialog. It’s fine, I guess. 

but Metaphor feels like a game that is 2-3 generations old. I like the hand drawn art, but not much else. Metaphor feels like a dated PS2 era JRPG that has recently been remastered. Even the UI takes up so much space as if they’re trying to hide that the game was once 4:3. And the clunky, heavy handed way the story is being introduced to me feels a bit jarring. 

I will probably play more as stopped just outside of the cave after meeting the scholar/seeker guy and killing a some wolves and birds. So I know am not that far in. I don’t hate the game so far but I am not feeling enthralled by the world or narrative yet. 

I do also like the music and voice acting so far. 

7 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I played the demo for a couple of hours. Not sure how I feel. Yesterday I also played the demo for FFXVI on PC. Different stories, but similarities in the beginnings where both games a cutscene and dialog heavy, press forward, cut scene and dialog heavy, press forward, cut scene and dialog heavy, repeat, repeat, press x, cutscene and dialog. It’s fine, I guess. 

but Metaphor feels like a game that is 2-3 generations old. I like the hand drawn art, but not much else. Metaphor feels like a dated PS2 era JRPG that has recently been remastered. Even the UI takes up so much space as if they’re trying to hide that the game was once 4:3. And the clunky, heavy handed way the story is being introduced to me feels a bit jarring. 

I will probably play more as stopped just outside of the cave after meeting the scholar/seeker guy and killing a some wolves and birds. So I know am not that far in. I don’t hate the game so far but I am not feeling enthralled by the world or narrative yet. 

It steals a lot from persona, and personas look and UI really hasn’t changed in a very long time. 

I personally only really started to click with the story when I got back to the city for the funeral. Everything else is stuff I enjoy about Persona, and none of the stuff I hate (high school setting, going to school every day, etc). I absolutely despise 

but yeah, if you don’t like the systems and look of Persona, you probably won’t like this. 

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

The engine technology is 100% dated. They pretty much just reused the Persona 5 engine and did nothing new with it, and Persona 5 was originally released on both PS3 and PS4. (Similarly, this game is also on PS4).

Setting that aside though, did you ever play Persona 5? I kind of hated it when I first started it for similar reasons (way too cutscene heavy at the beginning and I wasn't enjoying what was there) but it slowly grew on me until by the end it was one of my favorite JRPGs. As mentioned, this game is pretty much "Persona: Fantasy edition" so it will probably follow a similar style and you may find then you end up really liking it by the end.  But you would have to commit a non-trivial number of hours to find out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

Setting that aside though, did you ever play Persona 5? I kind of hated it when I first started it for similar reasons (way too cutscene heavy at the beginning and I wasn't enjoying what was there) but it slowly grew on me until by the end it was one of my favorite JRPGs. As mentioned, this game is pretty much "Persona: Fantasy edition" so it will probably follow a similar style and you may find then you end up really liking it by the end.  But you would have to commit a non-trivial number of hours to find out.

I have not played any of the Persona games. Yeah I assume that means some people started the game and immediately felt like being wrapped in a familiar comfy blanket. I don’t have the existing reverence for the style. I don’t hate it, but I don’t love it yet. 

• Halal 1

21 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

when I first fell down into the canyon? 

I tried fighting twice and died very quickly. So my third time I just ran. 

Huh. I fought and was surprised that I won! Some decent loot for doing so.

Big demo patch today! Removed SpecialK completely, and the performance is perfect! Absolutely smooth, flat frametimes at a locked 120 FPS. Even better than with SpecialK, which still had small hiccups on rare occasions in certain spots, likely due to some stuff it couldn't fix from Kaldaien's end.

Biggest performance boost I've ever seen in a single patch to be honest!

3 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Big demo patch today! Removed SpecialK completely, and the performance is perfect! Absolutely smooth, flat frametimes at a locked 120 FPS. Even better than with SpecialK, which still had small hiccups on rare occasions in certain spots, likely due to some stuff it couldn't fix from Kaldaien's end.

Biggest performance boost I've ever seen in a single patch to be honest!

They had an early patch that removed all the jarring issues too. But this may have taken it further.

Game Information

Game Title: Metaphor: ReFantazio

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Oct 11, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Oct 11, 2024)
  • PC (Oct 11, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Oct 11, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Oct 11, 2024)

Developer: ATLUS

Publisher: SEGA

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 92 average - 99% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Areajugones - Claudio Torres - Spanish - 10 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio draws a lot from what it learned from Persona 5, and that can only be good. It is one more evolution of the JRPG genre both in terms of gameplay and art, a game that once again sets the tone within this style, and as if that were not enough, manages to trap the player and immerse him in its universe with great ease thanks to its excellently well-written characters and a plot that hooks you from minute one.

Checkpoint Gaming - Charlie Kelly - 10 / 10

I've always wanted Atlus to tackle political fantasy as a genre and of course when they finally do it with Metaphor: ReFantazio it's one of the best RPGs in years. This is the result of 20 years of incredible game craft that has taken shape in the best and most refined version of the Persona and Shin Megami Tensei formula that we've ever received. Probably the best we'll ever get. This is their magnum opus. With immensely satisfying and tactile turn-based combat, and a memorable cast of characters including the alluring and ever-intimidating villain Count Louis, you'll be taken by the world and story to explore within Euchronia. Much like the protagonist, you'll be compelled to save its people. Metaphor: ReFantazio is a crowning achievement under Atlus' long-running and award-winning belt. You should join them on the throne. The view is beautiful from up here.

Dexerto - Anyka Pettigrew - 5 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio is the ultimate culmination of everything Atlus has learned from its best games and is a huge step forward for the future of its JRPGs.

The delightful combat, incredible cast of characters, and intricate fantasy setting all make for a brilliant experience that no Shin Megami Tensei or Persona fan should miss out on. It’s certainly a game-of-the-year-worthy title and a smash hit for Atlus to end the year with.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 5 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio is gorgeous, looking every bit as great as Persona 5, with the same ultra-slick presentational and a cracking good score. And, just like Persona 5 you’re also looking at a truly lengthy experience – anyone who finishes it with their play clock in two digits has played through it quickly.

Eurogamer - Ed Nightingale - 5 / 5

Persona veteran Atlus flexes its expertise with a fresh take on high fantasy. What it lacks in subtlety, it makes up for in grandeur and heart.

Eurogamer.pt - Bruno Galvão - Portuguese - 5 / 5

Persona's design has been adapted into a truly mesmerizing medieval fantasy that you won't want to put down. Drama, politics, social intrigue and much more mark out a game whose characters, art, plot, combat, systems and music win you over.

Game Rant - Matt Karoglou - 10 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio leverages its Persona influence along with more classic RPG inspiration to deliver an unmissable role-playing experience.

GameSpot - Jess Cogswell - 10 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio combines Atlus' skill in crafting emotionally charged RPGs with brilliant plot twists, a keen sense of adventure, and fantastical idealism to create one of its greatest games yet.

GamingTrend - Jack Zustiak - 100 / 100

Overall, Metaphor plays like a dream from start to finish. There's less downtime than Persona and fewer frustrating moments than Shin Megami Tensei, with the whole game feeling like a high-stakes road trip with your best friends. The road to the throne is a tough one, but it's one well worth walking.

Infinite Start - 10 / 10

In so many ways Metaphor: ReFantazio brings the Persona formula to the next level. By blending a captivating narrative, deep characters that grabs players without letting go. This is furthered thanks to the Archetype, and Synergy systems, which add some much needed strategy. In addition to that, it's a Visually stunning experience that offers beautifully designed environments, and a stellar soundtrack. All of this makes for an amazing experience that RPG fans absolutely must experience.

Kakuchopurei - Alleef Ashaari - 100 / 100

In a year filled with already great JRPGs like Persona 3 Reload, Visions Of Mana, and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Metaphor: ReFantazio still manages to stand out and be a masterful game worthy of the highest praise. This is a clear GOTY candidate for 2024 and it's also perhaps what I could even arguably be Atlus' magnum opus to date.

Quest Daily - Shaun Fullard - 10 / 10

I’m not going to beat around the bush, Metaphor: ReFantazio is my game of the year. Atlus and Studio Zero have taken the best bits of the Persona series and somehow made them work within a medieval fantasy setting. But it’s no mere Persona 'holiday special'. The new IP enhances and evolves the formula, becoming a shining example of how to do JRPGs right. When it comes to my games, I value story and character above all else, and Metaphor delivers that in spades.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 10 / 10

Quote not yet avaMetaphor: ReFantazio is, in the simplest of terms, a Persona game in a fantasy setting. While it would have been exciting to see a few more risks taken to separate itself from that beloved franchise, I can’t deny how thoroughly enjoyable this game is.

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 10 / 10

Metaphor ReFantazio sets out to blend the best of its predecessors’ gameplay with an all-new setting, and the result is far greater than the sum of its parts.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 10 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a thrilling JRPG with a unique story and the typical engaging gameplay elements that Atlus is known for. The combat is challenging, featuring the press turn battle with a new risk-reward system adding depth to the classic turn-based formula. While the game shares some similarities with the Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series, such as social stats and character bonds, it carves its own path with a captivating narrative and stunning world. The excellent voice acting, music, and visuals further enhance the experience, making it a must-play for JRPG fans.

The Nerd Stash - Julio La Pine - 10 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a once-in-a-lifetime RPG. Despite how stacked the genre is, it goes out of its way to innovate it while keeping the familiar feel. Even if you've never played a game as lengthy as this one, you'll surely find yourself immersed in this intricate fantasy world.

TheGamer - Meg Pelliccio - 5 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a new peak for Atlus. It takes so much of what was great about Persona, refines it, and throws that powder into an exciting fantasy setting with incredible lore, well-developed characters, and a fresh new battle system.

Twinfinite - Keenan McCall - 5 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio is everything one could want from a new entry into the RPG genre. It uses what came before it masterfully, and its few shortcomings aren't nearly enough to derail what is otherwise a masterclass in the genre. Give it a look if you love Atlus RPGs, or if you love the RPG genre in general.

VG247 - Dom Peppiatt - 5 / 5

Every individual strand weaves together to form something utterly exceptional in Metaphor. It may well be Atlus’ masterpiece; well-presented, well-realised, and totally unashamed to be a big, silly, fantastical piece of role-playing genius.

VGC - Jordan Middler - 5 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio could have so easily been Persona with the names filed off, but it's so, so much more than that. It matches fun, expansive combat with an excellent cast of characters that make the near 100-hour journey an unforgettable one.

NoesPaisparaFrikis - Oscar Garcia Mompean - Spanish - 9.9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is an ode to fantasy, to imagination, a game full of metalanguage, with a story and fascinating characters within a world as complex as it is wonderful. There are no words to define the magnitude of this game and the perfection with which each and every one of the systems that compose it work and behave with each other and with the player. It is a declaration of intentions, it is a slap in the face with an open hand to all those who think that evolving is breaking with the past and it is once again the benchmark against which the next games of the genre will have to be measured.

RPG Fan - Zek Lu - 98%

This is Atlus's magnum opus; a truly epic fantasy adventure that excels in every conceivable aspect.

Gamer Guides - Ben Chard - 97 / 100

At the end of its massive runtime, Metaphor: ReFantazio never suffers from pacing issues and tells a captivating story that stirs your imagination. With fantastic additions to the familiar Press Turn battle system and one of my favorite casts in a long time, this is one fantasy you won’t want to miss.

The Games Machine - Danilo Dellafrana - Italian - 9.6 / 10

surprising narrative that has no problem touching on even rather delicate themes is the basis for creating an essential adventure for every lover of Japanese role-playing games. Metaphor ReFantazio is a sort of wild card that excels in every category.

Atomix - Sebastian Quiroz - Spanish - 95 / 100

There's no doubt about it, Metaphor: ReFantazio is one of the best games of the year. Atlus and Studio Zero have given us an experience that no one can miss. With more than 20 years working in this company, Katsura Hashino and her team have shown that they still have a lot to give us, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning of a new saga that, over time, will be as important and acclaimed as Persona and Shin Megami Tensei are.

But Why Tho? - Jesse Vitelli - 9.5 / 10

Metaphor: Refantazio is the culmination of everything that came before it. It’s a mixture of Atlus’ RPG track record crafted into something bold and new. It takes stock of the fictional stories Atlus has told in the past and how people have resonated with them for years.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 9.5 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is the almost perfect evolution of the studio's earlier games. It takes everything familiar from the genre to an incredibly high level of quality, surprises with its story and direction and impresses throughout with its presentation and accompanying soundtrack. The loop of great battles and the motivating calendar system will eat up your free time in an instant.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9.5 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a stellar role-playing game and one of the best to be released this generation. Atlus’ latest foray into fantasy provides familiar trappings for Persona fans while changing the formula up enough for it to fully be its own thing.

Enternity.gr - Christos Chatzisavvas - Greek - 9.5 / 10

Offering an ever-evolving combat system that rewards experimentation, along with a goal-focused plot and parallel activities that don't alter the mix, Studio Zero's first major title is a real gem at its peak.

God is a Geek - Lyle Pendle - 9.5 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is another landmark game from the Persona team, with top tier combat and a gripping story that I couldn't stop playing.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 95 / 100

Nowadays, it seems like a fantasy thing for a JRPG to recover the magic and spirit of yesteryear: to live an unforgettable journey through a new world, with a story to remember, memorable characters and turn-based combats that keep us glued to the screen for hundreds of hours. But Metaphor is no fantasy; it is pure reality.

PC Gamer - Lewis Parker - 95 / 100

A beautiful, 100-hour-long journey from beginning to end, Metaphor: ReFantazio takes the best elements of Persona 5 and somehow improves on them.

PPE.pl - Wojciech Gruszczyk - Polish - 9.5 / 10

A new world built on familiar foundations. Metaphor: ReFantazio does not revolutionize the genre, but encourages more players to the systems and mechanics offered by the developers of Persona.

PSX Brasil - Thiago de Alencar Moura - Portuguese - 95 / 100

Metaphor: ReFantazio is an excellent JRPG with exceptional storytelling, combat, and atmosphere, enhanced by one of the most exquisite graphical styles and soundtracks ever seen. Excellent in every little detail, it is further proof that, when it is at its best, Atlus is incomparable.

TechRaptor - Andrew Stretch - 9.5 / 10

Atlus has leveled up the Persona formula in every way. The world-spanning adventure of Metaphor: ReFantazio offers a diverse world to explore, deep and relatable stories to share with your party, an incredible combat system with unlimited possibilities of Archetype powers, and plenty of quality of life improvements to make sure you're spending more time playing the game and not wondering what to do next.

XboxEra - Genghis Husameddin - 9.5 / 10

Metaphor’s world design is almost dreamlike, down to the very storybook of irony that Will carries around with him all the time. The cast bonds together incredibly well and I love how everyone has a part to play in this fantasy land of pixies, a race for the throne, dog and box-headed races, and the like. The artwork is gorgeous, the music is splendid. Mixed in is a simple yet fun combat system, complete with unique overworld encounters in the dungeons and out about in towns. I’ve no metaphors for this—Metaphor: ReFantazio is a fantastic RPG for all. ∎

Mashable - Alex Perry - 4.6 / 5

Its endearing cast of characters populate a fascinating fantasy world with fictional layers that I just want to peel back until I see everything there is to see. Enhanced turn-based combat with real-time elements, combined with wholesome friendship mechanics and great road trip vibes, all work to seal the deal for me.

CGMagazine - Justin Wood - 9 / 10

Metaphor: Refantazio is a masterfully crafted JRPG that combines political intrigue, rich storytelling, and strategic combat into a gripping and emotional experience. While the pacing can occasionally falter, and some areas may feel visually repetitive, the game’s strengths far outweigh its shortcomings.

Console Creatures - Matt Sowinski - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a fantastic experience, built on the foundation set by Persona but becoming something all of its own. The story is great, the characters are interesting, and a brand-new combat system delivers one of the most exciting games this year.

DualShockers - Callum Marshall - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a masterfully crafted JRPG that seamlessly takes all that was excellent about the Persona series and weaves a fantasy tale like no other. It's a tale with layers and levels that is wonderfully paced, offering a wealth of familiar mechanics and systems.

GINX TV - Shreyansh Katsura - 9 / 10

Metaphor ReFantazio feels like Atlus' Final Fantasy 7 moment. It's an evocative, empowering, near-perfect JRPG which people will be talking about for years to come.

GameBlast - Farley Santos - Portuguese - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio combines tactical combat, social interactions, and exploration into a rich experience set in a unique fantasy world. The flexibility provided by the Archetype system encourages the creation of varied strategies, while the progression structured in days adds a layer of planning that enriches the journey. With so many options for activities, from side quests to moments of socializing, it is difficult to have two days the same. However, there are some limitations, such as the repetition of activities and the lack of creativity in some optional dungeons, making the experience tiring at times. In addition, the inconsistent graphic quality and the drop in performance are points that weaken the immersion. In the end, with an extensive campaign and a competent localization, Metaphor: ReFantazio offers a robust and memorable RPG. The title does not revolutionize the studio's formula, but it is still an immersive and engaging experience.

IGN - Michael Higham - 9 / 10

Refining the Atlus RPG formula of weaving tough turn-based combat into compelling social sim mechanics, Metaphor: ReFantazio doesn’t just send a powerful message across its political drama, it becomes a beautiful expression of the real impact storytelling can have on all of us.

IGN Spain - Esteban Canle - Spanish - 9 / 10

Metaphor ReFantazio iterates on series like Persona and Shin Megami Tensei but strives to create something unique and can find its direction in gameplay and narrative. It's a refreshing experience for those familiar with Atlus' RPGs while also creating something accessible enough for those approaching them for the first time.

LevelUp - Fernando Salinas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is Atlus' new bet to bring us a high quality JRPG. Their experience with the Persona saga is poured into this fantasy world that captures you with its great story. Its political and philosophical load, excellent art direction and simple but deep gameplay mechanics make it one of the best exponents of the genre of the last decade.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio demonstrates that the Persona system remains vibrant and versatile, extending beyond an urban high school setting. Its high fantasy environment significantly transforms the gameplay, and Studio Zero delivers a refreshing take on the popular formula. This new approach offers a breath of fresh air for Persona players seeking something different yet familiar and addictive. You could say it’s basically fantasy Persona, but that doesn’t even encompass half of what Metaphor really is.

Metaphor: ReFantazio stands out as one of the best RPGs of the year, thanks to its unique concept and addictive gameplay, and something that cannot be missed if you love RPGs and fantastical settings. Let Studio Zero guide you into a world of conspiracies, mysteries, and wonder as you journey through this fantastic realm with new protagonists and a new story, all wrapped in the same quality trappings of an Atlus title.

PCGamesN - Aaron Down - 9 / 10

Metaphor ReFantazio is the culmination of everything that makes Atlus' turn-based RPGs so special. Sporting a fantastic cast of instantly lovable characters, a gripping tale that will take you on an emotional rollercoaster, and a robust evolution of its combat systems, Metaphor ReFantazio is a must-play for anyone with even a passing interest in JRPGs.

Press Start - Harry Kalogirou - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is another banger RPG from ATLUS. It doesn't reinvent the wheel that Shin Megami Tensei and Persona have established as the studios bread and butter, but it iterates on them in unique ways with an undeniably fresh setting. It's hard not to applaud ATLUS for embracing something so tonally different from what they're known for nowadays.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is one of the most memorable RPGs we've played in years. In pursuing a new property, complete with a fantasy setting, Atlus has allowed its creativity to blossom, resulting in a brilliantly rich experience - both in terms of narrative and audiovisual design. While Metaphor takes obvious gameplay and structural cues from the developer's previous projects, it combines and refines those elements to make an epic, kingdom-hopping adventure that feels unique and deeply fulfilling.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

Metaphor ReFantazio refined the formula Atlus founded with the Persona games and created one of the best RPG games in history by doing so. It indeed won the race for king of the turn-based RPGs

The Outerhaven Productions - Jordan Andow - 4.5 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio is one of the best turn-based JRPGs I've played in quite some time. It’s a fantastic game, featuring breathtaking visuals and incredible sound—kudos to Atlus for that. However, I do wish the game had better pacing and a more seamless world structure.

TheSixthAxis - Nic Bunce - 9 / 10

Metaphor ReFantazio is sublime. Persona fans will have an absolute blast playing this, and hunting out the subtle (and not-so-subtle) nods to its franchise cousin. A couple of minor annoyances make it feel a little rough around the edges hold it back from an otherwise perfect score.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Marco Patrizi - Italian - 9 / 10

The only aspect that might disappoint you about this debut work from the team led by Katsura Hashino is that it doesn't take enough risks and doesn’t bring a true novelty to Atlus' lineup. At the same time, considering Metaphor: ReFantazio as merely a fantasy reskin of Persona 5 would be equally simplistic and unfair. In an era where far too many studios tend to chase trends at the expense of guaranteed quality, the distinctive authorial touch and the attention to detail from Studio Zero, both in terms of art and game design, are certainly something to be praised. Whether you’re a fan of Persona or new to Atlus titles, you’ll find Metaphor: ReFantazio to be a high-quality JRPG with exceptional depth

Video Chums - Mary Billington - 9 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a more mature take on RPGs that delivers something quite different while maintaining enjoyable and somewhat familiar gameplay. Plus, mastering archetypes, exploring dungeons, and fighting for the crown is handled with perfect pacing.

Wccftech - Kai Tatsumoto - 9 / 10

No matter how much I engaged with the core fundamentals of Metaphor: ReFantazio, I couldn’t escape the feeling that this was largely Persona 6 by another name rather than some new IP that could stand on its own merits.

WellPlayed - Nathan Hennessy - 9 / 10

If you can only play one turn-based fantasy roleplaying game this year, let it be this one. Swords and sorcery Persona is a marvellously executed pitch.

GamePro - Jonas Herrmann - German - 89 / 100

An excellent role-playing game with fantastic stories and a large scope, but which technically has room for improvement.

Gamersky - Chinese - 8.8 / 10

Building upon the concepts of Persona and Shin Megami Tensei, and refining them further, Metaphor: ReFantazio delivers a highly satisfying experience. In terms of story, it offers excellent character development, while its gameplay system introduces a wide range of class combinations, adding depth to the mechanics.

That said, the overall story quality of Metaphor is not particularly groundbreaking, and it feels more like a refined take on traditional dungeon-crawling RPGs rather than an innovative or revolutionary creation.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.8 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a bold new IP from Studio Zero and Atlus, and one of the best at that. Familiar yet innovative, mature but not without moments of levity, with a slew of very functional new systems, this is one of the best JRPGS of the last years and surely GOTY material for this one.

Everyeye.it - Antonello Bello - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio has undoubtedly carved out a place among the best proposals of ATLUS, which this time has finally found the courage to get out of its usual schemes and to propose something vaguely different, especially as regards the setting and narrative structure.

Gamers Heroes - Blaine Smith - 85 / 100

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a deep, stylish, and rewarding adventure, but it’s not for the faint of heart.

IGN Italy - Alessandra Borgonovo - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Metaphor: ReFantazio is a narrative-engaged RPG with a familiar and well-structured DNA. A few flaws here and there don't undermine its solid foundations.

GAMES.CH - Benjamin Braun - German - 83%

Quote not yet available

COGconnected - Nicola Kapron - 82 / 100

Metaphor: ReFantazio brings democracy crashing into a classic fantasy plot in what I can only call “high fantasy Persona.”

Daily Mirror - Aaron Potter - 4 / 5

Metaphor: ReFantazio presents a few nips and tucks to a template true JRPG fans will recognize without ever losing the essence of what made its predecessors so enthralling in the first place. And true, while there are some areas where it would have been nice to see it stray further away from aspects that both Persona and Shin Megami Tensei popularised, it’s hard to complain when said titles are considered some of the best JRPGs ever made.

Digital Trends - George Yang - 4 / 5

In many ways, Metaphor: ReFantazio feels like the next mainline entry in the Persona series in all but name. In others, it carves out an identity all its own. The strategic turn-based combat system is just as satisfying as ever, while Archetypes and globe-trotting put a new perspective on an otherwise familiar experience. I could see the plot twists coming a mile away, but the endearing cast of characters made the journey worthwhile. It’s not perfect, but Atlus has earned my vote of confidence. Consider me a follower.

Siliconera - Stephanie Liu - 8 / 10

A fantastical adventure full of themes that can apply to the real world. While its takes are hit or miss, the smooth battle system and charming characters more than make up for the story issues in this epic tale.

Digital Spy - Jess Lee - 3.5 / 5

Metaphor borrows defining features of Persona yet executes these ideas in a less meaningful way, and in taking much from the beloved series, it takes a long time for Atlus' latest to carve out its own identity.

Player2.net.au - A or higher

Metaphor: ReFantazio is amazing, that’s really all there is to it in my eyes. It deftly and expertly brings in elements from SMT’s main titles and spin-offs and turns them into something new and wonderful.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Ed Thorn - Unscored

A wonderful RPG that builds on many of Persona's foundations, with a strong sense of exploration and a lovely suite of pals. But its heavy combat focus may mean it remains in the memory less than its high school predecessors.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Metaphor: ReFantazio | new fantasy RPG from Atlus | October 10, 2024 - Opencritic Posted