No Black Adam sequel in the first chapter of Gunn’s universe

SaysWho?

• SaysWho? changed the title to No Black Adam sequel in the first chapter of Gunn’s universe
16 hours ago, SoberChef said:

Had actually put on Black Adam over the weekend on HBOMax and got about an hour into it before I tapped out, just wasn't holding my interest whatsoever.

Honestly it picks up in the third act. There's some decent action but it really didn't FEEL like a Black Adam movie. It felt like a JSA movie with Black Adam in it... it's just not very good. "Good for a DC movie" is what I heard over and over again from folks who saw it before I did. It ends strong though, especialyy with the after credits teaser... which means NOTHING now :p

• stepee 1

10 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

It’s amazing, considering the IPs available, DC just hasn’t ever hit its stride, except when they just decide to target an adult audience (gifting the Batman trilogy, Joker, The Batman, and to a lesser extent, Man of Steel). 

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the DCEU stuff has been dark, brooding, and edging on R ratings and most R rated movies don't do as well financially as lighter fare especially in this genre. Joker is the exception. That and the MCU has the more human, relatable stakes of its movies distilled to a science and that tends to go over better in movies than the DCEU approach of, "what if gods walked among us."

Again, it's fucking weird in this movie that a kid is thrilled by Black Adam frying bad guys that the Justice Society shows up and starts saving 15 minutes later, then Black Adam keeps killing when he's alone.

The idea that everything needs to be in a shared universe is one of the most annoying things to come out of the MCU success. Warners was doing just fine giving filmmakers money to make whatever they wanted with these characters, and it got significantly less interesting when they tried to ape the MCU (while skipping a down steps 😂)

3 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of the DCEU stuff has been dark, brooding, and edging on R ratings and most R rated movies don't do as well financially as lighter fare especially in this genre. Joker is the exception. That and the MCU has the more human, relatable stakes of its movies distilled to a science and that tends to go over better in movies than the DCEU approach of, "what if gods walked among us."

Again, it's fucking weird in this movie that a kid is thrilled by Black Adam frying bad guys that the Justice Society shows up and starts saving 15 minutes later, then Black Adam keeps killing when he's alone.

wasn’t he killing all the intergang dudes that are basically oppressing and controlling the whole city? i could see why the kid is happy. but maybe i’m misremembering. 

but i thought one of the problems for apparently being a shitbag antihero is he didn’t actually kill good people. he fought the justice society (who i didn’t know was a thing) and the first thing that happens when they talk to that lady is she’s like oh ya you guys don’t actually give a fuck about us. and i was like…. yeah, what the hell, justice society. that’s fucked up. 

shits all over the place 

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

The idea that everything needs to be in a shared universe is one of the most annoying things to come out of the MCU success. Warners was doing just fine giving filmmakers money to make whatever they wanted with these characters, and it got significantly less interesting when they tried to ape the MCU (while skipping a down steps 😂)

TDK trilogy is the most interesting set of superhero movies for me to this day, though I respect what MCU has pulled off, from the stories leading to the infinity war to the live action Spider-Man multiverse.

There’s room for both! I guess DC might be letting Batman go back to solo films?

5 hours ago, johnny said:

wasn’t he killing all the intergang dudes that are basically oppressing and controlling the whole city? i could see why the kid is happy. but maybe i’m misremembering. 

but i thought one of the problems for apparently being a shitbag antihero is he didn’t actually kill good people. he fought the justice society (who i didn’t know was a thing) and the first thing that happens when they talk to that lady is she’s like oh ya you guys don’t actually give a fuck about us. and i was like…. yeah, what the hell, justice society. that’s fucked up. 

shits all over the place 

Black Adam is killing Intergang people who is repressing the whole country, yes. But it's still weird to see a kid get pumped on them being electrocuted to death. And you're right, Thew Justice Society's response to being called out for ignoring Kahndaq is, "we're here now," which is pretty weak. As you said, it's all over the place.