PC Community Thread

stepee

5 hours ago, atom631 said:

I read that due to how close it sits to the wall, you have cut in a large recess in for an access box? is that not the case? 

Fortunately I didn't have to do that, no. It's true that the included bracket doesn't let it get super far out from the wall, but I found it more than enough to get all of my cables plugged in. I can imagine if you didn't have very easy access to the sides of your TV it might be trickier. 

• stepee 1

It’s absolutely on the list. But I think Im going to start with a new 1440 monitor. Im still rocking one of those direct from china,  ebay special Qnix 1440 Monitors with the overclockable refresh rate that were all  the rage 6-8 years ago.

Talk to me about what I should get.  Was looking at this beast. Can shave maybe another $100 off with cashback CC and Rakuten app. Im just not sure if this will be too big on a desk sitting only at most 2’ from it? 

WWW.DELL.COM

Shop Dell Alienware 34 Inch Curved QD-OLED Gaming Monitor with infinite contrast ratio & VESA Display HDR (AW3423DW) or view all gaming monitors at Dell.com.

44 minutes ago, atom631 said:

It’s absolutely on the list. But I think Im going to start with a new 1440 monitor. Im still rocking one of those direct from china,  ebay special Qnix 1440 Monitors with the overclockable refresh rate that were all  the rage 6-8 years ago.

Talk to me about what I should get.  Was looking at this beast. Can shave maybe another $100 off with cashback CC and Rakuten app. Im just not sure if this will be too big on a desk sitting only at most 2’ from it? 

WWW.DELL.COM

Shop Dell Alienware 34 Inch Curved QD-OLED Gaming Monitor with infinite contrast ratio & VESA Display HDR (AW3423DW) or view all gaming monitors at Dell.com.

WWW.DELL.COM

View the Alienware 34 Inch Curved QD-OLED Gaming Monitor (AW3423DWF) featuring VESA DisplayHDR TrueBlack 400, or shop all Gaming Monitors at Dell.com.

I have the AW3423DWF, and decided to get it over the AW3423DW.  It doesn't have the GSync module, so is able to have passive cooling (less fan noise), and the firmware can be updated by the user.  Reviews were also more positive for the AW3423DW and reviewers weren't able to discern any downside for it using VESA VRR (i.e. GSync Compatible) vs. GSync.

It was my first Ultrawide monitor, and I don't think I would go back.  I also sit about 2 feet from the screen.

There have been firmware updates since this video was released that fixed the HDR1000 issues.

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

@AbsolutSurgen can the stand be removed?  I have one of those VESA monitor mounts that clamps to my desk so the feet dont take up space. 

looks like that one is not on sale rn but has gone down as low as $800. ill keep my eye out for it. 

Yes.  The DW comes with a VESA adaptor, the DWF doesn't need it and will accept a VESA mount.  I am using the stand.

• stepee 1

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

AMD's results hurt by slowing demand for client and gaming hardware.

AMD on Tuesday reported its financial results for the fourth quarter of 2023 as well as for the whole fiscal year. The company posted a strong end to the year as its data center GPU business rose on increased demand from the AI craze. However, the company posted a lower-than-expected guide, so its shares tumbled 6% in after-hours trading. An interesting wrinkle here is that the company expects to sell $3.5 billion worth of its MI300-series AI GPUs in 2024, though it says it will not be supply-constrained, which essentially means that demand for the new GPU is at least somewhat limited as it ramps — Nvidia, whose AI GPUs are in a constant state of shortage due to incredible demand, is said to have a 52-week wait time for a new GPU, so many would have expected AMD to have a similar problem. Regardless, AMD says that its MI300 sales are on pace to be the fastest revenue ramp of any product in the company's history as it increased its projected sales from a previous $2 billion estimate to $3.5 billion. 

@@AbsolutSurgen any idea how this monitor compares to the Alienware? I know its not OLED, but I can get it for about $630 bux. 

WWW.LG.COM

Discover the 34" UltraGear™ 21:9 Curved HDR Gaming Monitor that features NVIDIA® G-Sync® Compatible and QHD Nano IPS Display. Find reviews, specs, and more for 34GN850-B.

EDIT: according to rtings theres no contest between the two. ill wait for a deal on the Alienware. 

8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

@@AbsolutSurgen any idea how this monitor compares to the Alienware? I know its not OLED, but I can get it for about $630 bux. 

WWW.LG.COM

Discover the 34" UltraGear™ 21:9 Curved HDR Gaming Monitor that features NVIDIA® G-Sync® Compatible and QHD Nano IPS Display. Find reviews, specs, and more for 34GN850-B.

EDIT: according to rtings theres no contest between the two. ill wait for a deal on the Alienware. 

I wanted an OLED Ultrawide display -- and at the time I was buying, the Alienware was probably the best choice (and was on sale).  My gaming space is in the basement, so I don't have to deal with sunlight, and as a result I wouldn't buy a non-OLED at this point.  If you're dealing with sunlight, that might be a reason to compromise for an IPS panel.

• stepee 1

11 minutes ago, atom631 said:

WWW.LG.COM

I'd go for one of these over that:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: PHILIPS Evnia 34M2C8600 QD OLED Curved Gaming Monitor w/UltraWide WQHD Resolution, 175Hz, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, USB-C Docking, Height Adjustable, 4-Year Advance Replacement, Xbox PS5 Switch : Electronics

WWW.AMAZON.COM

Amazon.com: Cooler Master GM34-CWQA 34” ARGB Curved 144Hz VA QD Tech Ultra-WQHD 3440 x 1440 PC Monitor, 0.5ms (MPRT), Curve 1500R, FreeSync Premium, DP*1, HDMI2.0 * 2, USB C*1, USB B*1, USB A*2, VESA Mount : Electronics

Either should have better brightness and better HDR than that particular LG afaik.

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

Ok - Just scored a 4090 FE from Best Buy.

guys - if you dont know, the hot stock app is fucking legit.  

So I have a 4080 super FE arriving today and a 4090 FE arriving tomorrow. :money::money::money:

what do I do!!!!!

Sell one of them for a profit 

:sickos:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

4090s are going for $2200+ on eBay right now because people are too impatient to wait for the stock drops every 7-14 days :p 

HOLY SHIT.  you arent kidding. What a douche move if I did that and totally makes me a hypocrite - but youre talking almost a 500 markup. That nearly pays for my monitor. 

I still feel like my plan of running the 4080, saving the $650 and then buying a 50xx in 2025 and selling the 4080 is probably the best plan. But…..a 4090. 

1 minute ago, atom631 said:

HOLY SHIT.  you arent kidding. What a douche move if I did that and totally makes me a hypocrite - but youre talking almost a 500 markup. That nearly pays for my monitor. 

I still feel like my plan of running the 4080, saving the $650 and then buying a 50xx in 2025 and selling the 4080 is probably the best plan. But…..a 4090. 

The 4080S is going for about $1400 on eBay right now but they're all obviously new listing so who knows if they'll sell for that. Also consider the eBay + PayPal fees for sellers.

It's not really a douche move as you did not buy either of these with the intent to sell for a profit, it just happened to be a bit of luck where you were unexpectedly able to get both at MSRP. It's a big difference IMO.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

The 4080S is going for about $1400 on eBay right now but they're all obviously new listing so who knows if they'll sell for that. Also consider the eBay + PayPal fees for sellers.

It's not really a douche move as you did not buy either of these with the intent to sell for a profit, it just happened to be a bit of luck where you were unexpectedly able to get both at MSRP. It's a big difference IMO.

year forgot about that. I checked a calculator and IF I sold a 4090 at 2200 its about 160 proft and a 4080 at 1400 is 125 profit. 

I have to wait a week or two for my case to arrive from Formd. So maybe Ill try listing one and see what happens. 

Dear pc developers:

While I appreciate when you carry over my invert setting - do not cloud save the pc graphic settings okay. Tekken 8 and now Suicide Squad have both been annoying with this. I switch between my laptop, deck, and desktop and want different settings on all three.

• True 1
  • Sicko 1

The slightly simplified printed circuit board (PCB) design does not really come as a surprise. On the one hand, by now Nvidia and TSMC have probably reduced performance variability of the AD103 graphics processor to a minimum and so Nvidia doesn't need to ensure the best possible power supply for the GPU — at least with 10,240 CUDA cores operating at up to 2,550 MHz — as virtually all chips will perform as advertised even with an 11+2 phase VRM. 

Meanwhile, simplifying the GeForce RTX 4080 Super Founders Edition makes the product slightly cheaper to produce, so Nvidia can sell one of the best graphics cards on the market for $999 instead of $1,199 and retain its profit margin. The slight design optimization should not tangibly affect reliability of the product.

What remains to be seen is how well Nvidia's GeForce RTX 4080 Super Founders Edition graphics cards overclock. Advanced power supply circuitry tends to have a larger effect on overclockability, so the reduction in the number of phases may somewhat lower ability of the card to work at clocks beyond its official specifications — not that we noticed any issues in our review, where the average core clocks on the 4080 Super were quite high.

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

so if I were to keep the 4090 :blush:, and im buying a monitor anyway, it would make sense to get a 4K monitor. any reason (other than size) why I wouldn’t just go for a 42” C3? 

Nope, no reason not to. A lot of people use them as monitors. If you want something ridiculously bright, though, look at the Innocn 32m2v

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/10664/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-super-founders-edition/index.html

The Bottom Line
A small bump to performance but a big reduction in price - that's the GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER story in a nutshell. And in stylish Founder Edition form, you still have impressive, god-like, 4K gaming performance with unmatched ray-tracing capabilities and additional features like DLSS.
Pros
+ A 4K gaming powerhouse second only to the GeForce RTX 4090
+ Stomps the competition when it comes to ray-tracing
+ The price drop makes the GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER feel like a relaunch
+ The all-black Founders Edition design is stunning, with excellent thermal performance
+ DLSS, Frame Generation, the new Ray Reconstruction, and Reflex is a brilliant combo
Cons
- A modest boost to performance compared to the GeForce RTX 4080

We hear the term ‘ray tracing’ thrown around more and more these days, being one of the features almost synonymous with modern, best-in-class visuals. It’s a rendering method that allows shadows and light to be portrayed in a more realistic, lifelike way, and is included as a graphics option in many current-generation games. Needless to say, it’s probably not the sort of technology that you’d imagine a 42-year-old computer could even dream of running. 

However, it turns out that the trusty ZX Spectrum, released by Sinclair Research back in 1982, was capable all along, at least with the brains of Google Zürich senior software engineer Gabriel Gambetta behind it. As spotted by Hackaday (via PC Gamer), Gambetta has shared how he managed to use the Spectrum’s in-built programming language, Sinclair BASIC, to get the computer to produce a shiny, ray-traced frame.

15 hours ago, atom631 said:

so if I were to keep the 4090 :blush:, and im buying a monitor anyway, it would make sense to get a 4K monitor. any reason (other than size) why I wouldn’t just go for a 42” C3? 

HUGE mistake. It will ruin all other monitors for you that aren't OLED. :p 

14 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Ray tracing isn't new, it's been a rendering feature since (at least) the 90s

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that was always the thing about the supposed claim of game consoles delivering Toy Story graphics. Like the PS2. Toy Story took as little as 45 minutes to as much as 30 hours to render a single frame, because of a myriad of things including ray tracing. Nothing was going to that in real time in a box the size of a VCR in the early 2000s. And it’s why CGI was used even more sparingly in the 80s. Computers being even more expensive and taking even longer to do the computations and rendering. 

• Shocked 1
  • Halal 1

58 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Yeah, that was always the thing about the supposed claim of game consoles delivering Toy Story graphics. Like the PS2. Toy Story took as little as 45 minutes to as much as 30 hours to render a single frame, because of a myriad of things including ray tracing. Nothing was going to that in real time in a box the size of a VCR in the early 2000s. And it’s why CGI was used even more sparingly in the 80s. Computers being even more expensive and taking even longer to do the computations and rendering. 

Toy Story wasn’t ray traced actually, it wasn’t until Cars that they added RT to Renderman!

This new liquid metal RAM, which can withstand nearly any deformation, uses reversible electrochemical oxidation to modulate the overall conductivity of the target liquid metals. Published in the journal Advanced Materials, the research details how GLM droplets undergo oxidation and reduction mechanisms in a solution environment that mimics the hyperpolarization and depolarization of neurons. This unique process allows the writing of 1s and 0s, with a low voltage oxidizing the liquid metal to represent “1” and a reverse voltage returning the metal to its low-resistance state of “0".

The current prototype is a volatile memory, but has shown the ability to retain data for up to 12 hours even when the power is switched off. This feature, combined with its stable performance for over 3,500 cycles of operation, suggests that FlexRAM could be developed into different forms of memory.

The liquid metal RAM also demonstrated impressive stability, even under extreme deformations such as 100% stretching, 180° bending, and 360° twisting. This resilience hints at exciting possibilities for its use in future soft intelligent robots, brain-machine interface systems, and wearable/implantable electronics.

3 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.YANKODESIGN.COM

https://vimeo.com/908151254 Smartphones and laptops allow us to play games on the move. But that’s not always enough, especially when the world demands you to...

@Mr.Vic20 I found your next watch!

fuck Vic it’s mine

• Hype 2