PC Community Thread

stepee

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Unfortunately the thing they didn’t upgrade is the thing that needed the upgrade the most :P

Having actual battery life is a good second place for most needed tho

It’s sooooooo close. I might upgrade to it if Zotac sucks because a working SD slot, bigger battery, and better ergonomics would be nice. Plus I don’t like the white exterior. 

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Any chances of  x3d this year with these launching so early?

They are "promising" support until 2027.

2025 = Zen 5 X3D

2026 = Zen 6

2027 = Zen 6 X3D

If Zen 6 doesn't make it to AM5, then I'd expect refreshes with clock boosts like they're doing the new 5000 series. None of this is leaked or anything, just pure speculation and guessing of what AMD is going to do assuming they are truthful about 2027 AM5 support.

• Thanks 1

Wireless RGB... one cable for 3 fans... hallelujah!

After going full RGB for my current build I was set not to even worry about it the next time I get a new case+fans just because the cable management is a fucking nightmare. But if they hash out this feature to send the RGB signal wirelessly then I may reconsider. The interviewer did seem concerned about the power draw of 3 fans+LEDs from a single motherboard header, so hopefully these don't sacrifice performance to keep the amperage in check.

Next Intel chips might do something I thought they would have done when I first heard of their P-core/E-core split design: P-Cores will not have HyperThreading.  E-cores won't have it either, and that make some sense as E-cores share a lot of silicon with each other anyway. They introduced HT into the Pentium 4 lineup in the first place because even though it increased power consumption and die size, it increased the multitasking performance at a more efficient rate than just adding more full fat cores because of the utilization of shared resources.

It's quite likely this removal of HT, since games typically see a marginal performance regression if there are more than enough real cores available, plus whatever other improvements they make, will leapfrog AMD's gaming performance when they come out later this year.

WWW.TECHPOWERUP.COM

The Core Ultra 200V Lion Cove-MX processor has four Lion Cove P-cores that share a 12 MB L3 cache. Intel designed the Lion Cove core for the highest possible performance and ISA compatibility, without sacrificing efficiency. The big story here is that Intel has not given Lion Cove Hyper-Threading technology (HTT).
lioncove-4-_small.jpg

lioncove-8-_small.jpg

While it is true that HTT is a great way to put the idle hardware resources of the core to use by executing a second thread in parallel, at the hardware level, this means adding hardware to track and point the second thread for its journey through the core. These are physical components, which take up die-area and stay on whether you have HTT enabled or not. Intel has physically removed the components needed for HTT to work, and says that the savings in power and die-area could be traded for more clock speeds and IPC in the core, playing a key role in bringing Lunar Lake to the desired performance/watt targets. With HTT and related hardware removed, on a given node, Lion Cove yields a 15% die-area saving, with a 5% performance/power gain; and a 15% performance/power/area gain.

• Shocked 1

Man bluetooth on both my laptop and desktop is actually very shitty. The only way to get a decent connecting going is to use the xbox wireless stick. Tbf bluetooth in general is very shitty for me in my apartment. Do consoles do something special? I never have issues with my ps5 for example but if I don’t use the wireless adapter both my desktop and laptop from the same distance will cut out constantly. Thank goodness you can still easily get generic xbox wireless sticks or else I’d be corded only on pc. 

That said I’ve been continuing working on my laptop connected to bedroom oled setup and it’s all coming along very nicely. I got a dock this morning, just a simple 4 port extension but with a long cord so I can plug the ethernet/cooling pad/xbox wireless adapter (takes two slots cuz it’s bulky) on the floor. My tv stand has a tray at a nice level where I rest the cooling pad/laptop on so if I want to open the lid and do something that way real quick I don’t need to move it.

It’s been nice so far having a native pc in the bedroom and definitely makes the laptop make more sense if over priced for my usage of it still. But since I already had it, that was a great move.

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Flipping a switch makes the triggers harder or easier to press.

idk. I know there isn’t a 7” oled vrr display yet per se so what can you do but still sad this isn’t the first. Apparently the display is portrait by default which can cause some issues I remember with GPD but maybe that’s better now. I wish it had the battery and ram of the Asus. It’s apparently going to be the same $800. Idk, I’ll see how I feel in september. I’ll probably get it but not as pumped as I hoped I would be even with low expectations. Next year is when more exciting ones come out tho.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Man bluetooth on both my laptop and desktop is actually very shitty. The only way to get a decent connecting going is to use the xbox wireless stick. Tbf bluetooth in general is very shitty for me in my apartment. Do consoles do something special? I never have issues with my ps5 for example but if I don’t use the wireless adapter both my desktop and laptop from the same distance will cut out constantly. Thank goodness you can still easily get generic xbox wireless sticks or else I’d be corded only on pc. 

That said I’ve been continuing working on my laptop connected to bedroom oled setup and it’s all coming along very nicely. I got a dock this morning, just a simple 4 port extension but with a long cord so I can plug the ethernet/cooling pad/xbox wireless adapter (takes two slots cuz it’s bulky) on the floor. My tv stand has a tray at a nice level where I rest the cooling pad/laptop on so if I want to open the lid and do something that way real quick I don’t need to move it.

It’s been nice so far having a native pc in the bedroom and definitely makes the laptop make more sense if over priced for my usage of it still. But since I already had it, that was a great move.

I had to buy a Bluetooth receiver for my headphones because the motherboard one kept dropping audio

20 hours ago, stepee said:

Does your MB have a Wifi antenna?  Mine uses that antenna for Bluetooth as well.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Does your MB have a Wifi antenna?  Mine uses that antenna for Bluetooth as well.

Nope but actually I just bought a bluetooth adapter that should arrive today that does have an antenna so Im hoping that does the trick!

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

An antenna does indeed seem to be the solution though!

I got this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C1ZDYFSZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Disabled the laptop adapter and plugged this one in. Now my bluetooth keyboard/mouse works great while laying back in bed and bluetooth xbox gamepad without the adapter passed the “play with the gamepad behind my head under a pillow” test of keeping connection. 

@SuperSpreader mebe this could help u 2

• Sicko 1

Also I know I talk constantly about how amazing moonlight is but damn I tried it on my bedroom tv with both the laptop and desktop connected to ethernet and 4k/120fps/115mb bit rate with hdr is incredible. I walked back and forth between the living room (native) and bedroom (streaming) and it’s virtually identical. I think the biggest difference is just the G2 looking slightly more vibrant than the C3 rather than the stream vs native.

I still like running native just cuz but damn you really could just get a hardwired apple tv or whatever and fully use your desktop pc on any display/room in full fidelity. 

16 minutes ago, Brian said:

I’m leaning towards getting the X and giving the ROG away. Outside the screen, ROG did everything I wanted. 

Wouldn’t it make sense to just keep the ROG you have now if that’s the case since the screen is the main thing not changed :P

33 minutes ago, stepee said:

Wouldn’t it make sense to just keep the ROG you have now if that’s the case since the screen is the main thing not changed :P

You are trying to be the voice of reason when it comes to buying electronics?

Oh My God Wow GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I was just shocked that your desktop motherboard had Bluetooth, but no antenna.  (And, no, an antenna does NOT need to be a big bulky thing, it can be realtively small and discrete.

Well, this is all for my laptop to be clear. Though yeah my desktop is the same way with no antenna. But my desktop I just don’t have anything bluetooth. It became an issue trying to get my bedroom laptop going. I would definitely get this same adapter tho if I ever need a bluetooth device on my desktop.

https://www.mensjournal.com/videogames/epic-games-store-leak-2024-list

There was a EpicDB leak that brought to light a few unannounced games. Not too much exciting there so I’m just going to mention the two things that do seem pretty confirmed by this besides FF9 Remake:

The Last of Us 2 and FF16 were both identified through the code names via their save file paths. So both of those have had recent updates so hopefully we can see something soon!

1 minute ago, Brian said:

Worth it to wait for the 5090 then?

As opposed to the 4090 now? Yeah, imo. If it is indeed 2025 it’ll probably be early 25. We don’t know what all new the 5000 architecture may have (what if it has exclusive 2 generated per real frame dlss4?) but even besides that potential you are probably going to be looking at I want to guesstimate at least a 60% uplift and I’m probably being cautious.

25 is like 6 1/2 months away, you waited this long, I’d get the top dog out the gate for the kind of money they ask.

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

As opposed to the 4090 now? Yeah, imo. If it is indeed 2025 it’ll probably be early 25. We don’t know what all new the 5000 architecture may have (what if it has exclusive 2 generated per real frame dlss4?) but even besides that potential you are probably going to be looking at I want to guesstimate at least a 60% uplift and I’m probably being cautious.

25 is like 6 1/2 months away, you waited this long, I’d get the top dog out the gate for the kind of money they ask.

Well I’m buying a prebuilt so whoever is reputable that offers it near launch will get my money. 

• Hype 1

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

Well I’m buying a prebuilt so whoever is reputable that offers it near launch will get my money. 

I think I'm doing the exact same thing. I'm a bit nervous to drop that amount of money but it should be awesome. 

1 hour ago, Brian said:

I do prebuilt also, usually already have the card so I just get it built without the card or a cheap one. I am hoping by some chance the 9800x3D and 5090 release near each other as I’d like to just get a prebuilt with that all set as well.

47 minutes ago, stepee said:

I do prebuilt also, usually already have the card so I just get it built without the card or a cheap one. I am hoping by some chance the 9800x3D and 5090 release near each other as I’d like to just get a prebuilt with that all set as well.

Who do you buy it from?

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

Who do you buy it from?

ur mom L M A O

I just use ibuypower - they do a good enough job imo. Just make sure any modifications you make actually work within your case and stuff when you order. I tried cyberpowerpc once but wasn’t impressed. 

• Shocked 1