Phantom Blade Zero (PS5/PC | 2025), update (09/02): Gamescom demo hands-on previews

SaysWho?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Phantom Blade Zero (PS5/PC | 2025), update (09/02): Gamescom demo hands-on previews
GAMERANT.COM

Phantom Blade Zero has impressed with every showing and trailer, and that doesn't change after going hands-on with the upcoming title.

At Gamescom, I played the demo of Phantom Blade Zero twice—the second time around because a developer challenged me to play it on a harder difficulty. I was absolutely hooked and enthralled by it as well. Every trailer for Phantom Blade Zero revealed thus far has been impressive, and I'm glad to say that the gameplay matches the hype.

The Phantom Blade Zero demo had me face off with three boss encounters (the first one appearing after dispatching a handful of enemies): Tie Sha the Frenzy, Commander Cleave, and Huangxing, the Sunken Pillar of Kunlun. I beat the first playthrough in 16 minutes with 5 deaths, and when the developed upped the difficulty, I beat the second in 11 minutes with 5 deaths. That's not because the game is easy—it's far from it—but because of how intuitive it feels. Indeed, it has a lot of potential and, after playing Black Myth: Wukong as well, it's hard not to see the similarities between the two.

WWW.GAMINGBIBLE.COM

We had the opportunity to go hands-on with S-Game's upcoming Phantom Blade Zero at this year's Gamescom.

I’ll be upfront. I don’t claim to possess any skill within the soulslike genre. I’ve dabbled; I completed Rise of the Ronin earlier this year and have dipped my toes into the waters of Elden Ring but it’s not my go-to realm. With that in mind, I was incredibly daunted to sample Phantom Blade Zero at this year’s Gamescom - especially considering GAMINGbible’s Sam Cawley flew through his demo at Summer Game Fest, our soulslike expert.

No pressure, I thought. What I assumed might be the most embarrassing 45-minutes of my life actually ended up being one of my favourite appointments of the entire trip. That I didn’t see coming. I should clarify something. Phantom Blade Zero developer S-Game claims that the game isn’t actually a soulslike, instead classing it as an action RPG yet still inspired by FromSoftware’s acclaimed Dark Souls series. That being said, it does play and feel like a soulslike but considering the fact that I was actually half decent at it, that might be the indicator that it is an accessible entry point for newcomers to the genre.

Phantom Blade Zero’s combat is exceptionally moreish and I say that as someone who’s typically drawn to narrative and exploration. It has well and truly captured my attention and as such, I sense that Phantom Blade Zero will act as a fantastic entry point for those looking to experience this realm of intensified gaming experiences. I’m intrigued to see exactly how this thrilling combat system runs within the wider context of the game, outside of isolated encounters, but that’s not something I anticipated feeling. Phantom Blade Zero manages to do that very rare thing: it’s challenging yet wholly accessible. A huge win in my book.

WCCFTECH.COM

Phantom Blade Zero is shaping up to be a very good action game, featuring visceral and fast paced combat that instantly grips the player

Following a showing during PlayStation's latest State of Play, Phantom Blade Zero has quickly become one of the most anticipated games coming to PS5 and PC in the future. The game's dark aesthetics and fast-paced combat made it enter the radar of more than a few players, and after having spent some with the game, I can safely say that all the excitement surrounding the game is well-deserved.

Unlike most, I wasn't left very impressed by the footage shown during the PlayStation State of Play. While I did appreciate the visceral and fast pace of the combat, the game looked to me like yet another take on the Souls series formula, which is increasingly becoming more and more tiring. After Soulframe Liang confirmed the game was more akin to a traditional action game than a Soulslike, featuring a semi-open world consisting of multiple large maps, my interest was piqued. While the Gamescom demo was not representative of the entire experience, as the demo was essentially a sequence of short combat scenarios much like the Summer Game Fest one, it did show how the game's action gameplay is extremely well developed.

I got to sit down and play Phantom Blade Zero at Gamescom last week and—after muddling a bit to find my booth in the chaos of a bustling floor—came away quite impressed. Judging by the reactions of my fellow demo-triers, one of whom managed to beat it a whole 7 minutes before me (I'm not upset), it's looking to be a sleeper hit.

Phantom Blade Zero comes from S-Game, and it's the studio's first major effort and, as PC Gamer's own Rich Stanton noted last year, it's also inspired by an RPG maker game the team made back in 2010 named Rainblood: Town of Death. S-Game has since been pretty eager to draw a line between Phantom Blade Zero and soulslikes—revealing that while it's certainly drawn inspiration, it's definitely its own thing.

Having got my mitts on it, I'm in full agreement. Phantom Blade Zero feels, in spirit, a lot more like Team Ninja's Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty—taking the trappings of FromSoftware's Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice and reinventing the genre into a wuxia action romp, like a hefty dash of Godhand or Ninja Gaiden thrown in the soulslike soup. It's a genre diversion that I'm gleeful—downright kicking my feet and giggling—to see flourish.

WWW.SHACKNEWS.COM

This stunning cross between fast-paced action and Soulsborne design philosophies works shockingly well to make something totally unique.

Phantom Blade 0 isn’t really a game at least not yet. The demo we played at this year’s Gamescom in Cologne, Germany was more of a collection of three enemy encounters to create a playable vertical slice. In fact, when speaking with the team showing this same demo at Summer Game Fest it was casually confirmed that it likely won’t be released until “at least 2026.”

That said, from what we have played, the team over at S-Game has already built a strong gameplay foundation that was by far the most engaging action game of its kind at the show. In fact, compared to other similar games at the show, like The First Berzerker: Khazan and Crimson Desert, Phantom Blade 0 feels laser-focused on gameplay that, while unforgiving, feels really damn good.

Like the two other games listed above (and the recently released Black Myth: Wukong), Phantom Blade 0's core philosophy seems centered around taking the core sensibilities of a Fromsoftware game and injecting them with faster-paced combat and more stylish animations. However, this can often lead to these games feeling somewhat frustrating compared to a Dark Souls or Elden Ring. When you get locked into an elaborate attack combo that drains most of your stamina and the enemy quickly lets out a four-hit combo, decimating your health bar, it can be very frustrating. Many of these newer Soulslikes demand speed and combos, but also punish not being slow and considered.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Phantom Blade Zero's glorious mix of Sekiro and Devil May Cry resulted in it being one of Gamescom 2024’s best demos.

Sometimes you only get a hands-off demo that gives you a glimpse into what’s being worked on, while occasionally you’re lucky enough to play anywhere between 30 minutes and a full hour. I’m usually of the opinion that the more time you get with a preview, the better, since it means you can form a more concrete opinion, but that went out of the window after just 10 minutes with Phantom Blade Zero.

• Hype 1