PC Community Thread

stepee

HOTHARDWARE.COM

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX Super refresh may be closer than you think, we potential timing leaking out.

The upcoming GeForce RTX Super refresh is rumored to be announced January 8th at CES 2024, a logical choice. Even more interesting is the supposed release date of these GPUs, potentially being a staggered release soon after in the same month.

@legend's next upgrade?

• stepee 1
  • Hype 1

16 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
HOTHARDWARE.COM

The NVIDIA GeForce RTX Super refresh may be closer than you think, we potential timing leaking out.

@legend's next upgrade?

Possibly... I was kinda waiting for the 5000 series, but if that's still a ways off I might just do it for this.

I feel like 5000 at least in some capacity will still be Oct/Nov next year, early 25 at the latest.

Also side rant but if you are a company that insists on having your own shitty launcher at least let me stay logged in to it. UBI and EA both log you out when you log in on another computer. I’m sure some others do this as well. I switch between computers a lot so it’s really fucking annoying especially when I’m logging into something using a handheld. Allow up to 5 devices without doing that at least FUCK.

EA at least makes it a little easier by letting you link to your windows account.

It's just announced the X1, part of a new line up called the OneXPlorer series, with Intel's new Meteor Lake-powered Core Ultra chip handling all of the duties.

Although it looks just like a tablet, OneXPlayer claims the 11-inch handheld is a 3-in-1 design but hasn't said what that really means. The teaser video gives us a few clues though, as it's very reminiscent of the OneXPlayer 2 Pro. That's an 8.4-inch device that uses Switch-style controllers and supports a magnetic keyboard to become a mini-laptop: tablet, notebook, handheld gaming PC. Three in one.

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

Yeah 11” handheld..I already have a 14” “handheld” with a laptop 4090 at that point

Also speaking of my laptop @Brian not sure if you are waiting for 5000 series and 14” oled models now but my laptop is on sale for $500 off so only $2800 at best buy now!

By the time I could afford it, the 8090 would be available!

I think next gen it’ll be like close enough at least on pc - it’ll still be behind where CG is even today but especially for environments game developers are just so good at faking it. Avatar isn’t trying for photo realism but on pc you take that fidelity and give it a neutral tone and don’t show any buildings or characters and bam you got it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think next gen it’ll be like close enough at least on pc - it’ll still be behind where CG is even today but especially for environments game developers are just so good at faking it. Avatar isn’t trying for photo realism but on pc you take that fidelity and give it a neutral tone and don’t show any buildings or characters and bam you got it.

Yea late next-gen on PC will be something else. My main issue with "realistic" games is that they still look cartoonish. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea late next-gen on PC will be something else. My main issue with "realistic" games is that they still look cartoonish. 

It’s definitely the right choice with where tech still is today. It’s how we were able to sidestep the “uncanny valley” effect and leads to them being more timeless. Games that aim for realism today tend to age out the quickest.

• True 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah 11” handheld..I already have a 14” “handheld” with a laptop 4090 at that point

Also speaking of my laptop @Brian not sure if you are waiting for 5000 series and 14” oled models now but my laptop is on sale for $500 off so only $2800 at best buy now!

Yea I’m not sure if I will pull the trigger on it. I really want OLED. 

• True 2

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

Yea I’m not sure if I will pull the trigger on it. I really want OLED. 

Since your laptop is by no means horrible anyway I would definitely wait if I were you. Even having the deck oled now makes me use mine less. I still love it, but I think I’d probably wait for an oled and just because it’ll be close by then, 5000 series, if I were shopping now.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It’s definitely the right choice with where tech still is today. It’s how we were able to sidestep the “uncanny valley” effect and leads to them being more timeless. Games that aim for realism today tend to age out the quickest.

Crysis I think still looks amazing considering it's 17 years old. That game was aiming for realism and has aged well.

2 hours ago, stepee said:

Since your laptop is by no means horrible anyway I would definitely wait if I were you. Even having the deck oled now makes me use mine less. I still love it, but I think I’d probably wait for an oled and just because it’ll be close by then, 5000 series, if I were shopping now.

With OLED getting all of this attention in gaming, I do expect it to be the standard screen in 2 years for gaming laptops. I think I’ll wait 

• True 1

WWW.HARDWARETIMES.COM

Intel’s 1st Gen Core Ultra processors are finally out. Unfortunately, despite using the chipmaker’s most advanced node (Intel 4), they’re utter garbage. Not only are they slower than AMD’s...

The 15th Gen Arrow Lake processors are the next significant upgrade on Intel’s CPU roadmap. Like Meteor Lake, they’ll utilize a disaggregated (chiplet) architecture, with a 2nm-class 20A CPU die. The cores will also upgraded to Lion Cove (P) and Skymont (E). The iGPU will be based on the Battlemage graphics IP and fabbed on TSMC’s 3nm/4nm node. The desktop lineup is planned to land in late 2024 with up to 24 cores (8P + 8E). 

The 16th Gen family will refresh Arrow Lake, increasing the cores and cache, much like Raptor Lake. The top-end desktop die is expected to pack up to 40 cores, including 8P and 32 E-cores. The process node and core architectures will remain unchanged. The Arrow Lake Refresh should land in late 2025.

The 17th Gen Panther Lake lineup will be fabricated on the Intel 18A node. Like Meteor Lake, it’ll be a mobile-centric design powered by “Cougar Cove” P cores and “Darkmont” E cores. It’ll leverage a new die layout with up to 12 cores, including 4P, 8E, and 4LP cores. Panther Lake is expected to land at the end of 2025.

18th Gen Nova Lake will be Arrow Lake’s true successor with 16 P-cores and 32 E-cores (+4 LP-cores). It’ll be fabbed on the Intel 14A node, and adopt P-cores capable of leveraging Rentable Units and Arctic Wolf E-cores. These CPUs are expected to feature high-cache variants akin to AMD’s 3D V-Cache chips. A late 2026 launch is planned for Nova Lake.

22 hours ago, Brian said:

With OLED getting all of this attention in gaming, I do expect it to be the standard screen in 2 years for gaming laptops. I think I’ll wait 

https://videocardz.com/newz/hp-omen-transcend-14-gaming-laptop-packs-up-to-core-ultra-9-185h-and-rtx-4070-graphics-weighs-only-1-6kg

Has 2.8k OLED panel. I'm not sure if this was what you were looking for.

WINDOWSREPORT.COM

HP is getting ready to realease the world's lightest 14-inch gaming laptop, the Omen Transcend 14! Here's how it looks like.

I’d imagine you would just design it to be less thin and more the size of my 14” with a laptop 4090 - I care more about power than it being thin. It would be different if say a laptop 4070 was anywhere near a desktop 4070 but since it isn’t I would definitely at least want a laptop 4080.