Kotaku: NBA 2k19 is pay to win, basically (...again)

crispy4000

... If like most players you have the regular version of 2K19, though, get ready. Your player will be terrible, your opportunities limited, and the NBA will be a hellscape of missed shots and stripped balls until you can get your skills up.

It’s pay-to-win, basically. In a singleplayer game mode (though of course VC can also be spent on stuff for the multiplayer stuff as well). And 2K’s solution to improving the day one experience is to say, hey, you can buy the more expensive Anniversary Edition of the game, or buy a stack of VC with real cash.

... Even after taking all that criticism last year, even after making a very clear “apology” for a barbershop miscalculation, the foundations of this series’ economy are still built atop a bedrock of utterly gross game design.

2K19 is like a free-to-play mobile game, a predatory experience where the game is always shaking you down for your lunch money, even after you’ve already given it $50. To play 2K19 is to be in a constant state of denial and refusal, always aware that in every aspect of the game, from the gyms to the stores to the action on the court itself, you can either spend VC or be told that you’re missing out on something.

Much more at the link.

https://kotaku.com/nba-2k19-is-a-nightmarish-vision-of-our-microtransactio-1828954456

• Thanks 1

I only ever get these to play single player franchises or franchises with buddies. 

It has been odd for me to see the my player mode become the draw for seemingly most people who buy these. I think that mode is kinda fucking bad? It ignores the brilliant design of the actual game, at the very least.

But regardless this is bad for people who really like that mode.

I bought the game last year at a discount and had gotten $5 of free VC and I realized how much of a cash grab it was especially when that $5 didn't do squat for my player. But I was a grinder and got my player up to an overall 92 but there ways to get get free VC, which I think many player totally ignored for the easy way of just paying out of pocket which I admit is the fastest way. It's a bad system for what is a great basketball game but 2k know they have an audience that is gullible and impatient that they take advantage of cause they know (and I think we know) when it comes to online competition, some folks just want the W regardless of the means to get it. 

I will get 2k19 this year and probably not at a full price but I will grind my player again and use the free means to get additional VC that are added in the game thru the 2k app which I have done for a few years now. I'll be damned if I give a company extra money for a player boost acceleration. 

I know folks will not want to hear it this but at the end of the day, there is no need to buy the VC in the game regardless of how much of the big deal 2k or the media makes it out. 2k is wrong is truly wrong for under playing their tactics to sell VC but the most folks who talk about NBA 2k's VC practice aren't sports games enthusiasts and won't tell you the game can be played and upgraded adequately without buying VC. 

20 minutes ago, Hurdyb1 said:

I know folks will not want to hear it this but at the end of the day, there is no need to buy the VC in the game regardless of how much of the big deal 2k or the media makes it out. 2k is wrong is truly wrong for under playing their tactics to sell VC but the most folks who talk about NBA 2k's VC practice aren't sports games enthusiasts and won't tell you the game can be played and upgraded adequately without buying VC. 

Oh, there's no doubt that you can play it and upgrade without buying VC.  Some people will spend dozens of hours trying to earn upgrades that others will pay for straight up.

Its still bad game design which doesn't belong in a retail game you already paid $60 for.  I've always felt that way about in-game purchasable currency.  It encourages unreasonable grinds and dangling carrots everywhere.

• Like 1

This is a much more difficult game than last year's. The visuals and presentation have been takin up a notch so it all looks stellar. The gameplay has gotten even more realistic meaning you truly have to play some good ball to win. 

Last year in my season I averaged a triple double for an entire season with LeBron James. This year, I barely won my first game and this is on the pro difficulty. 

It's a good game but not for folks looking for arcade fun like NBA Live. 

14 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

That is the most myopic way to look at it. 

Teams that contend typically do go over the cap if they want to maximize their window, but the most consistent teams in the league get there through either great drafts (warriors), shrewd font office deals (rockets), or a combination of both (Celtics, Spurs). 

You can’t spend to win. The system doesn’t work that way, and the players have too much power on where they wanna play. 

It would be a lot more accurate to say players collude to win rather than pay to win. 

6 hours ago, Hurdyb1 said:

It is mostly just online players that need VC to compete. Last year I was playing against 90+ players when I was only at 80. Kinda hard to complete the required "win 5 games" objectives when you just get rolled.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Link200 said:

It is mostly just online players that need VC to compete. Last year I was playing against 90+ players when I was only at 80. Kinda hard to complete the required "win 5 games" objectives when you just get rolled.

I'm mainly a my career guy. I didn't touch park until I was just that bored with my career which was probably  3 and half seasons. 

I think I post this every year but...

I don't ever pay attention to the NBA until after the Superbowl (okay I cheat on Christmas day - there are usually a couple good games that day).  That is not too far away from the all-star game.  Also it just so happens to match up that they usually put this game on sale for half off during all star week.  So for me that is all perfect and the best time to buy the game.

• Like 1

I just bought 2k this past weekend and I'm enjoying it so far. It's not as easy to play like last year so those that aren't wanting realism basketball may want to go to the Live side of thing this year for basketball. As a person that enjoyed and played the hell out of 2k18, I like the changes made so far. The neighborhood is much more smaller and things are centralized. Many more courts and activities happening. While the idea of buying VC is present, I don't think it's as bad as how 2k18 advertised it but we will see as the NBA season starts. It seems that we are able to earn more VC now and items such as clothing cost less this year compared to last year's game. 

I'm grinding in my player and signed with the Trail blazers. I made a shot creator defender and I am an overall 67 as of now. Now that I have an idea of how to build my character, it's much more fun deciding how I want to raise my attributes. Last year I had a playmaker defender. I could slash to the bucket and dunk on folks all day but could not hit a jumper to save my life. That's why I made a shot creator this year so I could raise my attributes enough to have a good jumper which I am loving so far. Also i am 3-2 in park competition where I have scored the most points, strangely, in two of the 3 wins. 

I like so far.

• Like 1