Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (06/09): "Official Trailer 1"

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

who the fuck is that video for? 

that reminds me of those old promotional tapes companies would send out to tell parents what an N64 was. 

What I mean is Tekken 8 started a trend of celebrities describing the absurd stories of the video game series when they got Brian Cox.

Just yesterday Capcom got Ian McShane to do the Dragon's Dogma 2 video.

Then Konami comes out and has no star power and just gets David Hayer to do it. I mean he's the star of the game and preferred Snake voice among fans of the game but the whole idea of these types of video is to get some celebrity in there.

Interesting to think that Kiefer Sutherland was the celebrity, he could have been doing a video like this about his own game. 🤔

• 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - update (06/09): "Official Trailer 1"
  • 2 months later...

I don't think it being a pure "remaster" is all that surprising; I don't know that anything Konami has done recently suggests they have the juice to "remake" a game from jump that would have the scope of Snake Eater. It continues to be weird that they seem to have decided that the original's color palette was not a design choice worth respecting for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't think it being a pure "remaster" is all that surprising; I don't know that anything Konami has done recently suggests they have the juice to "remake" a game from jump that would have the scope of Snake Eater. It continues to be weird that they seem to have decided that the original's color palette was not a design choice worth respecting for whatever reason.

Since it's on a completely different game engine I'd argue it's still more remake than remaster. To me, a remaster is still using many of the same assets, while a remake, is, well... "remade". The gameplay and whatnot staying largely the same doesn't really affect remake vs remaster to me.

• True 1

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Since it's on a completely different game engine I'd argue it's still more remake than remaster. To me, a remaster is still using many of the same assets, while a remake, is, well... "remade". The gameplay and whatnot staying largely the same doesn't really affect remake vs remaster to me.

True enough. Gaming is kinda weird with these terms. This is a particularly weird one since the game scenario appears to be a straight copy, the audio is the same, but visually everything looks more or less done from the ground up. Other than liberal use of quotes I don’t know how to talk about it :p 

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

True enough. Gaming is kinda weird with these terms. This is a particularly weird one since the game scenario appears to be a straight copy, the audio is the same, but visually everything looks more or less done from the ground up. Other than liberal use of quotes I don’t know how to talk about it :p 

I mean, I definitely consider TLOU Part 1 on PS5 a Remake, while I consider the PS4 version to be a Remaster of the PS3 game. All 3 games are essentially the same minus the graphics. I get why it's a weird one, though.

• True 1

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I mean, I definitely consider TLOU Part 1 on PS5 a Remake, while I consider the PS4 version to be a Remaster of the PS3 game. All 3 games are essentially the same minus the graphics. I get why it's a weird one, though.

Yeah. I hope someone mods the color filter into this. My one real complaint is that removing the green makes it looks too clean or something.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I consider it a "remake" if the game is substantially different.

If it is fundamentally an identical game, but with different graphics I consider it a remaster.

What I have read, the ONLY thing that has changed with this game is the graphics.

I agree. Like TLOU 1 imo is a remaster not a remake. 

Remasters are generally just the same game slightly touched up and basically a glorified compatibility port. Once they develop a whole new game that is the same as the old game then it's a remake.

Basically a remaster is what they used to call [name of game] HD

• Halal 1

FF7 Remake is a remake -- it's the same basic game, but remade.  Similarly, so is 2023 Dead Space.  The take the same basic combat, story and setting, and "remake" the game.

Tomb Raider 2013 is a reboot -- a relaunch of the series.  None of the levels, story or setting are carried over from the original.

Halo: CE 25th anniversary edition is a remaster.

The descriptions I have read about this one, make it sound like a remaster.  Levels are identical.  Audio is identical  Cut scenes and graphics have been given a new coat of paint.  Gameplay is supposedly nearly 100% identical (with some control enhancements from MGSV?).

Remake, from how it's generally used from what I've seen, is a game with substantial graphical upgrades first and foremost. Resident Evil 2 Remake, RE3R and RE4R are remakes, not remasters where you are essentially using emulation mods to clean up and sharpen the graphics and upres them to 4K. The recent Beyond Good & Evil re-release was a remaster. Bluepoint's Demon's Souls game for PS5 was a remake. And something like Prince of Persia 2008 is a reboot, a new restarted story. 

Nightdive Studios remastered System Shock 1 for modern consoles and PC with quality of life adjustments, much better graphics (as in sharpened), etc. Then they remade the game completely from the ground up, but it's otherwise the same game. The graphical difference (remaking the game from the ground up) is what changes something from a remaster to a remake. The upcoming Silent Hill 2 game is a remake - it's not substantially different in any way that matters (story, character arcs, etc.), it's a remake because of the graphical overhaul. 

This game is a remake, as they themselves have advertised from the start.