U.S. official: Canadian marijuana users, workers and investors risk lifetime border ban

Jason

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Super eager to see if NORML and the ACLU can find a duel-citizen willing to put this to the test.

I can't imagine the ACLU is going to look for a DUEL citizen. :p

But anyhow, would dual citizenship matter for the fact that they have to let US citizens back into the country?

Just now, Jason said:

I can't imagine the ACLU is going to look for a DUEL citizen. :p

But anyhow, would dual citizenship matter for the fact that they have to let US citizens back into the country?

Given this Administration's approach toward border security, it wouldn't shock me if they tried to get away with it. And I'd be extremely interested to see how the overall policy held up in court.

21 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Especially for naturalized citizens.

Plus, the slippery slope is more or less obvious. Could European teenagers be kept out if they admitted to legally drinking in their home country? What about sex workers from countries where prostitution is legal? I'm sure someone who is more legally informed could step in to correct me, but restricting entry on this basis seems like a huge can of worms.

16 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Plus, the slippery slope is more or less obvious. Could European teenagers be kept out if they admitted to legally drinking in their home country? What about sex workers from countries where prostitution is legal? I'm sure someone who is more legally informed could step in to correct me, but restricting entry on this basis seems like a huge can of worms.

What about a person using universal healthcare, or admitting to voting for a progressive party? The US government can refuse anyone for any reason, as far as I understand.

55 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

What about a person using universal healthcare, or admitting to voting for a progressive party? The US government can refuse anyone for any reason, as far as I understand.

That's not the case. American citizens cannot be refused entry (they can be detained, but they can't be denied); and though it may be the case for foreign nationals, a lot of entities (states that rely on tourism, universities, businesses, etc.) would have a vested interest in not seeing such a policy come to fruition.

I wonder if they are working this into NAFTA talks:thinking: I’ve been reading stories like this for the past month or so on Canadians being denied entry. One woman was 70+ and admitted to trying it when she was a teenager at a rock concert. Denied her and her husband entry. We can apply for a special admission but only last 6months to 5 years and costs almost I think $800 US. They gotta work something out with legalization happening in a months time or no one will be allowed in at all. Plus you have states where it’s legal but I know it’s still a federal crime. 

Seth Rogen we need you to test this out for us. 

55 minutes ago, silentbob said:

I wonder if they are working this into NAFTA talks:thinking: I’ve been reading stories like this for the past month or so on Canadians being denied entry. One woman was 70+ and admitted to trying it when she was a teenager at a rock concert. Denied her and her husband entry. We can apply for a special admission but only last 6months to 5 years and costs almost I think $800 US. They gotta work something out with legalization happening in a months time or no one will be allowed in at all. Plus you have states where it’s legal but I know it’s still a federal crime. 

Seth Rogen we need you to test this out for us. 

Just lie about it  just like practically every American does when applying for a job or a government security clearance.