PC Community Thread

stepee

2 minutes ago, atom631 said:

whats the best overlay app for watch temps and fps

I think msi afterburner with RSS is the best, it’s what I use anyway unless there is the rare incompatible release: 

seo_16290928256119fbd975c5c5.85243947.jp
WWW.MSI.COM

MSI Afterburner is the world’s most recognized and widely used graphics card overclocking utility. It provides detailed overview of your hardware and comes with some additional features like...

- let it install Rivatuner Statistic Server (RSS) as well as that’s what it uses for stats. You can set it to monitor pretty much anything .

• Halal 1

so far Im liking my new Alienware M15 R7. I would say my only complaint is its kinda loud, even just surfing the web/watching videos. The fans randomly spin up and then will quiet back down. While gaming, it sounds like a jet engine, but I kinda expected that. The speakers sound good and its loud enough to drown it out. Mostly though Ill probably be using my air pods anyway. 

I installed Cyberpunk bc it was always said the PC version was far superior to console, and they werent kidding. It looks amazing. There are so many graphical settings, I have NFI what half of them are. I just used the geforce experience to optimize it based on my system and it seems its mostly set to high. Runs buttery smooth. Cant wait for the DLC. I also fired up Disco Elysium and that is one wild game. Im about 2hrs in and its bizarre and captivating. 

What are some good indie PC games I should play? 

11 minutes ago, atom631 said:

so far Im liking my new Alienware M15 R7. I would say my only complaint is its kinda loud, even just surfing the web/watching videos. The fans randomly spin up and then will quiet back down. While gaming, it sounds like a jet engine, but I kinda expected that. The speakers sound good and its loud enough to drown it out. Mostly though Ill probably be using my air pods anyway. 

I installed Cyberpunk bc it was always said the PC version was far superior to console, and they werent kidding. It looks amazing. There are so many graphical settings, I have NFI what half of them are. I just used the geforce experience to optimize it based on my system and it seems its mostly set to high. Runs buttery smooth. Cant wait for the DLC. I also fired up Disco Elysium and that is one wild game. Im about 2hrs in and its bizarre and captivating. 

What are some good indie PC games I should play? 

Well for recommendations, there’s so many, what do you like? Actually, if you like platformers I do want to give a shot out to Pizza Tower which is one of the best games this year so far. It’s a WarioLand like that surpasses its inspiration.

I would check if you have a silent profile in whatever app alienware uses. Mine is a different brand but the same where the fan is insane but if I switch to the silent profile when doing general desktop stuff it really does stay nearly silent.

Vengeance__i7400_01.webp
WWW.CORSAIR.COM

Step up your game with a CORSAIR VENGEANCE i7400 Series Gaming PC, built with a full range of award-winning CORSAIR components, and powered by a 13th Gen Intel® Core™ processor...

This would be AWESOME! I have the .99 USD part so anybody have the rest? 

• Hype 1

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Well for recommendations, there’s so many, what do you like? Actually, if you like platformers I do want to give a shot out to Pizza Tower which is one of the best games this year so far. It’s a WarioLand like that surpasses its inspiration.

I would check if you have a silent profile in whatever app alienware uses. Mine is a different brand but the same where the fan is insane but if I switch to the silent profile when doing general desktop stuff it really does stay nearly silent.

Yea there should be some software called the command center that has profile modes. One should be quiet or silent mode. 

Here is a wide range of indie games. Some are new. Some are old. All worth checking out. I would also recommend Game Pass if you don’t have it and try Crusaders Kings, Civilization, and others. 

Indies:

Dredge

Dave the Diver

Return of the Obra Dinn

Inscryption

FTL

Papers Please

The Stanley Parable

• Halal 2

33 minutes ago, Brian said:

Yea there should be some software called the command center that has profile modes. One should be quiet or silent mode. 

Here is a wide range of indie games. Some are new. Some are old. All worth checking out. I would also recommend Game Pass if you don’t have it and try Crusaders Kings, Civilization, and others. 

Indies:

Dredge

Dave the Diver

Return of the Obra Dinn

Inscryption

FTL

Papers Please

The Stanley Parable

Of those, I've only played FTL, but I've also invested 240 hours into it. Great rec! :daydream:

thanks guys. I have gamepass. installed chivalry 2 and grounded so far. 

Im pretty sure I have FTL, Papers Please and stanley parable on steam already. Ill def add the others to list. 

are there any must-have applications I should grab? mostly for laptop health, protection, etc. its been so long I dont know what new stuff has come out. (my desktop is a 980ti and i7-2500k). 

Came back to my desktop no longer functioning, kinda sucks. Everything turns on and makes noise but no video will output. Looking at the ezdebug lights on the msi z670p it shows red and yellow real quick then later just yellow, or sometimes it will eventually show no lights. Looking at the manual yellow and red would be cpu and dram issues, I doubt it would be both at the same time. I tried testing the cables, ports, monitors, unplugged the power completely and back, too tired to try anything else tonight.

It was very hot today and I wasn’t here to run the AC, it must have been like 90 in here, could that damage something, if so, what would be most likely? I will probably need help and tools to fully test everything which won’t be for a week but tomorrow at least I’ll try taking the cmos battery out and back in and testing each ram stick without the other.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Came back to my desktop no longer functioning, kinda sucks. Everything turns on and makes noise but no video will output. Looking at the ezdebug lights on the msi z670p it shows red and yellow real quick then later just yellow, or sometimes it will eventually show no lights. Looking at the manual yellow and red would be cpu and dram issues, I doubt it would be both at the same time. I tried testing the cables, ports, monitors, unplugged the power completely and back, too tired to try anything else tonight.

It was very hot today and I wasn’t here to run the AC, it must have been like 90 in here, could that damage something, if so, what would be most likely? I will probably need help and tools to fully test everything which won’t be for a week but tomorrow at least I’ll try taking the cmos battery out and back in and testing each ram stick without the other.

For the bolded, the CPU should shut down before it reaches a critical temperature where it would damage it, usually around 100C. 

It seems like if it's settling on yellow most of the time, it's probably RAM.  The simplest test would be to just reseat both DIMMs, following your motherboard manual's DIMM population guide (pg. 28): 

AD5cW9B.png

If it doesn't work with both DIMMs then try running just one stick at a time in the slot second-closest to the CPU, labeled "DIMMA2". 

After that, yeah I'd clear CMOS. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nokra said:

For the bolded, the CPU should shut down before it reaches a critical temperature where it would damage it, usually around 100C. 

It seems like if it's settling on yellow most of the time, it's probably RAM.  The simplest test would be to just reseat both DIMMs, following your motherboard manual's DIMM population guide (pg. 28): 

AD5cW9B.png

If it doesn't work with both DIMMs then try running just one stick at a time in the slot second-closest to the CPU, labeled "DIMMA2". 

After that, yeah I'd clear CMOS. 

Thanks! Yeah I will try ram first tomorrow. As for the hear, the computer wasn’t on during this time, I just mean my apartment itself was hot so idk if that can actually damage any computer equipment, I would think not since they are built to withstand brighter temperature than humans can.

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

Thanks! Yeah I will try ram first tomorrow. As for the hear, the computer wasn’t on during this time, I just mean my apartment itself was hot so idk if that can actually damage any computer equipment, I would think not since they are built to withstand brighter temperature than humans can.

Oh gotcha. I've never heard of components being fried because of a hot room when the system is off. I was curious and googled it, and according to this post from some rando, it looks like your apartment would have to be getting in the 150-175 F range to actually damage components, at which point you probably have other concerns. :p 

• Thanks 1

Well initial troubleshooting today is looking much better today - so far I just took the secondary ram stick out (and the gpu to reach the ram) and it boots to windows! I’m going to try to put it back, and see if it still boots now, then put the gpu back. Fingers crossed it’s really this nice and ez!

• Hype 1

Unfortunately it appears the 4090 is bad. I imagine it should be under warranty at least. I won’t be able to check for sure until I can try it in another desktop, which I will be able to do maybe Friday as my Dad has my old desktop that this was in at one point so it’s all set to test.

Though he will throw a fit about that (well what if it destroys my whole pc?!), even though I gave him the pc, and he will also blame all future problems he ever has on that desktop on the time we tried my gpu on it, so I also kinda want to not bother and just tell Zotac up front I tried and it didn’t work lol.

I could also get another 4090 and see if that works then sell it after I get the Zotac back or return if that’s possible.

But yeah it’s weird I did have those errors that cleared up after reseating the ram but the pc just won’t show video, even trying the cpu/motherboard, unless I unplug the 4090. I can boot with both ram sticks fine actually too, but the 4090 has to be unplugged.  If I unplug it then video does work through the cpu/motherboard. 

I tried removing the battery and putting it back still but that did nothing. I guess at least it’s not the whole pc and it’s not as annoying to replace as a motherboard or cpu and it’s something I have a warranty on.

• Hugs 1

Luckily my laptop is a wittle baby 4090 too so this doesn’t sting so much but the timing of it was kinda crappy, just not good to come home to that after a week. 

Doesn’t look like you can return a graphics card to Amazon so that plan won’t work out, too bad since I could get one tomorrow. Almost wish sli still existed so I could justify it and just have it “resolved” tomorrow. But I also don’t have the room for two 4090s. I’m talking about in my apartment not just in the case.

I think I’ll just put in the case and see if they demand I try it on another pc or not or if we can just move things along. 

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

@stepeeis your 12vhpwr port burned/melted?

No it looks fine. The computer was off the entire time I was on vacation and was working last I checked. I do believe there might been a power outage right before I left and that I had not checked the desktop after that. I can’t quite remember if I did or not though.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

No it looks fine. The computer was off the entire time I was on vacation and was working last I checked. I do believe there might been a power outage right before I left and that I had not checked the desktop after that. I can’t quite remember if I did or not though.

Have you tried caressing it lightly and whispering in its ear?

Just now, stepee said:

I even was like I got these burgers man, I got these burgers!

Try sticking your finger in the I/O port and twisting counter clockwise while breathing heavily :fap:

Seriously, though, are you certain it’s not something with your PSU? Does your 7950x3D have an iGPU? If it does, try taking your 4090 out and seeing if it boots to windows with your monitor plugged into the iGPU display out on the motherboard, then run a CPU stress test for 10-15 minutes to see if your PSU gives up and your system shuts down.

20 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Try sticking your finger in the I/O port and twisting counter clockwise while breathing heavily :fap:

Seriously, though, are you certain it’s not something with your PSU? Does your 7950x3D have an iGPU? If it does, try taking your 4090 out and seeing if it boots to windows with your monitor plugged into the iGPU display out on the motherboard, then run a CPU stress test for 10-15 minutes to see if your PSU gives up and your system shuts down.

Yeah I have an igpu it does boot up using that, but only if I unplug the gpu, if I keep the gpu plugged in then it doesn’t post. I’m running cinebench now just in case but I’m sure it’ll run fine.

It's a silly longshot, but (using the onboard graphics), maybe double check that your BIOS aren't set to only output video to the onboard graphics. Did you end up clearing CMOS? 

I assume you also tried a different video cable (DP or HDMI), right? 

Intel Foundry Services (IFS) this week soft-launched their new Intel 16 process technology, a 16nm-class node that will be used for the production of low-power chips for everyday workloads. The updated legacy node, derived from Intel's existing 22FFL process tech, is aimed at cost-conscientious customers who are producing simpler chips that don't require the performance offered by cutting-edge process nodes. Set to compete against nodes such as TSMC's N12e, budget nodes like Intel 16 typically see wide use in a variety of fields, ranging from aerospace and defense to IoT and radios.

4 hours ago, Nokra said:

It's a silly longshot, but (using the onboard graphics), maybe double check that your BIOS aren't set to only output video to the onboard graphics. Did you end up clearing CMOS? 

I assume you also tried a different video cable (DP or HDMI), right? 

It wasn’t set to integrated only and I tried setting it to hybrid just in case, no matter what it does not post if the 4090 is plugged in. I tried all sorts of combinations and yeah different ports and cables and sources. The one constant is if the 4090 is plugged in then it doesn’t post. If it was posting with the 4090 and just not showing on the display, I should be able to see it on moonlight and I do not. 

I cleared the bios and actually updated it to the latest bios and still nothing.

Pretty sure it’s the card :(

• Hugs 2

44 minutes ago, stepee said:

It wasn’t set to integrated only and I tried setting it to hybrid just in case, no matter what it does not post if the 4090 is plugged in. I tried all sorts of combinations and yeah different ports and cables and sources. The one constant is if the 4090 is plugged in then it doesn’t post. If it was posting with the 4090 and just not showing on the display, I should be able to see it on moonlight and I do not. 

I cleared the bios and actually updated it to the latest bios and still nothing.

:rose: for your 4090. :(

Pretty weird that it just died all of a sudden... You've had that card for a couple months now, right? It seems like if they're going to go bad, components usually crap out within the first few hours. :/ 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Did you try leaving the RAM at stock 4800 MHz, no EXPO settings?