2022 Midterm Thread

Fetterman might be in good shape...Allegheny County still has ~25% outstanding, Dauphin County (Harrisburg) only has 37% reported, Philly and the surrounding counties are all under ~30% reported; meanwhile a fair amount of red rural counties are nearly fully reported.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Worth remembering that the current makeup of the house is relatively tight heading into a midterm, so the typical “wave election” narrative doesn’t quite fit. Don’t need many net flips to grab power.

I went in expecting to lose both houses so if we keep the Senate, that will be stunning.

5 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Fetterman might be in good shape...Allegheny County still has ~25% outstanding, Dauphin County (Harrisburg) only has 37% reported, Philly and the surrounding counties are all under ~30% reported; meanwhile a fair amount of red rural counties are nearly fully reported.

I will thank you personally if he wins.

• Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Damn, marijuana is badly losing here. Wonder if it’s because we’re so conservative or because it was just such a shit bill. 

Has marijuana lost at all where it’s been on the ballot in recent years?

Failed in Ohio when they had a referendum that basically gave a monopoly to grow and distribute. Even NORML was against it iirc

14 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Damn, marijuana is badly losing here. Wonder if it’s because we’re so conservative or because it was just such a shit bill. 

Has marijuana lost at all where it’s been on the ballot in recent years?

It lost in Arizona in 2016 and then came back and won in 2020. 

Anyway it looks like marijuana is losing in other red states this year as well. I read that there has been some frustration amongst marijuana reform organizations operating state campaigns ; they claim the money is flowing to congressional lobbying rather than state efforts. 

It may be too early to call any initiatives besides Maryland. 

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Worth remembering that the current makeup of the house is relatively tight heading into a midterm, so the typical “wave election” narrative doesn’t quite fit. Don’t need many net flips to grab power.

Right-wing media has spent the better part of this year assuring listeners/watchers that a red wave was guaranteed. 

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Failed in Ohio when they had a referendum that basically gave a monopoly to grow and distribute. Even NORML was against it iirc

That’s what we got on the ballot. I actually voted against it. Also didn’t do anything for people currently sitting in jail on marijuana convictions. 

I want it legalized, but not like that. I’m hoping we get a better bill down the line. 

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Shapiros opponent was trash, and Oz for all his faults, wasn’t a complete pile of shit for running a campaign

Shapiro is also way better than Fetterman so it’s hard to tell how much of this was Mastriano being terrible vs Shapiro being awesome.

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unfortunately, a smaller GOP minority means needing to appeal to the absolute worst chuds in the GOP caucus. That means more stop the steal stuff, anti-trans stuff, pro-Russia stuff, etc.

Not really, there’s gonna be some Rs with razor thin margins and aren’t complete dipshits who would vote with Ds to eg keep the government open