2022 Midterm Thread

9 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I gotta agree with him. 5 hours is usually my max. Im up drinking coffee by 530, in bed at 11, but I never go right to sleep. Usually I read. 

Obviously everyone is different, but thats a good amount.

Damn, I’m in bed by 9 usually and up no later than 5:30. I shoot for 8 daily. Kids and life make it hard but I’m a stickler for sleep. 

43 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Gotta find time to play video games and run while still spending time with the kids.

I feel this in my soul. Kids are in bed and asleep by around 9/9:30...even though I send them to bed at 8:30...then I'm cleaning up, taking care of their bags and clothes for school the next day. By the time I'm done, it's close to midnight, sometimes even later. The latest I can be up to get the kids ready for school is 7, so at most I'm getting 7 hours of sleep if everything goes well. I'm too wound up after everything to go straight to bed, though. I still need to sit and relax with some games or anime. As long as I don't get caught up in a game, I'm averaging like 5-6 hours of sleep, though I do admit there are a couple of nights where Xenoblade stuck me with only 3 or 4 hours.

I just put together a treadmill desk, so I guess I'll at least be walking while working starting tomorrow.

35 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I gotta agree with him. 5 hours is usually my max. Im up drinking coffee by 530, in bed at 11, but I never go right to sleep. Usually I read. 

Obviously everyone is different, but thats a good amount.

Yeah, 5 hours isn’t healthy by any standard. I get around 7 during stretches of work and 8 or so on my off days. 

25 minutes ago, Comet said:

Damn, I’m in bed by 9 usually and up no later than 5:30. I shoot for 8 daily. Kids and life make it hard but I’m a stickler for sleep. 

9 pm would be falling asleep in the kids bed without doing anything for myself all day. My alarm on Sunday is 4 am so I can go run before they wake up. Weekdays it's around 6 am or so.

7 hours ago, Comet said:

When I was growing up, I had to get up when my grandfather got up. The only thing that changed over the years was how late I go to bed. The older I get, the less sleep I seem to need.

• Shocked 1

On the topic of PA, the people there are a mixed bag, but the land is beautiful in many places. In the deep forests of PA, you can find ferns that are waist high and often you can find little fire newts all over the place. Its kind of magical really. I spent my teenage years from 11-6 in the northeast of PA and I often think of the land and am wistful to return to it. Then I remember the people, and I know I've made some good choices. :p 

• True 1
  • Halal 2

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

On the topic of PA, the people there are a mixed bag, but the land is beautiful in many places. In the deep forests of PA, you can find ferns that are waist high and often you can find little fire newts all over the place. Its kind of magical really. I spent my teenage years from 11-6 in the northeast of PA and I often think of the land and am wistful to return to it. Then I remember the people, and I know I've made some good choices. :p 

My only experience with PA was doing a clinical rotation in the York ER back in school.

but that was enough for me feel this. Had some nurse pissed a TOURIST didn’t speak English fluently and I quote “If you’re in America speak English.” 

you inbreed hick, he speaks 4 languages 😂

• Haha 1

From Ryan Brune: 

Light red means Republican ripple. Dark red is Republican wave. Light blue is Democratic ripple, dark blue is Democratic wave.

FhfZHU6XwAAR7BM?format=png&name=small

I'm not exactly sure what metrics he used for this assessment because I'm scratching my head over Nevada being characterized as a "Republican ripple", even with the GOP candidate winning the governorship.

From Dave Wasserman:

Remarkable: the swing in the House vote vs. 2020 is currently R+7.9 (will shrink a bit), but Rs on track to net just ~2% of House seats. Biggest reasons:

1) Strong D incumbents/problematic Rs in swing seats
2) Low turnout in urban safe D seats
3) More uncontested R races

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From Ryan Brune: 

I'm not exactly sure what metrics he used for this assessment because I'm scratching my head over Nevada being characterized as a "Republican ripple", even with the GOP candidate winning the governorship.

Without any information (as is tradition) it looks like GOP gains but not majority. CA won't be going GOP for example. 

2 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

spent Saturday Off-roading at Rausch Creek in Pine Grove, PAspacer.png

• Halal 2

From Laksyha Jain:

Dems undeniably had a turnout deficit in ‘22. Not nearly to the level of 2010/14, but a very real one. They still almost won the House and gained in the Senate, entirely on persuasion. That’s a great sign for them and awful for MAGA — the turnout gap gets erased in a pres year

The signs that certain pundits were pointing to for Dem enthusiasm didn’t really point to a great year for them. They held their own in turnout just enough in that they didn’t get destroyed and so had a gap that they could close on by persuasion…

So it’s not like turnout was disastrous for them relative to a midterm. But it’s pretty important to not make the mistake of the Obama years and think that they won this off turnout. They won by getting a whole ton of voters to reject extremists and election deniers.

The italicized/bolded/highlighted sentences are critically important!

• True 1

33 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From Ryan Brune: 

Lol

yes, California definitely going red.

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

WASHINGTON – Allies of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R., Calif.) made multiple calls to Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas over the weekend and asked him if he would switch parties to...

Lmao he doesn’t have the votes

• Sicko 4

Make no mistake, there are a LOT of voters who are socially liberal (abortion rights, etc) but are still very economically conservative (bootstraps, bitch) who would absolutely vote Republican if someone like Mittens ran again.

The more Republicans push into the Christian morality vote, the more they are alienating whatever was left of the "middle," who don't really get down with the culture war bullshit but also don't like most Democrat policies.