Amazon joins the D.C. Chamber of Commerce

Jason

3 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Wasn't "functioning public transit" a requirement? Wouldn't that eliminate DC? Lol

BAZINGA!!!

Also.... if they choose MoGoCo I will be ass raped on both ends.....as 1. My house is three miles down the road from their proposed location and my property taxes will skyrocket and 2. My taxes will already be fucked because of the huge ass crazy incentives that MoGoCo offered Amazon.   That's like a double tax fuck.  I'd be paying more in taxes for them to come and fucking increase my taxes.

2 hours ago, Alpha1Cowboy said:

BAZINGA!!!

Also.... if they choose MoGoCo I will be ass raped on both ends.....as 1. My house is three miles down the road from their proposed location and my property taxes will skyrocket and 2. My taxes will already be fucked because of the huge ass crazy incentives that MoGoCo offered Amazon.   That's like a double tax fuck.  I'd be paying more in taxes for them to come and fucking increase my taxes.

Sounds like it's gonna be a seller's market for you!

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Then move where?

Exactly!   I mean...I could work anywhere as my job is fluid...but my wife is a Prof at a local community college where she is able to walk to work and commuting in this region is no fun

Plus after going thorugh all this pain of getting the house renovated/built  (no we still don't have a roof..or HVAC)  I want to live in it lol

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

Why would you be upset about your taxes going up if your property value went up as well? People are so weird.

Uh...because you have to pay the taxes now, but don't benefit from the increase in value until later. 

3 minutes ago, Jose said:

No I'm not a NIMBY. If you are so mad that your property is worth more money, sell it and buy elsewhere.

I didn't say you're a NIMBY. But a lot of NIMBYism is driven by this viewing of housing as an investment to the point of finding it unfathomable that someone might care more about actually living in the house right now. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I didn't say you're a NIMBY. But a lot of NIMBYism is driven by this viewing of housing as an investment to the point of finding it unfathomable that someone might care more about actually living in the house right now. 

Seems like I'm on the wrong side here, but I don't quite get why. For example, the suburb I'm looking to buy my house into has a semi-bustling downtown.  People from neighboring towns come to this downtown area to have dinner all the time, but there is a massive parking issue. The town has FINALLY decided to build a parking garage to accommodate this, and many residents are up in arms. They don't want their taxes going up. This seems like NIMBYism to me, but am I looking at this wrong?

14 minutes ago, Jose said:

Seems like I'm on the wrong side here, but I don't quite get why. For example, the suburb I'm looking to buy my house into has a semi-bustling downtown.  People from neighboring towns come to this downtown area to have dinner all the time, but there is a massive parking issue. The town has FINALLY decided to build a parking garage to accommodate this, and many residents are up in arms. They don't want their taxes going up. This seems like NIMBYism to me, but am I looking at this wrong?

Parking in general is a bad idea, though parkades (especially if hidden) are better than street parking. The best solution is very limited parking (both in time and space) to force residents to use alternatives modes of travel. This has to be matched by public transit.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Parking in general is a bad idea, though parkades (especially if hidden) are better than street parking. The best solution is very limited parking (both in time and space) to force residents to use alternatives modes of travel. This has to be matched by public transit.

Not just matched by transit, but by frequent, good, reliable transit. And really only works in the core of a region