The Penguin (HBO | September 19) - "Welcome to The Penguin" video

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Penguin (HBO, 2024) - "In-Production Teaser" Trailer
  • 11 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Penguin (HBO | Autumn 2024) - Official Teaser Trailer
  • 2 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Penguin (HBO | Autumn 2024) - Official Teaser Trailer #2
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Penguin (HBO | September 19) - Official Trailer
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Penguin (HBO | September 19) - "Welcome to The Penguin" video
  • 2 weeks later...

Has no one else watched this yet? It's definitely more mature rated than the movie, but also has a more "fun" feel to it. Very interested in seeing where this goes, how Oz transforms over the course of the show into The Penguin character we know, and how it'll lead into the second movie. 

I also just watched the first episode and it's a pretty damned solid crime drama, with its fair share of pitch-dark humor thrown in for good measure!

It's definitely taking advantage of the latitude afforded by being an HBO show with a TV-MA rating alright :lol:

Cristin Milioti is absolutely terrifying in portraying Sofia Falcone as someone who is right on the edge of snapping.

• stepee 1

Oh yeah I'm gonna get hooked on this show for sure. That being said, the potential of the Gotham Central series that HAD been in the works, dammit I really wish we had it to look forward to as the flipside of the proverbial coin to see how the underbelly of Gotham is fought on the front lines by the police that "protect" it. 

52 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Cristin Milioti is absolutely terrifying in portraying Sofia Falcone as someone who is right on the edge of snapping.

Yeah, reminded me of SO many ex's as well as my mother, so it's fitting I was strangely aroused! :lol:

Seriously though, she's freaking unhinged. 

There's no question Cristin Milioti is killing it as Sofia Falcone. You kind of love Penguin in this even though he's a scummy dirtbag but she just comes in and there's just no bullshitting her, which is Penguin's biggest strength. He's so good at being slimy but believable because he does have a certain charm, as he put it, he's an acquired taste but he's compelling. But she knows him and he just can't escape that.

• True 1

27 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The show definitely has a not-particularly-subtle undertone of class warfare/class consciousness between the street-level/working class represented by Oswald and the upper class represented by the Falcones.

I agree, it helps you get on Oz's side real quick. I can't be the only one who felt pumped up with the kid when Penguin was talking about where they come from vs. the Falcones when he was trying to get the kid to do something he had never done before late in the episode. I was like: 'this guy gets you jacked up!" There's just something about Penguin in this that pulls you in. 

I think the Penguin/kid dynamic has a lot of potential here, especially since he's a very introverted (and scared for his life) kid. But I think he's enamored to a degree.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I think of The Batman (2022) as effective more than iconic. It’s a solid Batman story well told, but it’s not what I think of when I think “Batman.” Even though I enjoyed Colin Ferrell’s Penguin in the film, this wasn’t a story that I was excited to watch.

So that pilot episode caught me off guard, because it’s kinda great.

It takes that grounded Gotham from the film and tells a story that is honestly better suited to it. It quickly makes more of the Penguin character than the film did, really establishing him as an interesting protagonist. I completely agree that using class to differentiate these villains was a clever move that makes the show work.

I’m now really excited to see where this goes. DC has put out a lot more great TV than great movies. It’s kind of exciting that they may well have a great show that ties into the current run of their biggest character.

• Halal 2