2022 Midterm Thread

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok, 90% of the board are rich snobs. Sorry for the error. 

@stepee I wasn't influenced by anyone by saying what I did. It's the reality that I have learned after reading all the bullshit on this particular board for a few years. It's fucking disgusting and of course I'll get ganged up on here. Thankfully I don't give two fucks. 

There are some decent people on this board but that's as far as I'll go with that.

What I think you should understand is that there is a difference between making a good enough wage to where a person is comfortable vs. being RICH. 

I'm nudging up against 6 figures and so I'm financially comfortable (mostly in part because I'm a single man with no kids or anything else). I still think about problems in society that can potentially affect me though. There are people who are so obscenely rich that they don't even think about those things. They have enough money to where they just throw dollars at it and it goes away. 

None of us on this board are that rich. While several of us are financially comfortable, that doesn't mean we're not aware of what it means to NOT be financially comfortable. The rich people out there who are boosting all the Republicans and getting laws passed that make life shitty for all of us have no idea what it's like, and they don't care if their laws make it less comfortable. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 2

After Democrats have won most elections since 2017, I think it’s time to ask if the conservatives here are really in touch with the common man as they appear to think they are. By all accounts, yesterday should have been a cakewalk for them.

Plus, are we bad at business and stocks while conservative rich people understand business and the economy, or are we rich and snobby and don’t understand things while the working Republican is trying to make ends meet? WE CAN’T BE BOTH.

• Halal 2

1 minute ago, SaysWho? said:

After Democrats have won most elections since 2017, I think it’s time to ask if the conservatives here are really in touch with the common man as they appear to think they are. By all accounts, yesterday should have been a cakewalk for them.

Plus, are we bad at business and stocks while conservative rich people understand business and the economy, or are we rich and snobby and don’t understand things while the working Republican is trying to make ends meet? WE CAN’T BE BOTH.

Yes.

just like how were the party of Hollywood but, ya know.

regan, trump, walker, oz

• True 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

At the very least, it seems “it’s the economy stupid” is now a thing of the past.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

All political common wisdom says that Trump should lose his hold on the party now. 2018 was a disaster for them. Then he lost the presidency in 2020(making him the first one term president in 25 years) and then went on to almost single handedly lose them the Senate runoffs that cost them the Senate. Now this wet fart of a result.

Oh, and he's going to be indicted soon.

On paper DeSantis should be primed to take over the party for him. In practice, I still think it all too likely that Trump will give DeSantis a goofy nickname at the first primary debate and Trump will yet again be the prohibitive favorite. Part of that is because he is the idiot whisperer of politics. He is the patronus of privileged white grievance in this country. He speaks to them in a way no one else does,. And partly because DeSantis and his ilk are trying to beat him by outTrumping him. Why would they vote for a guy like Trump when they could just vote for Trump. And they have bought into all of Trump's hobby horses as the official party line. Saying that elections are free and fair on a Republican debate stage is nearly the equivalent of saying you are pro-choice at this point. When simply saying that Trump lost in 2020 makes you a RINO, why wouldn't you nominate him again? Every real Republican should just be grateful that circumstances allow for them to run this surefire winner for a third election victory!

I think we're starting to see it now. It's going to be hilarious when they start turning on Trump, and he starts saying non-stop insane things about all of them and then they get to act like the were never completely on his side, the side of utter and total insanity.

Everyone who supported or voted for him should have MAGA carved into their foreheads Inglorious Basterds style.

cm005-brad-pitt.gif

I will never forgive anyone who voted or supported that man. You told me who you were. You are a crazy idiot, an evil opportunist or both. So FUCK YOU. Forever.

• Sicko 1
  • Halal 3
  • Sicko Sherman 2

25 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I have a somewhat physically disabled aunt who relies on government and my grandparents money to get by as she’s never held a paying job in her life, but votes 100% Republican because of her fundamentalist Christian views.

I know several ultra conservative severely disabled people, they even admit Republicans are bad on disabilities but don't care. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I used to be "moderately conservative" when I was younger, but the older I got, the more I realized how goddamned repulsively unfair practically EVERYTHING about American society is.  Every Goddamned Thing.

Like you, the older I got and the more financially stable I became, the more my own personal politics drifted to the left.  I don't even recognize the person that I was in my 20s and early 30s at all now.

I think everyone here knows I used to be a pretty strident libertarian, and the past couple of months (including last night) I was canvassing for my local Democratic Club telling people about our awesome progressive slate for city council. 

I still consider myself a libertarian in some respects but the LP got taken over by MAGAts, and the GOP obviously just wants to burn the country to the ground, and a lot of establishment Democrats are fine pissing off enough people that they can't win. So here we are, stumping for progressives is the only thing that really makes sense for me on the balance of the things I care about. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

At the very least, it seems “it’s the economy stupid” is now a thing of the past.

Is it? What does this midterm look like if Roe wasn't overturned? There may have been events that overshadowed the economy for many, but I'm not sure I'd call the adage a thing of the past quite yet.

• Halal 1

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

An interesting area where Dems are doing pretty well too: state legislature seats

This will be quite the thing going forward if they can maintain momentum in future cycles. The GOP strengthened their position in state legislatures in 2010 and the consequences of that are still lingering until now. The Dems should have put more focus on this much sooner.