Scream VI - March 10, 2023

SoberChef

• 2 months later...

Seeing as Perri is a MASSIVE fan of the franchise as a whole, of course her review is biased inherently, yet she goes into just why it's as good as others are already stating - it is a spoiler free review as well so fret not!

Personally, I may very well go Thursday evening to see it locally if not for any other reason so as not to have the identity spoiled for me.

So this was, in my humble opinion, better in many ways than the last. Still hard to get over *THAT* one particular quirky trait our co-lead deals with but aside from that, a solid entry into the series that abso-fucking-lutely does things a lot different here. Hayden rocks for sure & it's so nice to see her back & where she's at. The bodega scene is intense, and the ... let's just say that Ghostface is more ferocious than he's ever been & for good reason.

• Halal 1

went and saw this today and it does something I absolutely hate in movies 

Spoiler

it's daytime (they even make a point of talking about it being middle of the day with the sun out so everyone feels all safe) and they get a call and track it to Gail's apartment ...shift to Gail's apartment and it's freaking night time. I hate that shit!

There were things I loved, and things that really should have been handled better. I need to see it again, but at this point, for me, it ranks as:

5/6

4/5/6 are all very close, but 4 gets the nod for no other reason than they REALLY went there for the killer. 

Had a great time! I really appreciate how this series is basically a perpetual motion machine at this point. I did think that it was kinda dumb how

Spoiler

all the core people, including Gail, were so improbably alive at the end. But then Mindy calls that out as the trope-defying twist,

then I had to say "well, movie, ya got me there". :lol:

• 1 month later...

This is on Paramount now.

On 3/17/2023 at 4:18 PM, TheLeon said:

Had a great time! I really appreciate how this series is basically a perpetual motion machine at this point. I did think that it was kinda dumb how

Hide contents

all the core people, including Gail, were so improbably alive at the end. But then Mindy calls that out as the trope-defying twist,

then I had to say "well, movie, ya got me there". :lol:

Spoiler

Not just improbably alive, but Mindy totally no-sold her gut wound. She was pretty damn limber when meeting up with her should-be-dead bro and the rest.

• Haha 1

I wanted to like this movie more but yeesh.  

How many people got stabbed in the stomach/abdomen in this movie and then seemed totally unphased by it minutes later?

Really took away any care for i had for people getting stabbed.

Did Jenna Ortega's character not fall off the balcony toward the end and take a knife straight to the gut? By the end of the movie they are just walking away lol

Mix that with the subway stabbing and the day/night thing that @EternallDarknessmentioned, felt like the people that made the movie weren't paying much attention. I don't remember having as many nitpicks about Scream V.

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I wanted to like this movie more but yeesh.  

Reveal hidden contents

Really took away any care for i had for people getting stabbed.

Reveal hidden contents

Mix that with the subway stabbing and the day/night thing that @EternallDarknessmentioned, felt like the people that made the movie weren't paying much attention. I don't remember having as many nitpicks about Scream V.

whoever was in charge of ensuring continuity fell down on the job

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, 69los said:
WWW.HOLLYWOODREPORTER.COM

She led both 2022's 'Scream' and the sixth installment, released earlier this year.

Just read this not too long ago, WHAT IN THE FUCK!? First Neve, now Melissa. Paramount & Spyglass can fuck off, I'm done w/ the franchise.

The pure & simple fact that free speech is being curtailed & whittled away within the confines of our own country is seriously dangerous.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

Nothing about what she said is even wrong. I’m sure a lot of people would object to her usage of concentration camp but I would stand by her on that statement. 

Her getting fired is just awful. I have no knowledge of this but people are saying others in the cast have spoken out in support of palestine. so if true this is probably not being received well. the director already tweeted (and deleted) that he’s upset and had nothing to do with this. 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

3 hours ago, 69los said:

Those siding with Barrera are hoping Ortega, who has also posted pro-Palestinian media, quits/tanks the franchise.

Like this?

DEADLINE.COM

Jenna Ortega not returning to 'Scream 7' over 'Wednesday' scheduling issues

• Haha 1
  • Hype 3

11 hours ago, johnny said:

Nothing about what she said is even wrong. I’m sure a lot of people would object to her usage of concentration camp but I would stand by her on that statement. 

Supposedly, the "concentration camp" reference wasn't the primary issue, but rather the use of "I will let you deduce for yourself" in this post which does tiptoe up to the line of endorsing the age-old antisemitic trope of Jewish control of the media.

And quite frankly, the notion at the Western media has only been showing the Israeli side of this particular conflict is demonstrably false on the face of it.  For once, the Western media has been very much engaged in showing the suffering of the people of Gaza.

tn2x5zrsmlvb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

• True 1
  • Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

"This has nothing to do with the fallout from Melissa Barrera‘s firing yesterday"

Nothing to do with it you see!

"Scheduling conflicts". Just like when Aaron Rodgers suddenly has a "setback" in his recovery as the Jets' record keeps getting worse.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

18 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Supposedly, the "concentration camp" reference wasn't the primary issue, but rather the use of "I will let you deduce for yourself" in this post which does tiptoe up to the line of endorsing the age-old antisemitic trope of Jewish control of the media.

And quite frankly, the notion at the Western media has only been showing the Israeli side of this particular conflict is demonstrably false on the face of it.  For once, the Western media has been very much engaged in showing the suffering of the people of Gaza.

tn2x5zrsmlvb1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

i agree that can be taken to mean jews control the media. i haven’t seen her say anything else anti semitic so i would give her the benefit of the doubt until she says something else that tiptoes up to that line. the people at spyglass must have already been upset with her support of palestine and this was the last straw. 

scream 7 is going to be a mess now missing the two main characters lol 

51 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I know we definitely have been... I've worked on several stories on the conflict since it started and the reporters where I work at have been doing their best to be even handed and hold the Israeli media and politicians to account. This shit is not easy and it definitely isn't easy editing raw footage of people being mangled on both sides of the conflict.

• Halal 2

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I know we definitely have been... I've worked on several stories on the conflict since it started and the reporters where I work at have been doing their best to be even handed and hold the Israeli media and politicians to account. This shit is not easy and it definitely isn't easy editing raw footage of people being mangled on both sides of the conflict.

Thank you for essentially confirming my own personal anecdotal observations!  I have genuinely noticed a significant difference in the Western mainstream media's coverage of this calamity in actually giving a voice to the people of Gaza and their suffering relative to their coverage of similar past events where the Palestinian presence was all but ignored.

I genuinely do wish that the coverage was more sympathetic towards the long-term suffering of the Palestinians and addressed the historical context of how things got to a point where an actual pogrom was committed against Jews on October 7 which was then immediately followed by what amounts to a campaign of ethnic cleansing against Palestinians, but the very fact that Western media coverage is more even-handed represents a small "victory" for the Palestinians in and of itself.

• Halal 1

The funny thing about the Scream franchise is that they can keeping it going with new characters so easily. It’s a perpetual motion machine at this point. New people can join as characters tangentially related to anyone from any previous entry, new killers come in and riff on whatever the current trend in horror is, fill it self-aware jokes and the thing basically writes itself. 

• Halal 1

31 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Didn't they try that with this franchise once?

5 (the movie that introduced these two characters) was them trying to basically do a soft reboot and pass it on to a new generation. Of course they still try to bring back whoever is still alive, but now they’re getting low on people who can (or want to) come back. At this  point it’s been going on long enough that the exciting legacy character brought back for 6 was Hayden Panettiere from the largely forgotten 4

Maybe the general public will lose interest if they fully move beyond the OG characters, but it could plausibly keep spiraling forever. 

• Halal 1

DEADLINE.COM

Melissa Barrera is breaking her silence after being fired from Scream VII.

“As a Latina, a proud Mexicana, I feel the responsibility of having a platform that allows me the privilege of being heard, and therefore I have tried to use it to raise awareness about issues I care about and to lend my voice to those in need,” Barrera’s statement continued. “Every person on this earth- regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or socio-economic status- deserves equal human rights, dignity and, of course, freedom.

“I believe a group of people are NOT their leadership, and that no governing body should be above criticism. I pray day and night for no more deaths, for no more violence, and for peaceful co-existence. I will continue to speak out for those that need it most and continue to advocate for peace and safety, for human rights and freedom.”

Barrera ended her statement with the following: “Silence is not an option for me.”

the people at spyglass are idiots. if you think she’s antisemitic wait for her to say something else more incriminating or try to get jewish people riled up about what she’s posted. now you don’t have her or jenna ortega for your movie. i’m sure it’ll still make lots of money because it’s scream but they quickly killed my interest in what’s my favorite horror franchise. 

• Halal 1

Paramount & Spyglass really fucked themselves here, almost to the point where it would behoove them to perhaps sell the franchise rights because, wow! As for this growing sentimentality that there is ZERO room for criticizing Israel (looking at YOU Netanyahu) on any level, you're automatically anti-semetic. This world has zero room for nuance any more and it's increasingly frustrating.

• Halal 1