PC Community Thread

stepee

27 minutes ago, stepee said:

Honestly I hope they do that again. I love how insanely cool the 4090 is.

My 4090 runs colder than any other video card I’ve owned going back to the GeForce 2 MX. And that’s even with it idling with the fans off. :daydream:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

My 4090 runs colder than any other video card I’ve owned going back to the GeForce 2 MX. And that’s even with it idling with the fans off. :daydream:

I actually forget that looking at the temperature and caring about it is something I used to do. It’s obscene and I love it.

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

When I play Counter-Strike 2 I can feel the heat coming off of my PC. 3070 Ti. :daydream: 

That is how it was with my 3080 but now I never even have to run the AC anymore 

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

@Brian

WWW.ZOTAC.COM

HONG KONG – May 29th, 2024 – ZOTAC Technology, a global manufacturer focused on innovative and high-performance hardware solutions, will return to COMPUTEX 2024 to showcase...

u ready?

Yup. I am hoping to purchase a OLED windows based handheld and desktop PC with a 5090 this year. 

• Hype 1

9 hours ago, stepee said:

@Brian

WWW.ZOTAC.COM

HONG KONG – May 29th, 2024 – ZOTAC Technology, a global manufacturer focused on innovative and high-performance hardware solutions, will return to COMPUTEX 2024 to showcase...

u ready?

Counter-point: it’s Zotac. Don’t do it simply based on their CS. :p 

I see the ROG update got leaked as well. Disappointing that it doesn’t have OLED. Better ram and bigger battery is nice but not enough for me to upgrade. 

ZOTAC looks good on paper. My understanding 8840u is the same as Z1E which is fine. Add OLED, Hall effect joysticks, I’m tempted. I need to see fan noise, heat, and software before biting. 

• True 1

WWW.NOTEBOOKCHECK.NET

ZOTAC is due to officially present its first gaming handheld next week at Computex 2024. In the meantime, the company has allowed one trusty editor to publish the first pictures of the...

The pictures are blurred but you can see it has two trackpads. It looks pretty crowded so I’m interested on how it feels when holding.

• Hype 1

I really question why you guys are excited about this given Zotac’s quality control and customer service stories I’ve seen. @stepeeI know you ultimately got your Zotac 4090 replaced but I also remember the experience not exactly being smooth, but correct me if I’m wrong. I know you guys want something higher performance than a Steam Deck with an OLED screen… but… 

not like this GIF

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I really question why you guys are excited about this given Zotac’s quality control and customer service stories I’ve seen. @stepeeI know you ultimately got your Zotac 4090 replaced but I also remember the experience not exactly being smooth, but correct me if I’m wrong. I know you guys want something higher performance than a Steam Deck with an OLED screen… but… 

not like this GIF

I think we are turning over our pc handhelds quick enough that it’ll be fine :P

Yeah it was a bit of a pain but they did ultimately repair it. And besides the fact that well, it stopped working randomly, it’s obviously been great and runs super cool as the 4090s do. 

So far they are saying all the right things for what a pc handheld releasing right now could be, all it has to do is work!

4 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Has Zotac only fallen out of favor in the fairly recent past? I've had a Zotac 1650 Super in an HTPC and it's been rock solid for years now. :shrug: 

idk I never heard anything before I had some issues, but I’m not one to dismiss a brand from one incident especially since they did replace it 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Has Zotac only fallen out of favor in the fairly recent past? I've had a Zotac 1650 Super in an HTPC and it's been rock solid for years now. :shrug: 

They’ve been the “budget” brand for a while with questionable CS compared to other companies. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

They’ve been the “budget” brand for a while with questionable CS compared to other companies. 

To clarify a bit, they had the highest failure rate with the 3000 series, though I’m unsure about other series of cards. Though, it’s worth noting, that failure rate is still very small. I’ve heard a lot of mixed bag stories about the CS, mostly with them being ridiculously slow or a huge PITA to where you’re better off with one of the other big names. That’s not to say their video cards are definitely bad or should absolutely be avoided as it’s likely you won’t have a problem at all, but, unless there’s a huge price difference or I absolutely need the card now and everyone else is out of stock, I’d be trying for a different brand, personally. That being said, I don’t really trust their first attempt at one of these handheld PCs considering their limited product line vs, say, ASUS or MSI.

3 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

To clarify a bit, they had the highest failure rate with the 3000 series, though I’m unsure about other series of cards. Though, it’s worth noting, that failure rate is still very small. I’ve heard a lot of mixed bag stories about the CS, mostly with them being ridiculously slow or a huge PITA to where you’re better off with one of the other big names. That’s not to say their video cards are definitely bad or should absolutely be avoided as it’s likely you won’t have a problem at all, but, unless there’s a huge price difference or I absolutely need the card now and everyone else is out of stock, I’d be trying for a different brand, personally. That being said, I don’t really trust their first attempt at one of these handheld PCs considering their limited product line vs, say, ASUS or MSI.

Well if MSi didn’t release such a stupidly specced handheld and Asus didn’t just toss a bigger battery in last years model we wouldn’t be in this pickle now would we!

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well if MSi didn’t release such a stupidly specced handheld and Asus didn’t just toss a bigger battery in last years model we wouldn’t be in this pickle now would we!

You should just wait to see what Gigabyte inevitably releases at this point :p 

New AMD CPU generation in July

+Faster memory support

+15% avg IPC over Zen 4

=Similar or slightly better clockspeeds to Zen 4

-Probably not better at gaming than current X3D chips, but close

*No word on pricing

=New motherboards use the same chipsets and have the same PCIe lanes, just required to have USB4, Wifi 7, and Gen 5 x16 slots at the high end (which some boards already have anyway).

AMD%20COMPUTEX%20CLIENT%20PRESS%20DECK-0

2 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

New AMD CPU generation in July

+Faster memory support

+15% avg IPC over Zen 4

=Similar or slightly better clockspeeds to Zen 4

-Probably not better at gaming than current X3D chips, but close

*No word on pricing

=New motherboards use the same chipsets and have the same PCIe lanes, just required to have USB4, Wifi 7, and Gen 5 x16 slots at the high end (which some boards already have anyway).

I’m still hoping for better RAM support for 4x sticks like Intel did going from the Z690 to Z790

On 5/24/2024 at 12:32 PM, stepee said:

I actually forget that looking at the temperature and caring about it is something I used to do. It’s obscene and I love it.

I honestly never thought about heat much. I was a little concerned when I first put the 4080 and saw how little room there was between the fans and glass side, but in and around the case seems to always stay cool. At times it almost feels like the area where my case is expelling air is a little cooler than the rest if the room. 

Quite a contrast when compared to the PS3 I had that seemed to act like a space heater. It even made my Xbox 360 red ring at least once.