Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update (09/05): Mask of Darkness DLC teaser trailer and blog post (09/17 release)

It’s too bad as it’s a fantastic game but yeah..I don’t know what they were thinking with the price. It’ll sell more in time as the price goes down to what people are willing to pay for this type of game, but now they will probably not go back to this type for awhile. I think for this sort of thing in particular not launching on Steam hurts too.

It doesn’t mean the game isn’t worth $50, I think it is. A good game is a good game. And it’s actually pretty long for one of these. But fair or not people have their expectations on pricing for certain game types and this, like Sonic Superstars which also undersold due to a high price for a side scrolling platformer, and you just have to match that expectation usually.

Interesting bug on pc on this one. There is a point half wayish through where you receive a certain key from an enemy. As soon as you pick it up, the games performance tanks. If it does this and how much will depend on your cpu, but on the Steam deck this took me to from a solid 90fps to 60fps with drops.

But there is a fix! Turns out if you go and open every door around the area that the key opens (around 6 or so) then you start clawing back performance until it’s all back to normal when you finish unlocking them all. Might be fine after 4 or so but I wanted to make sure there weren’t issues later. 

So, I guess the game is hammering the cpu constantly confirming that you can open these doors now until you open them and it stops running the check?

Very strange. First time I can think of where I had to do a specific objective in a game to gain performance back. Maybe some game could use it as a souls-like mechanic where your performance goes down after you die and the game chugs until you restore your soul!

To be fair, there's an entire generation of gamers that have never played a Prince of Persia, and don't have any nostalgia to fall back on.

The ones that are old enough to remember are stingy old farts like me. And Ubisoft is infamous for putting shit on sale for like, 40% off within months of release.

• 3 weeks later...
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

The game’s first big update is “coming soon”…

Ubisoft Montpellier has said that Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown will receive new content and modes via a series of free updates.

In a video message posted on X, Lost Crown director Mounir Radi thanked fans for their reception to the game following its release last month.

“Thank you for all the love. It means the world to us seeing you enjoy your time with the game just as much as we do, which is why, I’m especially pleased to let you know that we are far from being done,” he said.

“We’ve got some cool plans for the coming months. These plans include free updates adding more content and modes. Modes for you to challenge, explore, and enjoy.

“Our first free update is coming soon,” he continued. “In the meantime, I would recommend you train with Artaban. And maybe try to beat the game in Immortals mode. These skills could come in very handy.”

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update: free updates to provide new content/modes
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update: post-launch roadmap announced, including new story DLC "later" in 2024
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update: "Boss Attack Update" trailer (released today for free)
39 minutes ago, legend said:

God I still need to get this! I think it keeps drifting out of mind because it's not on Steam.

It’s was $20 on Ubistore recently. I picked it up. Yet to start it 

• stepee 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update (06/13): "Story DLC Teaser" and Steam release (August 8) trailers
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update (08/08): Steam release live with 40% launch discount
50 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The game has been released on Steam with a 40% launch discount.

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Dash into a stylish and thrilling action-adventure platformer set in a mythological Persian world where the boundaries of time and space are yours to manipulate.

Now we're talking.

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Playing through the prologue on SD.  Runs great.  I am surprised its not officially "Verified", given the promotion Ubi socials was doing for it on deck.  Runs fine though.

GTAV isn't verified and runs extremely well on my deck. 

1 hour ago, Best said:

GTAV isn't verified and runs extremely well on my deck. 

I was expecting it to run well given what they posted on their socials. I was more surprised it wasn’t verified. Seems like it’s something a publisher would do for the extra sales. 

I never even checked to see if it was verified before I bought it. 

14 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, this is actually pretty good.  Much better than the demo.

I think the traversal/exploration is much better than the combat.  But, YMMV.

It’s quite good, I think the only reason I dropped it was dealing with the ubi version on steam deck. I’m about half way through I think so hopefully some day I get double jump.

edit: I got it also in the bundle that includes the early access rogue one also with the 40% off and I’m curious to try that 

• stepee 2

• 3 weeks later...

PSA:  Ubisoft has turned off automatic cloud save syncing on this (at least on PC).

In the start menu, when you start your game, there is an option to either upload or download a save to the cloud.  If you don't do this, your save will only be saved locally.

I started this yesterday. It's pretty good! The combat is deeper than I expected. Not a wildly hard game on normal mode, but they have a lot of modifiers you play with if you want to make it harder like making the parry window smaller.

NEWS.UBISOFT.COM

Get ready to face all-new traps, enemies, and puzzles in the dark and deadly Mind Palace of the Immortal Radjen on Sept. 17.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown's tale of monsters, mythology, and Immortals left one conspicuous thread unresolved: the fate of the mysterious masked Immortal, Radjen. When the Mask of Darkness DLC launches on September 17, players can discover a new chapter of Sargon's story as they confront the myriad dangers of Radjen's Mind Palace. But the new DLC is much more than a story expansion, opening up a whole new biome filled with fresh traversal elements, traps, enemies, and more. To give you a taste of what's ahead, here are the four biggest things to watch out for:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (PlayStation/Xbox/PC/Switch) - update (09/05): Mask of Darkness DLC teaser trailer and blog post (09/17 release)
1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

NEWS.UBISOFT.COM

Get ready to face all-new traps, enemies, and puzzles in the dark and deadly Mind Palace of the Immortal Radjen on Sept. 17.

Nice. I'm probably about 60% through the main game now and am enjoying it a lot. I have one gripe which is some of the optional trap challenges make me want to pull my remaining hair out. Not because they're challenging per se, but because they last for like 3.5 minutes, you have to do them perfectly, but you often can't just react correctly. You really need to die to see how it will unfold next which means you have to repeat the same shit over and over.

The main quest is really good though, as is most of the optional stuff. There are just a couple of optional ones so far where I really wish I didn't even start them. It was insult to injury that in the most annoying one, all I got for my efforts was a cosmetic I didn't care for :p 

9 hours ago, legend said:

Nice. I'm probably about 60% through the main game now and am enjoying it a lot. I have one gripe which is some of the optional trap challenges make me want to pull my remaining hair out. Not because they're challenging per se, but because they last for like 3.5 minutes, you have to do them perfectly, but you often can't just react correctly. You really need to die to see how it will unfold next which means you have to repeat the same shit over and over.

The main quest is really good though, as is most of the optional stuff. There are just a couple of optional ones so far where I really wish I didn't even start them. It was insult to injury that in the most annoying one, all I got for my efforts was a cosmetic I didn't care for :p 

The traversal, in general, continues to get longer/more precise as you proceed through the game.  And "memorizing" them continues to be a big part of the success of your trial.

I found that upgrading your damage made the final bosses much easier -- otherwise they could take a lot of damage.  And dodging all of their attacks was more difficult than the earlier ones (and a couple of them had "super attacks" that had a relatively difficult parry window to hit consistently.)  So picking up the Xerxes coins and  the ore became more important later in the game.

23 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

The traversal, in general, continues to get longer/more precise as you proceed through the game.  And "memorizing" them continues to be a big part of the success of your trial.

I found that upgrading your damage made the final bosses much easier -- otherwise they could take a lot of damage.  And dodging all of their attacks was more difficult than the earlier ones (and a couple of them had "super attacks" that had a relatively difficult parry window to hit consistently.)  So picking up the Xerxes coins and  the ore became more important later in the game.

Oh yeah, as a rule I upgrade my weapons as soon as possible and get every coin/ore/secret I can see and have the abilities to do. (Well, I guess I haven't upgraded the damage for the bow. It doesn't seem very useful for dealing damage and more for auxiliary things.) That's kind of how I ended up in the endless trap challenge from hell hoping for a coin or ore or health piece, only to get... a skin :p 

Agreed with dodging the bosses getting harder as its gone along. I like that they start requiring you to use the time rewind/teleport to dodge certain attacks. I think the general enemies have also gotten more interesting. The bosses still aren't what I'd call hard, but they're not easy either.

20 minutes ago, legend said:

Oh yeah, as a rule I upgrade my weapons as soon as possible and get every coin/ore/secret I can see and have the abilities to do. (Well, I guess I haven't upgraded the damage for the bow. It doesn't seem very useful for dealing damage and more for auxiliary things.) That's kind of how I ended up in the endless trap challenge from hell hoping for a coin or ore or health piece, only to get... a skin :p 

Agreed with dodging the bosses getting harder as its gone along. I like that they start requiring you to use the time rewind/teleport to dodge certain attacks. I think the general enemies have also gotten more interesting. The bosses still aren't what I'd call hard, but they're not easy either.

You pretty much end up using all of your abilities at some point in the boss fights.  Usually when I got stuck on a boss fight, it was because I was using the wrong ability to try and dodge the attack (and then learning each attack during the boss stages).  It wasn't that "executing" the dodge was overly hard, it was more down to me being boneheaded.

I found the bow more useful in the last couple of stages (and for dealing damage on some of the bosses).  

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished this today, with 100% achievements! I shit right in the bosses face taking him down on my first attempt. Possibly because I maxed everything out. It was down the the wire though -- my health was quite low, I got a round of sword attacks that nearly killed him but then he teleported away. To which I replied

df719a5b-0cbe-4d85-9626-208681da79ad_tex

and finished him with an arrow to the face :p 

I haven't done the DLC challenges but otherwise, the only things I'm missing from the main game are some lore pieces that I really don't care to hunt down :p 

Very solid title. More people need to pick this one up!

• Hype 1