August 2022 NPD: Madden, Saints Row on top, PS5 best-selling in August, Sony/Nintendo take 9 of the Top 20 spots, August 2022 slightly higher than 2020, PS5, XBS easier to get

SaysWho?

From the thread.

HARDWARE:

US NPD HW - Video game hardware dollar sales grew 14% when compared to a year ago, to $375 million, helped by improved supply of PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series consoles. Year-to-date hardware spending declined by 4% to $2.9 billion.

PlayStation 5 was August's best-selling hardware platform in both unit and dollar sales. Switch has sold the highest number of units in 2022 thus far, while PlayStation 5 led the market in dollar sales.

As was noted in July, both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series again experienced double-digit percentage growth during the month when compared to a year ago.

SOFTWARE:

Madden NFL 22 debuted as the best-selling game of August, while also ranking 5th among the best-selling games of 2022. This is the 23rd consecutive year that a Madden NFL franchise release was the best-selling title of its launch month.

Marvel's Spider-Man jumped to 3rd on the best-selling titles chart for August - up from 84th in July.  Marvel's Spider-Man was the month's best seller across tracked Steam titles.

Horizon II: Forbidden West ranked as the 12th best-selling game of August, driven partially by price promotion. The title ranked 28th overall on July's chart. Horizon II: Forbidden West currently stands as the 4th best-selling game of 2022.

Top 20:

FdGuxclacAE6Dh-?format=jpg&name=large

YTD:

FdGu1RQakAMnqIq?format=jpg&name=large

Top 10s for

Playstation

FdGvCJYaUAEdKbw?format=jpg&name=large

Xbox

FdGvF_YaEAIYAVx?format=jpg&name=large

Nintendo

FdGu-qTakAImZRT?format=jpg&name=large

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Na SR was great still, just needs more polish. I want a SR4 style next.

I guess. They had plenty of time to polish it though. It's probably one of the most disappointing games I've played in recent memory. Which is sad because I love that genre. Maybe GTA6 will push them to make a much better experience. Competition is key in gaming. 

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

I mean I want more of them because I loved SR, since you did not it makes sense you don’t want more. But I still do!

I keep seeing it in my library on Xbox and I want to play it so badly.  I love that type of game so hopefully they keep patching it. I wanted to love that game so much. 

Do you think because you played on your powerful PC that it made your experience better?

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I keep seeing it in my library on Xbox and I want to play it so badly.  I love that type of game so hopefully they keep patching it. I wanted to love that game so much. 

Do you think because you played on your powerful PC that it made your experience better?

I didn’t have too many issues besides a handful of failed missions due to bugs, but none of them lost me much progress. From what I read I simply just got lucky for the most part, but the pc version does look and run a lot better as well.

I think we played it differently too, I played it mostly as a handheld game, blowing shit up while watching tv, and there aren’t as many games better for that purpose.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

They had numerous years to work on Saints Row 2022 and its complete dog shit. The company is garbage.

Why are you calling it complete dog shit now? I know that you don’t like it very much, but that’s still a bit harsh don’t you think? I finished it and gave it a 7.5, but I would have given it an 8 if it was less buggy and more polished. Sure it has its fair share of issues, but it’s still a lot of fun IMO.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well Saints Row deserves that second spot in sales. Truly a remarkable game and deserving of all the financial gain it accumulates. 

Coming with what? They had numerous years to work on Saints Row 2022 and its complete dog shit. The company is garbage.

These posts are one hour apart. Best I’m starting to think you have multiple personalities for real. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Biggie said:

These posts are one hour apart. Best I’m starting to think you have multiple personalities for real. 

He was being sarcastic in the first post, but with how he constantly changes his mind on things I can see how it could be taken seriously. Or are you aware that he was being sarcastic, and that’s the joke? I’m so confused right now. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • True 1

1 hour ago, Biggie said:

Um...I was obviously being sarcastic with the sales post. 

19 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

He was being sarcastic in the first post, but with how he constantly changes his mind on things I can see how it could be taken seriously. Or are you aware that he was being sarcastic, and that’s the joke? I’m so confused right now. :lol:

Yes, it was sarcastic humor. Also, yes, Saints Row 2022 is dog shit. It's an incomplete mess of a game. You are a lot more forgiving with games then I am. You enjoyed it and that's great. More power to you.

Um...I was obviously being sarcastic with the sales post. 

Yes, it was sarcastic humor. Also, yes, Saints Row 2022 is dog shit. It's an incomplete mess of a game. You are a lot more forgiving with games then I am. You enjoyed it and that's great. More power to you.

Uh I don’t know what to think anymore. You are all over the map.  

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Uh I don’t know what to think anymore. You are all over the map.  

I'm pretty consistent on my views on games. As I get older games really have to be impressive to keep my attention. 

Sometimes I start a specific game and initially like it but then I find things that ultimately makes me want to stop playing them. If that's all over the map then oh well. It's just a message board.

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm pretty consistent on my views on games. As I get older games really have to be impressive to keep my attention. 

Sometimes I start a specific game and initially like it but then I find things that ultimately makes me want to stop playing them. If that's all over the map then oh well. It's just a message board.

calm down al pacino GIF

• Haha 1

Just now, Biggie said:

Omg you still out of work?

Yup. Dr wants me to go back Thursday now because he just got my lab work today. It was not good so I need more rest and I'm taking a ton of iron which helps significantly. I'm losing my mind being locked up in my apartment though. 

All I can say is playing on the Series X I have had no major bugs playing Saints Row like you guys have had and I am STILL enjoying the game. It may have some issues with polish but even with those issues, its not dogshit. Even with all the issues Cyberpunk had when it first came out I wouldn't call it dog shit. Just incredibly mediocre outside of the bugs. 

I'm having a blast with Saints Row doing all of the challenges and exploring the map.. Like @stepee said, it's the perfect turn off your brain and do silly shit game. I'm glad it did well so we can get more hopefully. 

• Halal 2

13 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

All I can say is playing on the Series X I have had no major bugs playing Saints Row like you guys have had and I am STILL enjoying the game. It may have some issues with polish but even with those issues, its not dogshit. Even with all the issues Cyberpunk had when it first came out I wouldn't call it dog shit. Just incredibly mediocre outside of the bugs. 

I'm having a blast with Saints Row doing all of the challenges and exploring the map.. Like @stepee said, it's the perfect turn off your brain and do silly shit game. I'm glad it did well so we can get more hopefully. 

Maybe me calling it dogshit was a bit much. That's awesome that you're having fun with it and I want this series to thrive. Who knows what challenges Volition ran into when developing this game. I'm sure covid didn't help matters either.

I tried to turn off what brain I actually have left off when playing this and it still just wasn't for me. I feel really bad because @Mr.Vic20 bought me this game out of the kindness of his heart. 

Was there any patches after the day one?

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

Saints Row 2022 is dog shit. It's an incomplete mess of a game. You are a lot more forgiving with games then I am. You enjoyed it and that's great. More power to you.

I think that I experienced more bugs in Saints Row than anyone else here, and I still feel that calling it dog shit is too harsh. I don’t deny that I can be more forgiving with games than some people if I find enjoyment in them despite their issues, because for me fun factor is the most important aspect when it comes to games and Saints Row is fun IMO. Although I also admit that the bugs that I experienced in it did take away from the fun a bit, and I would have enjoyed it even more without them. But that pretty much goes without saying.

59 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yup. Dr wants me to go back Thursday now because he just got my lab work today. It was not good so I need more rest and I'm taking a ton of iron which helps significantly. I'm losing my mind being locked up in my apartment though. 

Damn, you have missed more work time than Andrea. lol

• True 1

2 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

I think that I experienced more bugs in Saints Row than anyone else here, and I still feel that calling it dog shit is too harsh. I don’t deny that I can be more forgiving with games than some people if I find enjoyment in them despite their issues, because for me fun factor is the most important aspect when it comes to games and Saints Row is fun IMO. Although I also admit that the bugs that I experienced in it did take away from the fun a bit, and I would have enjoyed it even more without them. But that pretty much goes without saying.

Well I played this for an hour just now. My car magically flipped in the air while driving through traffic. The combat is way below average in this day in age. The voice acting is absolutely terrible and I guess if you can laugh at it it can be enjoyable? It's a mess, period.

@skillzdadirecta

Now...for the visuals! They look half way decent and there is a lot if neon lighting all over the place. The character models are cartoonish which was done on purpose I guess. The vehicles look nice and it's nice and clean looking in general. No texture work at all, though.

Then I played GTAV and immediately was taken back on how fucking good it still looks. It looks much better and more realistic than Saints Row 2022 and if someone doesn't agree with that, play them back to back. Also, GTA V is still incredible with animation, visual fidelity, and the vehicles not only look better they control so much more realistic, too.

All Saints Row does it light up areas with neon lighting and there is no detail in anything. It's a cartoon basically. I won't say anymore negative things about Saints Row but GTA V is almost 10 fuckin years old and it's still not only looks amazing it plays great too.

It's so much more realistic. I shot a woman on the sidewalk and the AI is phenomenal. The ambulance came and so did the cops but it took time like in real life. I was just waiting for the police to show up to kill them. Which I did then stole their cop car. It's just on another level.

GTA6 is going to be ridiculous.

This is sloppy writing because I have a massive headache. 

Edit: I played Saints Row on the XSX and GTAV on the PS5 for clarification.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

I played GTAV and immediately was taken back on how fucking good it still looks. It looks much better and more realistic than Saints Row 2022 and if someone doesn't agree with that, play them back to back. Also, GTA V is still incredible with animation, visual fidelity, and the vehicles not only look better they control so much more realistic, too.

All Saints Row does it light up areas with neon lighting and there is no detail in anything. It's a cartoon basically. I won't say anymore negative things about Saints Row but GTA V is almost 10 fuckin years old and it's still not only looks amazing it plays great too.

It's so much more realistic. I shot a woman on the sidewalk and the AI is phenomenal. The ambulance came and so did the cops but it took time like in real life. I was just waiting for the police to show up to kill them. Which I did then stole their cop car. It's just on another level.

I played a lot of Grand Theft Auto V today, and I agree with what you said here. Its city/world looks and feels realistic, lively and lived-in packed with NPCs and traffic that behave, act and react realistically. Saints Row’s city/world looks and feels like an artificial video game world by comparison. I still like it, but GTAV’s is better IMO. GTAV is just a more quality game overall compared to Saints Row. I still think that Saints Row is a lot of fun, but GTAV is kind of on another level compared to it.

However, the one area that Saints Row is better is character creation and customization. I much prefer playing as my created character in Saints Row than I do as any of the three main protagonists in GTAV. They’re not bad, but my boss in Saints Row is a total badass and could kick all of their asses at the same time. :p

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

However, the one area that Saints Row is better is character creation and customization. I much prefer playing as my created character in Saints Row than I do as any of the three main protagonists in GTAV. They’re not bad, but my boss in Saints Row is a total badass and could kick all of their asses at the same time. :p

I absolutely agree with this. Saints Row has a great create a character process and options. I forget his name now, but I got sick and tired of the one protagonist in GTA V. The crazy one....

23 minutes ago, Brian said:

@stepee RIP Saints Row  @best3444 gonna eat a massive pizza in celebration. 

It will be interesting to see what happens moving forward with Embracer.  They bought a ton of IP but as the last tweet mentions, none of them are turning into hits. 

I want Saints Row to succeed so this is discouraging. It sold well so hopefully things get back in order and the franchise can get back to where it was with Saints Row 2. I am not celebrating over this at all. 

21 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I want Saints Row to succeed so this is discouraging. It sold well so hopefully things get back in order and the franchise can get back to where it was with Saints Row 2. I am not celebrating over this at all. 

For me the new Saints Row just feels kind of rushed and unfinished from both a content and technical standpoint. The foundation is already in place for a much better game, but it’s like they reached a certain point in development and decided that it was good enough and released it. The story feels short and incomplete, and the game in general is somewhat of a technical mess lacking polish. As much as I enjoyed it, there’s still no denying that it’s somewhat of a disappointment as well especially given the fact that what is there is good but could have been great with a little more time and TLC.

3 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

For me the new Saints Row just feels kind of rushed and unfinished from both a content and technical standpoint. The foundation is already in place for a much better game, but it’s like they reached a certain point in development and decided that it was good enough and released it. The story feels short and incomplete, and the game in general is somewhat of a technical mess lacking polish. As much as I enjoyed it, there’s still no denying that it’s somewhat of a disappointment as well especially given the fact that what is there is good but could have been great with a little more time and TLC.

Yea, I'm just curious what happened during development and even with a delay it released the way it did. Oh well. It can only get better from here I would think. Like you said, there is a foundation set it just needs tons of polish. I guess we don't know if there will be another Saints Row game in the future.

I hope there is because GTA needs competition. That's why R* hasn't released a new GTA in over 10 years because they are the only game in town really. I'm sure they had a good laugh over Saints Row I'm sure of it.

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

More than likely  higher than that for Saints Row simply because it's not necessary to build the entire project from the ground up.

This is probably their first AAA project and if this is going to discourage them from making games that people actually want then all those acquisitions are just going to be a waste.

• Halal 1