PSVR2 or Meta Quest 3

1 hour ago, Jason said:

My adapted just arrived, may not get around to trying it until the weekend though. What should I have ready to try out, Half Life Alyx? 

Half Life Alyx is considered by many as the best VR game to date. Absolutely play that first. 

25 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Does Steam do a sale around Labor Day? That would start this weekend 

If this page is to be believed it seems Halloween is the next best bet other than trying to rely on a random weekly sale which could very well happen too.

(Also looking like bad timing it was just on sale on the 19th)

Steam Sale Dates · When is the Next Steam Sale? · Countdown and History · SteamDB

8 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If this page is to be believed it seems Halloween is the next best bet other than trying to rely on a random weekly sale which could very well happen too.

(Also looking like bad timing it was just on sale on the 19th)

Steam Sale Dates · When is the Next Steam Sale? · Countdown and History · SteamDB

@Jasonshould probably just get Blade & Sorcery and wait a month :p 

I already knew Halloween was the next “larger” sale event for Steam, but couldn’t remember if they had a mini one around Labor Day

• Halal 1

13 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

@Jasonshould probably just get Blade & Sorcery and wait a month :p 

I already knew Halloween was the next “larger” sale event for Steam, but couldn’t remember if they had a mini one around Labor Day

Yeah I'll do that, not eager to jump to pay $60 for something I may only play for a couple of hours a a novelty and/or if I wind up not liking the PSVR2 on PC experience with all the features that won't work with the adapter.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah I'll do that, not eager to jump to pay $60 for something I may only play for a couple of hours a a novelty and/or if I wind up not liking the PSVR2 on PC experience with all the features that won't work with the adapter.

Make sure you get The Lab, it’s free and basically a tech demo made by Valve for VR and also one of the best VR experiences out there.

If you’re a Rick & Morty fan, the VR game is extremely good.

• Halal 1

17 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Make sure you get The Lab, it’s free and basically a tech demo made by Valve for VR and also one of the best VR experiences out there.

If you’re a Rick & Morty fan, the VR game is extremely good.

Yep. I played the lab and it was extremely immersive. 

The PSVR2 PC setup is absolutely abysmal. Hardware wise its all hooked up, but the setup software -- a combination of the PSVR2 setup and Steams' VR app, is completely broken for me.

In the PSVR app, it regularly doesn't detect that the controllers are paired, even though they do show up on windows as paired and the connection light is solid.

At one point I did get it to register them, got to the room setup and then it just sat there saying to press the PS buttons on the controller, except nothing ever happens. If I drop out of the PSVR setup it would go to the Steam VR and you can sure enough see the whole VR room. Except it says to press the PS buttons to complete the room set up, which it wouldn't do.

That's the furthest I got. I couldn't go further because during multiple tries to get this working, the steam VR app hard crashed my entire computer.

It's an absolute mess. I'll try again later maybe once more patches for both the Steam VR app and the PSVR app are released.

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, legend said:

The PSVR2 PC setup is absolutely abysmal. Hardware wise its all hooked up, but the setup software -- a combination of the PSVR2 setup and Steams' VR app, is completely broken for me.

In the PSVR app, it regularly doesn't detect that the controllers are paired, even though they do show up on windows as paired and the connection light is solid.

At one point I did get it to register them, got to the room setup and then it just sat there saying to press the PS buttons on the controller, except nothing ever happens. If I drop out of the PSVR setup it would go to the Steam VR and you can sure enough see the whole VR room. Except it says to press the PS buttons to complete the room set up, which it wouldn't do.

That's the furthest I got. I couldn't go further because during multiple tries to get this working, the steam VR app hard crashed my entire computer.

It's an absolute mess. I'll try again later maybe once more patches for both the Steam VR app and the PSVR app are released.

Whelp guess I'll try The Lab first so I can have something ready to play if I'm able to get the headset set up without being out money for a VR game I can't play if I can't.

36 minutes ago, legend said:

What BT Adapter are you using?

2 minutes ago, legend said:

This one.

If you have a good suggestion, I'd be happy to try it! That probably won't fix the hard crash issue, but progress would be progress :p 

Literally everyone on Reddit who’s been using that one has issues. A couple things to try: make sure it’s in a USB2 port and not USB3, and use a USB extension cord to place it closer to your play area and farther out from your PC.

Does your mobo have one built in with an antenna?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, legend said:

This one.

If you have a good suggestion, I'd be happy to try it! That probably won't fix the hard crash issue, but progress would be progress :p 

This one seems to fare a lot better with the PSVR2

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: ASUS USB-BT500 Bluetooth 5.0 USB Adapter with Ultra Small Design, Backward Compatible with Bluetooth 2.1/3.x/4.x : Electronics

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Literally everyone on Reddit who’s been using that one has issues.

:lol: Well that's good to know!

A couple things to try: make sure it’s in a USB2 port and not USB3.

That's counter intuitive. What's the issue with a USB3 port?

and use a USB extension cord to place it closer to your play area and farther out from your PC.

It's already very close. My PC is only like 5-6 feet away. Walking up even closer didn't help either.

Does your mobo have one built in with an antenna?

No, unfortunately not. When I build a new PC (waiting for the 5090s) I will probably get a mobo with one.

7 hours ago, legend said:

:lol: Well that's good to know!

That ASUS one is a lot better for most people and was going to be my next suggestion 

That's counter intuitive. What's the issue with a USB3 port?

I don’t know the specifics, I just know USB3 tends to mess with BT signals for adapters for some weird reason. IIRC it has something to do with USB3 generating a small radio signal on the 2.4ghz spectrum which interferes with BT adapters, where USB2 doesn’t do that.

It's already very close. My PC is only like 5-6 feet away. Walking up even closer didn't help either.

Is it plugged in behind your PC, though?

No, unfortunately not. When I build a new PC (waiting for the 5090s) I will probably get a mobo with one.

Ah, your motherboard doesn’t have a WiFi antenna? Damn.

Outside of trying a 2.0 port and possibly an extension cable so there’s a “direct line of sight” for the adapter, the next option would be to get that ASUS adapter instead.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

That ASUS one is a lot better for most people and was going to be my next suggestion 

Cool. I've ordered it so I'll give it a try.

I don’t know the specifics, I just know USB3 tends to mess with BT signals for adapters for some weird reason. IIRC it has something to do with USB3 generating a small radio signal on the 2.4ghz spectrum which interferes with BT adapters, where USB2 doesn’t do that.

Wild. Wouldn't have thought it.

Is it plugged in behind your PC, though?

No, it's plugged into a hub (connected to the back port) that is on top and facing me. It is, however, a USB 3 hub!

Ah, your motherboard doesn’t have a WiFi antenna? Damn.

Outside of trying a 2.0 port and possibly an extension cable so there’s a “direct line of sight” for the adapter, the next option would be to get that ASUS adapter instead.

Yeah we'll see how ASUS does. I do have an extension cable, so I'll try that connected to USB2.

Hopefully that will get it further. I'm not optimistic about the multiple hard PC crashing I was getting though :/ 

44 minutes ago, legend said:

Yeah we'll see how ASUS does. I do have an extension cable, so I'll try that connected to USB2.

Yea, def do USB2 if you can

44 minutes ago, legend said:

Hopefully that will get it further. I'm not optimistic about the multiple hard PC crashing I was getting though :/ 

I've put a decent amount of hours into PSVR2 on PC (more than I did on PS5 :lol:) and it hasn't crashed for me FWIW

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Yea, def do USB2 if you can

I've put a decent amount of hours into PSVR2 on PC (more than I did on PS5 :lol:) and it hasn't crashed for me FWIW

Fingers crossed then!

• stepee 1

1 hour ago, Stickey said:

Wtf you guys should have gotten Quest devices. Way easier to setup, wired or wireless. Don't give up the good fight though. It should just work and sony should get shit over it. 

Meta can eat a dick.

• Shocked 1

43 minutes ago, Best said:

Why?

They're wildly irresponsible as an organization and have done a lot of damage to societies. Especially some developing nations. (I don't have links handy at the moment, but if you're not familiar with that kind of stuff someone else might be willing to find them for you.) They get some brownie points for their recent championing of open source AI. It's really something when Meta is vastly more open source than "Open"AI. But that doesn't make up for everything else.

8 minutes ago, Stickey said:

I don't disagree, but it sound like that the process your going through to get the headset going. 

Yeah it's not great. Although mainly the PC is a bonus for games that I'd rather store on PC. The headset is great on the PS5 itself and supports more features. But honestly, VR is mostly a novelty for me right now anyway because I think all the systems are a bit too cumbersome, isolating, and still give me motion sickness in the wrong situation.

If I was really going to be all in on VR, I'd probably get some other high-end PC headset.

• stepee 1

5 hours ago, Stickey said:

Wtf you guys should have gotten Quest devices. Way easier to setup, wired or wireless. Don't give up the good fight though. It should just work and sony should get shit over it. 

I already have the PSVR2 so $60 adapter and an extra DisplayPort 1.4 cable makes a lot more sense than buying a whole separate device, especially since like legend this is just a novelty purchase for me.

Also,

3 hours ago, legend said:

Meta can eat a dick.

• stepee 1
  • Sicko 1

Tried setting up tonight and got through the PSVR2 app stuff fine but then SteamVR immediately crashes. Trying updating my nVidia drivers and got a half second spurt of music before it immediately crashed again. :sadsun:

Ran through my Windows updates and did the reboot afterward and gonna try again in the morning I guess. 

• Hugs 1

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Tried setting up tonight and got through the PSVR2 app stuff fine but then SteamVR immediately crashes. Trying updating my nVidia drivers and got a half second spurt of music before it immediately crashed again. :sadsun:

Ran through my Windows updates and did the reboot afterward and gonna try again in the morning I guess. 

We can be hard crash buddies :p 

• Hugs 1