2022 Midterm Thread

3 minutes ago, Brian said:

College was all about AOL instant messenger. 

even though I got Covid, I voted. I don’t think my vote matters much at the higher level but there is a lot BS happening locally so I voted. I double masked and wore gloves. I kept all verbal communication to head nods or a simple yes. 

It's honestly amazing a lot of us were on AIM and just sat there waiting for people to sign on while we kept busy on the internet. Hearing the door open and seeing a friend just come online was magical. xD

• Like 3
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

It's honestly amazing a lot of us were on AIM and just sat there waiting for people to sign on while we kept busy on the internet. Hearing the door open and seeing a friend just come online was magical. xD

It was amazing to keep in touch with friends especially since back then each text cost money. Only downside was dating. “Why hasn’t she responded to the IM? She is online. I can see her. Do I IM her again?” The old dating insecurities. Don’t miss those times. 

4 minutes ago, Brian said:

It was amazing to keep in touch with friends especially since back then each text cost money. Only downside was dating. “Why hasn’t she responded to the IM? She is online. I can see her. Do I IM her again?” The old dating insecurities. Don’t miss those times. 

I also think AIM should have been foreshadowing for FB statuses when people used their away messages to vent about something or tell jokes. I remember some guy had an away msg like, "man nobody talk to me im so fucking pissed i could punch a hole in the wall right now so just don't talk to me right now, so pissed," and I'm like, "Then why are you online?" That became the "FB status that talks vaguely about something negative in hopes multiple people ask what's wrong."

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It is when it’s natty light

It's funny you say that because there are exactly two types of engineering students: guys who crack open nattys with the boys and watch football, and guys who drink La Fin Du Monde and play Civ all night (like Jason). Neither one get laid much relative to the higher sexed demos (marching band, arts/theatre students, any food service place near campus).

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

It's funny you say that because there are exactly two types of engineering students: guys who crack open nattys with the boys and watch football, and guys who drink La Fin Du Monde and play Civ all night (like Jason). Neither one get laid much relative to the higher sexed demos (marching band, arts/theatre students, any food service place near campus).

To be fair the band and theatre students set the bar so high it’s impossible for anyone to compare to them

can vouch for food service though

8 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Is Hochul going to beat Zeldin? That's what really matter to me. I dont want some Trump dickriding, America-hating traitor as my governor. 

I do think she will, but it will be far, far closer than it ever should've been.

From what I've read over the last few weeks, she ran a pretty lousy campaign.

13 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I do think she will, but it will be far, far closer than it ever should've been.

From what I've read over the last few weeks, she ran a pretty lousy campaign.

she really didnt run any campaign. and truth be told, bail reform is very unpopular even amongst moderate dems, at least from my anecdotal evidence. 

52 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

I had someone from school on my AIM list who would religiously update his status with exactly where he was and what he was doing. Even then I thought it was pretty weird.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Simpler times.

• Hugs 1