PC Community Thread

stepee

29 minutes ago, stepee said:

cmonnnn 2026 8k LG oled with nvidia gsync pulsar!

1440p 360Hz pulsar would be a great eSports/do-it-all monitor.

Also I don't think OLEDs require half of what Pulsar does (dynamically tweaking the overdrive function). OLEDs just need to increase their native brightness to counteract the dimming from Black Frame Insertions.

2 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

1440p 360Hz pulsar would be a great eSports/do-it-all monitor.

Also I don't think OLEDs require half of what Pulsar does (dynamically tweaking the overdrive function). OLEDs just need to increase their native brightness to counteract the dimming from Black Frame Insertions.

Mostly I just need some reason to replace my living room oled so I can replace my bedroom tv with my living room oled :p

8 hours ago, stepee said:

cmonnnn 2026 8k LG oled with nvidia gsync pulsar!

I think the current requirements for Pulsar limit it to LED/Micro-LED. From what I understand it’s essentially backlight strobing (or black frame insertion for OLEDs) but without affecting screen brightness and removal of other negative effects - so, essentially a “better version” of that tech. 

8 hours ago, stepee said:

Mostly I just need some reason to replace my living room oled so I can replace my bedroom tv with my living room oled :p

G4 might be 144hz and have MLA on the 83” (we’ll find out this week). Is that enough of a reason? :p 

10 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Apparently the solution to local dimming zones, is just to make the TV bigger. 

This is actually true. I can’t find it now but awhile ago I watched a video review of the Sony flagship miniLED TV, they reviewed the 65” and the 75” vs an OLED (can’t remember if it was Sony or LG) and the 65” in dark scenes was notably worse with blooming than the 75”.

29 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Would it be worth buying some ddr5 2x16 6000mhz ram now for $90 if I’m planning a build in (late) 2025?

Reading some stuff about prices on memory likely to go up.

It's almost never advantageous to buy technology in advance.  If it costs 30% a year from now, is the $30 risk worth buying something now?

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Would it be worth buying some ddr5 2x16 6000mhz ram now for $90 if I’m planning a build in (late) 2025?

Reading some stuff about prices on memory likely to go up.

Definitely not worth it for DDR5.

There will surely be improved memory chips by then, either faster speeds or higher capacity, which will counteract any price increase. NAND for SSDs and other flash storage will probably see a bigger impact to pricing from the upcoming planned supply reduction.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's almost never advantageous to buy technology in advance.  If it costs 30% a year from now, is the $30 risk worth buying something now?

Figures.  There’s good odds that the next gen AMD chips better utilize faster DDR5 speeds. 

WWW.TECHRADAR.COM

The AMD Ryzen 7 8840U might be its last great mobile processor for a long time.

The new AMD chips are based on AMD’s Zen 4 architecture with some very important additions, namely AMD’s XDNA AI neural processor unit (NPU), and AMD RDNA 3 integrated graphics, making the new chips a potentially formidable challenger to Intel Meteor Lake’s hybrid, multi-chiplet module architecture built with Intel’s own NPU and integrated Intel Arc graphics.

While we don’t know a whole lot about the new chips beyond the fact that they are primed to power a number of major laptop launches in the coming weeks and months, AMD claims that its new AMD Ryzen 7 8840U processor — which, by it’s model tier and number, would be squarely aimed at the more serious professional consumer — is about 1.35x faster than the Intel Core Ultra 7 155H at AI workloads like MobileNetv3 (1.04x faster), Volov8 (1.43x time faster), and other similar AI tasks.

The SL500 Ultra Slim is a prototype with a compact metal enclosure with a mag-safe enclosure meant to be attached to iPhones or any Android device like Samsung Galaxy flagships. It also comes with a rubberized casing and a wrist strap. Lexar says the SL500 delivers up to 2,000 MB/s read and 1,800 write transfer speeds with 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB options. This drive is useful for devices like the iPhone 15 Pro, which uses the ProRes RAW format for videos. 

The Armor 700 is the new iteration of the Lexar Armor series drives. As the name suggests, the Armor 700 has a rugged design for added durability. It has an IP66 rating (the IP65 labeling on Lexar's presentation isn't up to date) that's not seen with any other rugged drives, providing a higher level of protection against dust, liquid, and drops. This drive is advertised to provide up to 2,000 MBs in both read and write speeds, giving plenty of throughput ability to use as an external source to record 4K 60fps videos from any device. This resolution and refresh rate in RAW format consumes a lot of space and requires high write speeds. Since iPhones don't have MicroSD expandability, high-performing portable SSDs fill the gap. Apple allows recording to an external drive, making portable SSDs like the Armor 700 perfect for this application. Meanwhile, MagSafe helps the drive stay where it needs to be. 

Could you use something like this for Steam Deck?

5 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

well, Nvidia really threaded the needle expertly there. Price and performance exactly in the middle of the 4070 and 4070 Ti. 

I assume that will be similar for the 4070 Ti Super being just above the 4070 Ti and well below the 4080. The one that makes me the most curious though is the 4080 Super which on paper looks to be a bit faster and more powerful than the 4080 but actually cheaper. 

8 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

well, Nvidia really threaded the needle expertly there. Price and performance exactly in the middle of the 4070 and 4070 Ti. 

I assume that will be similar for the 4070 Ti Super being just above the 4070 Ti and well below the 4080. The one that makes me the most curious though is the 4080 Super which on paper looks to be a bit faster and more powerful than the 4080 but actually cheaper. 

It’s a bit better than that believe it or not: it’s 14-15% faster than the base 4070 and launching at the same $600 MSRP, which is only $50 more than the “slashed” current base 4070 price of $550, while the current “slashed” 4070 Ti price is $750 and the Ti is only 6% faster than the 4070 Super. The 4070 Super is giving you ~15% more performance than the 4070 for ~9% more money, while being within ~6% of the 4070 Ti’s performance for 20% less money.

8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s a bit better than that believe it or not: it’s 14-15% faster than the base 4070 and launching at the same $600 MSRP, which is only $50 more than the “slashed” current base 4070 price of $550, while the current “slashed” 4070 Ti price is $750 and the Ti is only 6% faster than the 4070 Super. The 4070 Super is giving you ~15% more performance than the 4070 for ~9% more money, while being within ~6% of the 4070 Ti’s performance for 20% less money.

But who's on 3rd?

• Confused 1

On 1/16/2024 at 6:40 AM, AbsolutSurgen said:

Why would you want to?  Steam Deck supports SD cards.

And also you can attach a portable ssd of which there are much slimmer 4tb ones available to the deck already. The deck doesn’t have magsafe obviously so that part wouldn’t work but that thing looks bulky so you’d be better off getting a t7/t9 shield and using double sided electronic tape.  

I like just sticking microsd cards in my dock though because then I can always swap them around if I want. I have room for one more microsd in my dock so I might grab one next sale on the 1.5tb to have a total of 4.5gb extra when plugged in (8tb total).

• stepee 1

5 minutes ago, stepee said:

And also you can attach a portable ssd of which there are much slimmer 4tb ones available to the deck already. The deck doesn’t have magsafe obviously so that part wouldn’t work but that thing looks bulky so you’d be better off getting a t7/t9 shield and using double sided electronic tape.  

I like just sticking microsd cards in my dock though because then I can always swap them around if I want. I have room for one more microsd in my dock so I might grab one next sale on the 1.5tb to have a total of 4.5gb extra when plugged in (8tb total).

Nah, you’re best off just putting some wheels on this and dragging it around with your steam deck:

qnap_tl_d1600s_us_16_bay_desktop_sata_jb

• Hype 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

Nah, you’re best off just putting some wheels on this and dragging it around with your steam deck:

qnap_tl_d1600s_us_16_bay_desktop_sata_jb

It’s the only way to be more ridiculous than what I’m already doing!

• Sicko 1