Xbox joins Sony and Nintendo in skipping E3. #RIP

Brian

E3 never felt truly dead to me before today.

The worst part?  This feels like the final nail in the coffin of show floor demos, at least from major publishers.

Maybe that's a good thing for an industry less focused on hands-on first impressions.  But it's also kind of shit when this is supposed to be an interactive medium about gameplay.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

E3 never felt truly dead to me before today.

The worst part?  This feels like the final nail in the coffin of show floor demos, at least from major publishers.

Maybe that's a good thing for an industry less focused on hands-on first impressions.  But it's also kind of shit when this is supposed to be an interactive medium about gameplay.

I couldn't agree more with every syllable of this sentiment. Truly an end of an era & I'm officially in mourning.

The typical E3, where half of it is just announcing titles of games that might be years away, has increasingly become unappealing for me anyway. And I don’t really read/watch previews all that much either these days. I just want to know about what I’ll actually be able to play soon. 

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I went the year the Dreamcast came out... 2001? It was amazing.

yeah, I think we all saw the writing on the wall when due to Covid they canceled it and every publisher just did their own thing. MS, Sony, and Nintendo all do show cases on their own time tables. 

it sucks we’re not getting a full week of wall to wall reveals, exclusive demos and hands on impressions, and Sony rewriting parts of their scripts to take pot shots at something Xbox said or did. But at the same time there doesn’t seem to be this massive news drought for months as everyone stockpiles their big news for E3.