PC Community Thread

stepee

On 9/26/2024 at 3:43 AM, Spork3245 said:
COMMUNITY.INTEL.COM

Following extensive investigation of the Intel® Core™ 13th and 14th Gen desktop processor Vmin Shift Instability issue, Intel can now confirm the root cause diagnosis for the issue. This post will cover Intel’s...

as far as I can tell I am still ok. I dunno, maybe there is some performance degradation but I have not had any PC crashes. I suspect either I don’t play the games that hit a CPU as hard or the risk to a 13700 is significantly lower than to a 13900 and 14900, to the point the odds were really in my favor. 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You may be able to go even longer for the CPU.

GPU -- without new consoles, 2-3 years should be easy.

I’m sure I can too, but I don’t want to dip too low  from the high end. I don’t need a XX90, but would probably want to go to another XX80. 

With game devs recommending frame gen now for modern games to get 60fps, if the 50XX series comes with new hardware based tools that devs start to lean on for performance and visuals I may want to upgrade late in the 50XX series life or jump into the 60XX series. 

I know I won’t technically need to. It will be a long while until my rig is down in the minimum system requirements. It’s just me wanting to see and take advantage of the newest fidelity tech and methods while being able to keep a good level of performance. 

The new version of the nVidia App Beta finally allows you to use RTX HDR with multi-monitor. Previously you had to change your display settings to just have 1 monitor active (this was annoying AF if you normally had a multi-display set-up). If you haven't used it yet it's really worth checking out if you have a (good) HDR display as it does a much better job than Windows Auto-HDR, and can be enabled for games that Windows Auto-HDR doesn't support.

The one downside is there is up to a 3%-ish performance hit for using it since it's taking up GPU cycles as it's using nVidia's AI tech to code the HDR in real-time. There are also games with native HDR support that nVidia's RTX-HDR does a way better job with than the game itself, like Cyberpunk and arguably Star Wars Outlaws (you'll want to disable HDR in game if you enable RTX-HDR for it in the nVidia App). RTX-HDR is also currently the only way to play Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2 with HDR since Windows Auto-HDR doesn't work with it.

On 10/5/2024 at 9:48 AM, Spork3245 said:

The new version of the nVidia App Beta finally allows you to use RTX HDR with multi-monitor. Previously you had to change your display settings to just have 1 monitor active (this was annoying AF if you normally had a multi-display set-up). If you haven't used it yet it's really worth checking out if you have a (good) HDR display as it does a much better job than Windows Auto-HDR, and can be enabled for games that Windows Auto-HDR doesn't support.

The one downside is there is up to a 3%-ish performance hit for using it since it's taking up GPU cycles as it's using nVidia's AI tech to code the HDR in real-time. There are also games with native HDR support that nVidia's RTX-HDR does a way better job with than the game itself, like Cyberpunk and arguably Star Wars Outlaws (you'll want to disable HDR in game if you enable RTX-HDR for it in the nVidia App). RTX-HDR is also currently the only way to play Warhammer 40k: Space Marine 2 with HDR since Windows Auto-HDR doesn't work with it.

I’m not sure if resolved, but I did see that there was a significant performance hit using RTX HDR vs Windows Auto HDR. 

5 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m not sure if resolved, but I did see that there was a significant performance hit using RTX HDR vs Windows Auto HDR. 

3% or so typically, I mentioned this in my post. Some older games may have a larger hit for some reason.

1 minute ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

maybe they resolved it or there was a misdiagnosis, because I saw people claiming as much as 30%, depending on the game. 

Some older games seem to take a larger hit. Space Marine 2 has been about a 4-5 fps difference for me.