The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - update: 10+ million copies sold worldwide in first three days (fastest selling title in the Zelda series)

Keyser_Soze

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Well I watched Keysers vid and he wasn't really digging that attachment. Plus I didn't even notice an improvement. I'll stick with 480p 65inch.  😆 

I figured you wouldn't want to spring for the $200 anyway but yeah it does look nice if you actually know what to look for, (I mean you're a guy who thought Redfall was running at 30 FPS :p )

• Haha 1

I had a couple minutes towards the beginning of the game (when you first step out onto the big island) where I thought the game looked and ran like shit, and I was worried. Either it got better quickly or my dumb eyes just began to accept it, but either way I have no real complaint with how it looks/runs. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Yea, it's been forever since I played BOTW. I was just curious in how you guys felt, especially those further than me. 

Seriously stop quoting me and attacking me. 

Theres a weird tiny faction of progressives that think being an asshole and attacking everyone they don’t agree with about, even something as simple as games is perfectly acceptable. They are generally just as disgusting as the people on the right they hate so much.

God forbid you have an opinion that’s not pre-approved by them. 

admittedly I think its a ridiculous opinion, but that shit is uncalled for and was basically full of projection.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Theres a weird tiny faction of progressives that think being an asshole and attacking everyone they don’t agree with about, even something as simple as games is perfectly acceptable. They are generally just as disgusting as the people on the right they hate so much.

God forbid you have an opinion that’s not pre-approved by them. 

admittedly I think its a ridiculous opinion, but that shit is uncalled for and was basically full of projection.

Well immediately when I woke up I litteraly was staring at a article reading "is TOTK really a sequel"?

So I questioned it myself because I'm so early in the game that it all feels very familiar to me minus the tools. 

I'm glad you guys agree that it’s a true sequel and I absolutely love the game. 

• Hugs 1

To me the underworld disqualifies the dlc argument right off the bat. Once I learned about that then I was over this dlc idea.   They provided enough new exploration content for a new game, it’s just they also used the explorable land from the last game and repurposed it for even more content, and then added more on top with the sky islands. And then revamped like all of the mechanics and how playing the game works and made everything way more dense and populated.  And upped the game for story content.

It’s a sequel and also an example of how to make a good sequel.

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

I bet Zelda puts pineapple on pizza, she seems like the type.

Now you got me wondering if pineapples even exist in the Zelda universe. I don't recall there being any in BotW. I know there's one in LA, but that doesn't count since none of that was real.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Now you got me wondering if pineapples even exist in the Zelda universe. I don't recall there being any in BotW. I know there's one in LA, but that doesn't count since none of that was real.

I think the fact that they are in LA proves that they don’t exist in the real universe

19 minutes ago, stepee said:

To me the underworld disqualifies the dlc argument right off the bat. Once I learned about that then I was over this dlc idea.   They provided enough new exploration content for a new game, it’s just they also used the explorable land from the last game and repurposed it for even more content, and then added more on top with the sky islands. And then revamped like all of the mechanics and how playing the game works and made everything way more dense and populated.  And upped the game for story content.

It’s a sequel and also an example of how to make a good sequel.

And theres a massive amount of content in the sky as well 

5 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Okay, so it’s not just me when it comes to money? I only just bought the Snow Quill vest for my shirt armor finally after selling some gems. I’d been walking around with that Archaic Shirt for the longest time.

there is armor to be found in many places...I'm currently switching between a barbaric shirt (+1 attack) and a glyding shirt. Both of which I have found. Talked with one of my nephews and basically all he is doing is wandering the map looking for the hidden armor pieces

• Halal 1

59 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

there is armor to be found in many places...I'm currently switching between a barbaric shirt (+1 attack) and a glyding shirt. Both of which I have found. Talked with one of my nephews and basically all he is doing is wandering the map looking for the hidden armor pieces

I found the Knights armor last night very rewarding and tiring process..

I've got a decent start, finished one temple, at least touched maybe 1/3 of the map, spent some time in the sky and in the depths, and I continue to be seriously impressed. I liked BOTW, but I thought people were often a bit hyperbolic about it. I loved that you could solve puzzles in so many different ways, but I thought that the world was overly sparse and too often you didn't need to be terribly inventive with the mechanics. It felt like a game world that didn't fully embrace the full zaniness of what you could do.

TOTK feels so much more refined. Not only are the mechanics much more interesting and complex, but so much more of the world feels like it's demanding you do crazy things, even just to get around. I'm dying so much more and doing so much more experimentation and literal invention; it's immensely satisfying. There are times, especially down below, that feel a little under-baked, geometry for geometry's sake, but most of the sky islands and even Hyrule itself feel crafted in a way that BOTW didn't. It's incredible how many of the shrines keep revealing new things, new combinations I hadn't thought to try. It's revealing the game to me in such a wonderful way.

As someone that joined the chorus to complain about weapons breaking in BOTW, I don't have that complaint anymore. With fuse, I almost never feel like I'm worried about carrying around the right weapons. I can turn something useless into something very useful or powerful as soon as I need it. The exceptions are stone and rock fuzes, which create hammers and axes, and I wish I could carry something that I could make those items (maybe I can, let me know if so!). I try to always keep one handy, but there have been a couple times where I've run out of hammer and have to expend something else to grab some ore.

I do have some complaints, and they're so basic compared to the exciting things that the game gets so right, it's almost bizarre that they didn't come up with better solutions. The controls are really confusing, and not allowing any kind of button remapping is a self inflicted wound. I hate that I can't use the quick access menu to hold an object, only to drop it. Even to throw it you need to hit R first, which I took far too long to re-discover. I don't know why I can't just use a shop interface instead of the whole song and dance to use the vending machines for zonai devices. The whole conversion of ore to charges to batteries is over complicated. I also think the game is really overly stingy with giving you hearts back. Fast travel should heal you, and I wouldn't mind some auto-health regen. Make it out of combat and only for the first X hearts or whatever, but come on. It really drives you to the cooking pot too often.

Speaking of which, I think the game puts way too much emphasis on cooking in general, to the point I'm really starting to resent it. First of all, if I find a shrub that increases some resistance or whatever, I should just be able to eat it to get that benefit. Sure, allow me to cook it so that I get hearts and stamina (or whatever), but just allow me to eat it raw. It means I have this whole inventory of shrubs, and every once in a while I have to cook a bunch of them just in case I actually need them. Have an urgent need for something in the wild? Well, the zonai cooking pot is one time use! Make it timed at least, but one cook is insane. Even when you're at a pot, if you have a lot of stuff to cook, it's a real pain in the neck, even if recipes make things slightly better. I really wish I could tell it I want to make a given recipe X times, or cook all my herbs. I just feel like I have to spend way too much time cooking, and it's a chore more than anything. It's a barrier to fun.

Still, like I said, these are petty complaints compared to the exceptional state of the game. It's a joy to play that makes me feel like a kid again: discovering some fun or useful or stupid thing to do with the powers. Even in these early stages, it's easily better than BOTW and probably my favorite game in ages.

As an aside, the clip that I got to use the pro controller has easily proven its worth. I hate playing the switch handheld, to the point it can be painful. Using the pro-controller has completely changed my willingness to play it handheld, which is important since I'm leaving for a long trip this week and I'll have plenty of time to put into Zelda. The only difficult thing is going to be not burning through the game this week at home.

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

if referencing drop kicking a zombie dog in a movie from over 20 years is a spoiler..

14 minutes ago, Brick said:

I think he meant spoiling the shrine. 

Yea and it's no big deal at all. :p

17 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I've got a decent start, finished one temple, at least touched maybe 1/3 of the map, spent some time in the sky and in the depths, and I continue to be seriously impressed. I liked BOTW, but I thought people were often a bit hyperbolic about it. I loved that you could solve puzzles in so many different ways, but I thought that the world was overly sparse and too often you didn't need to be terribly inventive with the mechanics. It felt like a game world that didn't fully embrace the full zaniness of what you could do.

TOTK feels so much more refined. Not only are the mechanics much more interesting and complex, but so much more of the world feels like it's demanding you do crazy things, even just to get around. I'm dying so much more and doing so much more experimentation and literal invention; it's immensely satisfying. There are times, especially down below, that feel a little under-baked, geometry for geometry's sake, but most of the sky islands and even Hyrule itself feel crafted in a way that BOTW didn't. It's incredible how many of the shrines keep revealing new things, new combinations I hadn't thought to try. It's revealing the game to me in such a wonderful way.

As someone that joined the chorus to complain about weapons breaking in BOTW, I don't have that complaint anymore. With fuse, I almost never feel like I'm worried about carrying around the right weapons. I can turn something useless into something very useful or powerful as soon as I need it. The exceptions are stone and rock fuzes, which create hammers and axes, and I wish I could carry something that I could make those items (maybe I can, let me know if so!). I try to always keep one handy, but there have been a couple times where I've run out of hammer and have to expend something else to grab some ore.

I do have some complaints, and they're so basic compared to the exciting things that the game gets so right, it's almost bizarre that they didn't come up with better solutions. The controls are really confusing, and not allowing any kind of button remapping is a self inflicted wound. I hate that I can't use the quick access menu to hold an object, only to drop it. Even to throw it you need to hit R first, which I took far too long to re-discover. I don't know why I can't just use a shop interface instead of the whole song and dance to use the vending machines for zonai devices. The whole conversion of ore to charges to batteries is over complicated. I also think the game is really overly stingy with giving you hearts back. Fast travel should heal you, and I wouldn't mind some auto-health regen. Make it out of combat and only for the first X hearts or whatever, but come on. It really drives you to the cooking pot too often.

Speaking of which, I think the game puts way too much emphasis on cooking in general, to the point I'm really starting to resent it. First of all, if I find a shrub that increases some resistance or whatever, I should just be able to eat it to get that benefit. Sure, allow me to cook it so that I get hearts and stamina (or whatever), but just allow me to eat it raw. It means I have this whole inventory of shrubs, and every once in a while I have to cook a bunch of them just in case I actually need them. Have an urgent need for something in the wild? Well, the zonai cooking pot is one time use! Make it timed at least, but one cook is insane. Even when you're at a pot, if you have a lot of stuff to cook, it's a real pain in the neck, even if recipes make things slightly better. I really wish I could tell it I want to make a given recipe X times, or cook all my herbs. I just feel like I have to spend way too much time cooking, and it's a chore more than anything. It's a barrier to fun.

Still, like I said, these are petty complaints compared to the exceptional state of the game. It's a joy to play that makes me feel like a kid again: discovering some fun or useful or stupid thing to do with the powers. Even in these early stages, it's easily better than BOTW and probably my favorite game in ages.

As an aside, the clip that I got to use the pro controller has easily proven its worth. I hate playing the switch handheld, to the point it can be painful. Using the pro-controller has completely changed my willingness to play it handheld, which is important since I'm leaving for a long trip this week and I'll have plenty of time to put into Zelda. The only difficult thing is going to be not burning through the game this week at home.

If I was ever going to play the switch again after this, I would buy one of those clips. As it is, I haven’t used my oled since XBC3, and now I have two. Though the zelda edition is staying sealed. Before XBC3, I think the only times I’ve used it since Odyssey was Luigi’s mansion and Triangle Strategy. Yet somehow I own 3 of the damn things. An og and two oled. 

I only kept the og because it can dump roms, apparently the newer ones can’t.

7 hours ago, best3444 said:

After hitting hyrule and taking a few more shrines down...ask myself...is this really a sequel or dlc like content? 🤔 

I still love it but I'm interested in what you guys think. 

I think this is a fair question when you're in pretty early. And I think that's because while the intro area is super cool and impressive, once you get your feet on the world below, you'll definitely spend a few hours going "But isn't this is just BotW with some different powers?"

It's not until you've done like more content than all of BotW combined and have only visited like 2 major towns that you start to realize BotW was like the unfinished prototype map for the game Nintendo wanted to make. There's seriously so much more, and it's all so much more well done.

By the hour count I'm at now in BotW, I was totally done and bored with the game because the limited toolset crippled your ability to interact with the world on a deeper level, and the extremely sparse non-shrine, non-korok seed content meant there was very little to actually look forward to in the world itself. I think I said it when back in the pre-purge thread, but it felt like you already knew every single reward you'd ever get long before you arrived at your destination, which really robbed a lot of fun out of the exploration they had built up so painstakingly with such a nice handcrafted world and lack of map icons to keep you curious.

Despite playing very similar to BotW on a surface level, and definitely feeling similar in the first few hours, I am totally enthralled by ToTK at like 200 hours of playtime (or something, I imagine I left the game running a few dozen times while doing errands) whereas I was completely checked out of BotW by now.

P.S. Has anybody on the internet ever played DLC?? I only ask because every experience I've recently had with DLC is it's like 2-5 hours of content max, and usually if there's a new mechanic it feels unfinished and sad. Y'all playing some wild DLC if multiple hundreds of hours worth of content is DLC!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Ascend is probably my most used power though, I use it any time I have a roof above me to check out what's above! Since you can cancel it you don't even have to commit!

I'm trying to get into the habit of just using it for kicks more, because while I'm still early, every puzzle that had me temporarily stumped was because I forgot about it!

17 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Ascend is probably my most used power though, I use it any time I have a roof above me to check out what's above! Since you can cancel it you don't even have to commit!

I'm trying to get into the habit of just using it for kicks more, because while I'm still early, every puzzle that had me temporarily stumped was because I forgot about it!