PC Community Thread

stepee

2 hours ago, stepee said:

One of the reasons I wanted to try a gaming laptop again was also because I had a feeling 4000 series with dlss3 would be a fantastic for laptops getting that extra power that doesn’t hurt the power budget. Not disappointed so far! That definitely seems when this is the closest to my desktop, I’m going to have to up my PureDark monthly donation to make sure those dlss3 patches keep coming. 

And this should be pretty close actually to a regular 4080 laptop because it’s really restrained since it’s a 14” and those I’ve seen close to just 2k. That boost to the laptop cpu is just so huge. 

Have you tried your Nreal glasses on the new laptop? What did you think?

58 minutes ago, stepee said:

I’ll be trying them out tonight with 3D Mario Galaxy 2!

Mario Galaxy 2 is maybe the greatest Mario game ever made. A close second would be Mario Odyssey. Your experience with the Neal glasses will be spectacular. Enjoy!

• stepee 1

6 hours ago, stepee said:

One of the reasons I wanted to try a gaming laptop again was also because I had a feeling 4000 series with dlss3 would be a fantastic for laptops getting that extra power that doesn’t hurt the power budget. Not disappointed so far! That definitely seems when this is the closest to my desktop, I’m going to have to up my PureDark monthly donation to make sure those dlss3 patches keep coming. 

And this should be pretty close actually to a regular 4080 laptop because it’s really restrained since it’s a 14” and those I’ve seen close to just 2k. That boost to the laptop cpu is just so huge. 

Yea I was thinking of upgrading to the 4000 series for DLSS 3 even though I bought my laptop last year. I am looking at the Zenbook 14 pro because it has OLED. Unfortunately the GPU is a 4070. The 16 inch will have a 4080 but I really want a smaller laptop.

1 hour ago, Brian said:

Yea I was thinking of upgrading to the 4000 series for DLSS 3 even though I bought my laptop last year. I am looking at the Zenbook 14 pro because it has OLED. Unfortunately the GPU is a 4070. The 16 inch will have a 4080 but I really want a smaller laptop.

Yeah I spent so long looking at laptops and it came to the fact that what I wanted doesn’t seem to exist right now so I had to find the one closest to matching. Biggest issues with this one are the fans are loud and it’s micro led instead of oled. I will say the micro per screen IS great and probably is the case for any micro led laptop, so if you can’t find oled with what you want maybe look for that.

I definitely had to overpay to even get close to what I wanted right now. I just wanted a 14” 4080 laptop with an oled screen but there isn’t one.

I wish I could have been okay with a 16” laptop, I think if you are, there are a lot better options out there. Besides performing better the 16” Zephyus model has the micro led screen but with twice the dimming zones and 1100nit vs 650nit. I’m really happy with this screen, it looks amazing, but that just makes me think that the 16” mode one must really be something. But alas, I even tried going to the store to check out 16” models in person and convince myself of the size but it’s just a deal breaker for me.

On 6/2/2023 at 12:19 PM, Nokra said:

Have you tried your Nreal glasses on the new laptop? What did you think?

So I have been messing with other stuff on the laptop and haven’t tried 3D yet but I’m playing SF6 on it right now and it works great. I didn’t need to do anything besides plug it in and then just start gaming on the second large screen. I’m sure you can change it so they are separated but it’s kinda nice how both screens look normal at the same time. I had some fun just comparing the quality of oled to the micro led. 

It’s definitely a good solution to get the convenient feeling of playing a handheld in bed but with the power of a gaming laptop. The little speakers by the ears actually helps drown out the noise from the laptop too. 

Definitely make sure to get a rokid and not xreal as with a laptop you really want that 120hz connection. I’m going to have to get a pair now because especially for anything dlss3 you really want that 120.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

So I have been messing with other stuff on the laptop and haven’t tried 3D yet but I’m playing SF6 on it right now and it works great. I didn’t need to do anything besides plug it in and then just start gaming on the second large screen. I’m sure you can change it so they are separated but it’s kinda nice how both screens look normal at the same time. I had some fun just comparing the quality of oled to the micro led. 

It’s definitely a good solution to get the convenient feeling of playing a handheld in bed but with the power of a gaming laptop. The little speakers by the ears actually helps drown out the noise from the laptop too. 

Definitely make sure to get a rokid and not xreal as with a laptop you really want that 120hz connection. I’m going to have to get a pair now because especially for anything dlss3 you really want that 120.

Nice, thanks for the impressions and implicit approval of my purchase. :lol: :p I bought the Rokid Max nearly two weeks ago now and I'm just waiting for them to ship them to me. Since placing the order, there has been zero communication from them. :/ 

But in any case it sounds like it's going to be awesome. Glad you're enjoying the new laptop!

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

Nice, thanks for the impressions and implicit approval of my purchase. :lol: :p I bought the Rokid Max nearly two weeks ago now and I'm just waiting for them to ship them to me. Since placing the order, there has been zero communication from them. :/ 

But in any case it sounds like it's going to be awesome. Glad you're enjoying the new laptop!

Not good news about the shipping! I just ordered mine so I guess I better start thinking like a month! I think I’ll be alright though - oh and sorry everyone but x-real has some interesting 3dof stuff that I want to play with so I’m keeping those :(

9 hours ago, stepee said:

I wish I could have been okay with a 16” laptop, I think if you are, there are a lot better options out there. Besides performing better the 16” Zephyus model has the micro led screen but with twice the dimming zones and 1100nit vs 650nit. I’m really happy with this screen, it looks amazing, but that just makes me think that the 16” mode one must really be something. But alas, I even tried going to the store to check out 16” models in person and convince myself of the size but it’s just a deal breaker for me.

Man I used to buy these 16"/17" laptops with GPUs they were horrible to use as laptops and not powerful enough to be a true workhorse PC. I have a 13.5" Surface Laptop now with no built in GPU and it's so light and easy for travel. I love it. 

13 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Man I used to buy these 16"/17" laptops with GPUs they were horrible to use as laptops and not powerful enough to be a true workhorse PC. I have a 13.5" Surface Laptop now with no built in GPU and it's so light and easy for travel. I love it. 

Yeah I’m coming from a surface pro and it was the happiest I’d been with a laptop. I will say this 14” is a lot more manageable than gaming laptops I tried before and it’s definitely powerful enough to max anything at its native 1600p res. I was getting 140fps maxed out in Returnal with ray tracing on p good stuff for the size. It can be pretty silent when it switches to the igpu but still gets kinda warm. Surface is definitely better still if gaming isn’t the priority. 

Oh and I tried Mario Galaxy 2 in 3D via my laptop and the x-real glasses. Playing it now it runs perfectly down sampled from 5k with 4x MSAA and it is stunningly sharp. It seriously looks so damn good with these super clear holograms floating out. Like when Mario flies out towards the screen after you beat a level it’s like he’s just floating around your room.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

@stepee I doubt this is happening to you, but is it? When I'm playing Street Fighter in work tour mode specifically NVIDIA control panel and a bunch of stuff crash. It's odd.

I only played an hour or so but I did not notice that.

• Thanks 1

rtx-4000-super-leaked-specs-1.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Nvidia is worried by Intel Battlemage and AMD competition if recent RTX 4000 Super specs leaks are anything to go by, with lots of VRAM for reasonable prices.

Take these rumors with a grain of salt, but interesting if true. 4060 Super 12gb, 4070 Super 16gb, 4080 Super 20gb, 4090 Super 24gb (and $2k :p )

I gotta say I’ve been really enjoying the gaming laptop + nreal combo. It’s nice having all that local power and the ease and comfort of just hooking up the glasses and holding a gamepad. This little 14” thing is a beast, I’m super happy with its performance even if I’d rather the cpu was intel, but maybe they had their reasons for that.

I do like playing some on the laptop screen because it’s just so damn nice looking and I get hdr, but for longer sessions laptop design doesn’t work so well for me and that’s where these glasses are a game changer.

Biggest issue with my whole setup right now is I wish the glasses were brighter now and my Rokid’s haven’t given any updates yet!

• stepee 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 2:29 PM, Spork3245 said:
rtx-4000-super-leaked-specs-1.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

Nvidia is worried by Intel Battlemage and AMD competition if recent RTX 4000 Super specs leaks are anything to go by, with lots of VRAM for reasonable prices.

Take these rumors with a grain of salt, but interesting if true. 4060 Super 12gb, 4070 Super 16gb, 4080 Super 20gb, 4090 Super 24gb (and $2k :p )

I was just realizing that when I upgraded to my current RTX 3060, I went from 2GB on the GTX 770 to the 12GB that I have now. So if I continue that trend in terms of upgrades, I'll have to wait until a mainstream GPU has 72GB of VRAM. Then I'll have all the VRAM I'll ever need. :p

But seriously, the 4070 Super looks to be a much better proposition compared to the normal one, and the 4080 seems better too. Just don't like those prices because fuck that noise. 

EA app is maybe slightly less worse than Origin but I still hate it. It’s always logging me out of the app saying i’m signing in somewhere else. And it makes me put my password back to log back in.

I am signed in somewhere else, I’m logged in on my laptop and I’ll be logging in on the rog ally soon, it needs to fucking get over it and mind it’s own business as long as Im not playing games on more than one.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

EA app is maybe slightly less worse than Origin but I still hate it. It’s always logging me out of the app saying i’m signing in somewhere else. And it makes me put my password back to log back in.

I am signed in somewhere else, I’m logged in on my laptop and I’ll be logging in on the rog ally soon, it needs to fucking get over it and mind it’s own business as long as Im not playing games on more than one.

My issue was always the amount of downtime it has. If the servers are down, there needs to be some leniency that allows you to play for some amount of time. 

3 hours ago, Brian said:

@stepee what laptop do you have again?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-zephyrus-14-165hz-gaming-laptop-qhd-amd-ryzen-9-7940hs-with-32gb-ram-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-1tb-ssd/6544090.p?skuId=6544090

Im VERY happy with it. I don’t really have any big complaints off the top of my head. It would be nice if it was a full powered laptop 4090 but it’s still better than the 4080 and honestly the performance for a laptop is just insane. I don’t regret still going with this size instead of a full powered 4090 16” or something at all, the size of this means I actually use it and put it on my lap (with a cooler when gaming, the bottom gets hot of course)

The fan doesn’t bother me because it’s not a whine or creaky, it’s just the noise of a fan blowing air and I always have a fan on so. It is loud when on turbo mode though, but I believe they are all about this loud. 

I’d actually take the hdr600 micro led display over a regular oled display. It is gorgeous. Of course I’d like a oled hdr600 or ideally hdr1000 display more but that laptop doesn’t exist yet. As good as this screen is I will mention there is a 16” model that had the same screen but it’s hdr1000 that must look really stunning. But again, I realized it’s important for me to not compromise on the size of the laptop and stick to what I like there.

• stepee 1