PC Community Thread

stepee

Speccing out my current build it’s about 3500 on ibuypower - there’s a lot of variables here (including the 7950x3d i have being over priced for gaming only) but I’d expect to pay around 3800 pre tax for a 5090/9800x3D combo prebuilt.

@Brian also look at Lenovo Legion desktops. They tend to have specials/coupons (even for brand new hardware that just released) which often puts their pricing almost 1:1 with building your own, and sometimes even cheaper. They don't use proprietary parts either, so it's all off-the-shelf motherboards, ram, etc, that you can customize.

• Halal 1

9 minutes ago, Best said:

@Brian When are you pulling the trigger on a beast of a machine?

When the 5090 drops. I’m getting my electric updated next week so I can build my office in the basement. Planning on getting a desk, chair and monitor once it is done. 

• Hype 1

2 minutes ago, Brian said:

When the 5090 drops. I’m getting my electric updated next week so I can build my office in the basement. Planning on getting a desk, chair and monitor once it is done. 

I think I'm doing the same thing as you then. It's going to cost somewhere around $4K but I think I'm ready to step into the light. 

6 minutes ago, Brian said:

nVidia delaying the 5090 probably works out better for you overall tbh. Both Intel and AMD should have their new gaming CPUs out for you in time now.

• Hype 1

38 minutes ago, Best said:

I think I'm doing the same thing as you then. It's going to cost somewhere around $4K but I think I'm ready to step into the light. 

Once handheld PC became a thing, it made sense to fully move to PC. Add Sony and Microsoft support PC, made it easier. This will be my last generation owning a non-Nintendo console. 

• Halal 1

WWW.TECHSPOT.COM

Recently, users have struggled with stability issues related to Intel's Core i9-14900K & 13900K CPUs. Those with the processors have noticed increased game crashing, leading numerous developers...

Well, Intel should probably figure that out before it comes time to choose between 9000x3D or 15000 for gaming.

Can you gift steam points to someone? I have like all of them and I would rather die than do whatever it is you do with them. And I’m assuming since it’s still a thing that someone somewhere uses them.

20 minutes ago, stepee said:

Can you gift steam points to someone? I have like all of them and I would rather die than do whatever it is you do with them. And I’m assuming since it’s still a thing that someone somewhere uses them.

Worth for the Elden Ring Steam Deck startup video

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

Get this animated avatar, and that's 3k down!

spacer.png

Honestly besides the deck intros which I don’t really want to use as I like the default one a lot and associate it with the device, but I get the value of those, it all looks like things that hurt me to even think about “buying” with the point because I care so little about it all. I wish there was the switch way of doing things instead. Or, at least if they let you gift it maybe then it would be cool for someone else.

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly besides the deck intros which I don’t really want to use as I like the default one a lot and associate it with the device, but I get the value of those, it all looks like things that hurt me to even think about “buying” with the point because I care so little about it all. I wish there was the switch way of doing things instead. Or, at least if they let you gift it maybe then it would be cool for someone else.

TBH they gave away the one you'd be interested in already

spacer.png

• Sad 1

I might switch motherboard manufacturers for my next build. I typically go ASUS, mostly because they have iCue compatibility for the RGB, but they’re getting a lot of bad press with their CS and QC as of late. It’s a really tough call because I like my RGB to “just work” with a single profile rather than running a ton of shitty apps or crappy programs like OpenRGB. iCue is ridiculously simple to use and it’s incredibly easy to make good looking lighting set-ups with it, plus the community support for profiles from others is huge. It also doesn’t help that ASUS motherboards have become ridiculously overpriced to get ones with good feature-sets.

It looks like some MSI motherboards have iCue support but it’s confusing: there’s a Corsair header on some motherboards, but the compatibility may just be to control Corsair device lighting with MSI’s RGB program which is a huge no thank you.

14 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Man, I never realized how much better Moonlight streaming was than Steam's client.  Had to flip on the smooth frame pacing option, but other than that, it's golden to my iOS tablet.

I guess you must have me on ignore because I talk about it constantly :(

4k/120/hdr moonlight is literally insane

So that was a bust with the bluetooth adapter for gamepad in my bedroom actually. I really think it depends on the time of day when my neighbors are using more stuff. The m/kb i use works now every time to turn it on and for navigation so that’s still good. But the gamepad is still just not right for latency.

My hands are like 4ft from my laptop ports so I just plugged the damn controller in and it’s perfect ofc so fuck it I’ll just do that 

So I’m the only one interested in this idea right? Because I would love it so much.

Wired handheld. Completely gutless as far as apu/cpu. All it has are controls and a display. So it’s a 120hz vrr 1080p 8” display with controllers attached to it (not like a joycon but actually attached so they don’t ‘pop’) and all it does is attach via usbc to a device and act as a monitor and gamepad (xinput).

The idea is for off screen but with perfect direct latency and to be cheaper and much easier for the average user than trying to have a great network set up. 

I think I would love a device like this for so many things personally. But I’m afraid I’d be the only one. I’d imagine the device to be about $250 because of display cost.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So like a portal you plug into your computer?

Pretty much. If you want wifi, there are options for that. But yeah this would be strictly a high quality display you plug directly into but attached to gamepads. But like rokid/xreal glasses it would work on pretty much any device.

8 hours ago, stepee said:

So I’m the only one interested in this idea right? Because I would love it so much.

Wired handheld. Completely gutless as far as apu/cpu. All it has are controls and a display. So it’s a 120hz vrr 1080p 8” display with controllers attached to it (not like a joycon but actually attached so they don’t ‘pop’) and all it does is attach via usbc to a device and act as a monitor and gamepad (xinput).

The idea is for off screen but with perfect direct latency and to be cheaper and much easier for the average user than trying to have a great network set up. 

I think I would love a device like this for so many things personally. But I’m afraid I’d be the only one. I’d imagine the device to be about $250 because of display cost.

I am not sure I understand the use case.  Why would I use this over my big monitor?