The Continental: From the World of John Wick (Peacock, September 2023) - Official Teaser Trailer

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Wait, Peacock?! I thought this was gonna be on STARZ! Either way looks awesome!

Also I was wondering now that a teaser has dropped so I checked and no Derek Kolstad writing credit to be found for this three-part (three-episode?) show. Looks like it's a four person writing crew but no Derek Kolstad at all that I could find (same with John Wick: Chapter 4). It seems he really was let go (or whatever it was) during John Wick 3 from what I can tell anyway.

This is from another thread I posted awhile back regarding the Mel Gibson's casting

Mel-Gibson-2-Continental.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Mel Gibson To Star In 'John Wick' Origin Limited Series 'The Continental' For Starz & Lionsgate Television

So it' was always going to be a three parter but it was definitely orderd by Starz initially. My guess is that since Universal is the bigger fish here, they just... took it :p

• True 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I liked John Wick 4 but I dunno that the world / franchise has enough steam to keep me interested. 4 felt like the least creative of the series. Maybe a completely different vibe will do the trick, but I dunno that I care w/o Keanu.

I'm not sure about that, having just rewatched John Wick 4. It is the most character heavy one in the whole series. While prior entries rarely bothered to have a lot of character building scenes, in John Wick 4 a lot of characters get more intimate scenes through dialogue than in times past and the action is still really good (they really need to dial down the orange/blue cinematography though, in 2 and 3 it looked beautiful but 4 it started looking garish). I agree that not sure Wick has the juice for a "universe" and I agree it'll take a lot to make it work without Keanu.

I liked the trailer but agree with you on John Wick 4. I liked it but that was one fucking well made Superman cape, I mean men’s suit. Glad it will be available free on Prime for us Canadians.

At least we are seeing 

Spoiler

I assume that lady to be the mother of John Wick, as we await on daddy to finish his drink first 

8 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I liked the trailer but agree with you on John Wick 4. I liked it but that was one fucking well made Superman cape, I mean men’s suit. 

The men's jacket able to cover the entire body (are the pants also bulletproof?) was silly, but no sillier than literally every dude with a gun in John Wick 2 not using the gun and frequently just running up to John Wick instead and getting shot in the head. Fortunately that's been fixed with John Wick 3 and onward.

5 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

The men's jacket able to cover the entire body (are the pants also bulletproof?) was silly, but no sillier than literally every dude with a gun in John Wick 2 not using the gun and frequently just running up to John Wick instead and getting shot in the head. Fortunately that's been fixed with John Wick 3 and onward.

The 2nd movie is my favourite of the series, but 3 had my favourite opening action (just slightly ahead of 2)

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

The 2nd movie is my favourite of the series, but 3 had my favourite opening action (just slightly ahead of 2)

I can't really choose between 2, 3 and 4 since they all have such excellent, stand out action scenes but as much as I like 2, when you go back and watch it it's hilarious how many armed guards don't shoot but run in close for some reason and get shot instead.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm not sure about that, having just rewatched John Wick 4. It is the most character heavy one in the whole series. While prior entries rarely bothered to have a lot of character building scenes, in John Wick 4 a lot of characters get more intimate scenes through dialogue than in times past and the action is still really good (they really need to dial down the orange/blue cinematography though, in 2 and 3 it looked beautiful but 4 it started looking garish). I agree that not sure Wick has the juice for a "universe" and I agree it'll take a lot to make it work without Keanu.

This is all true and fair but "character depth" is not what I'm coming to John Wick for. Yes it's still stylish, yes it's still very well choreographed, it's not like 4 is bad at all and I still really liked it. I feel like there are only so many ways you can have Keanu shoot people in the head and it's clear that by the end of 4 they'd done close to 100% of them.

Yes this is a high class problem. :p 

• Haha 1

Saying there’s not enough in the John Wick universe to dive into other aspects of it is a wild statement. They’re an absolute master class in world building with little to no exposition. Hell you never even see things like the High Table. Now whether or not what they do outside of the movies is any good? We’ll see. But I wouldn’t bet against it. 

Also the correct order is 4 - 1 - 2 - 3. The Warriors homage fight scene is the best. 

• Halal 1

Yeah I don't see how anyone can say the world building in John Wick is not ripe for exploration. There are so many elements and characters that they've introduced that can be expanded on outside of the titular character it's crazy. They really don't need John Wick OR Keeanu Reeves to continue this franchise because each movie introduced more and more to the lore. The pieces are the there... it's really about execution at this point. 

• 1 month later...

So apparently the series is solid enough but because Mel's private life became public, his mere presence just sends the show off the rails ... I really miss being able to just fucking enjoy an actor/musician/artist regardless of whether or not they're a POS IRL but just enjoy them for their quality of work. You can do both you know.

I'll reserve judgement til I watch myself.

15 hours ago, SoberChef said:

So apparently the series is solid enough but because Mel's private life became public, his mere presence just sends the show off the rails ... I really miss being able to just fucking enjoy an actor/musician/artist regardless of whether or not they're a POS IRL but just enjoy them for their quality of work. You can do both you know.

I'll reserve judgement til I watch myself.

I mean, some people will never forgive anyone for anything. If there's no public redemption for people (outside of rape/child molestation/other crimes that deserve the death penalty), then outrage towards them isn’t worth engaging with. Dude apologized, he’s a fantastic actor, let him act.

I feel the same for any figure outside of the Mastersons/Weinsteins/etc. If the outrage doesn’t allow redemption, it’s really just a hate mob.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

<----- GUILTY AS CHARGED!

And while I don’t agree with that tact, at least you are honest about it, unlike most leftist who say they want and believe restorative justice for actual crimes, but are against it for anyone who did anything they don’t like morally.

Just watched the first episode and it was really good! Not sure why reviews have been so divisive. The action is solid - the opening staircase scene was really good. It's got a different vibe from John Wick and is the better for it since this is trying to distinguish itself. Looking forward to watching the second episode this weekend. As for that theory: 

Spoiler

I think that makes a lot of sense. I always suspected there was something between Winston and John Wick and I was worried Winston was his secret father or something. I like this better - that John Wick unintentionally does what his father wanted to do, which is to undo the High Table, etc. and that Winston is his uncle, not his father.

• Halal 1

Second episode from last Friday was another good one, though more of a table setting episode to get ready for the limited series finale. It's interesting how much young Charon plays into Winston's takeover of the Continental, presumably creating the strong but unspoken bond the two shared in the mainline films. I'm glad this episode took the time to establish the relationships between characters that have nothing to do with Winston like Yen and Miles, who were connected through Frankie, or Lou's issues with the Chinese mafia pressuring her to fall in line. I'm not quite sure yet how Detective KD fits into the overall story but I'm looking forward to the finale. 

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Second episode from last Friday was another good one, though more of a table setting episode to get ready for the limited series finale. It's interesting how much young Charon plays into Winston's takeover of the Continental, presumably creating the strong but unspoken bond the two shared in the mainline films. I'm glad this episode took the time to establish the relationships between characters that have nothing to do with Winston like Yen and Miles, who were connected through Frankie, or Lou's issues with the Chinese mafia pressuring her to fall in line. I'm not quite sure yet how Detective KD fits into the overall story but I'm looking forward to the finale. 

this is only three episodes??